Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

POT-MOD Alpha 105

I was just wondering if this was possible and if has done it or if anyone knew how to open one of the Alpha model lasers to pot mod it up a bit. I want to give my 105mw a bit of a boost.

If you want a boost, give it fresh batteries - don't kill it with a pot mod.

Cyparagon said:
If you want a boost, give it fresh batteries - don't kill it with a
pot mod.

So true... I refuse to pot mod anything over $50. Try uning some rechargable batteries for a boost in voltage.... but again.... that may break it.

If you want to pot mod feel free and be sure to take pics! Just do not over do it by too much!

Gazoo

spinout059 said:
[quote author=Cyparagon link=1201381508/0#1 date=1201394673]If you want a boost, give it fresh batteries - don't kill it with a
pot mod.

So true... I refuse to pot mod anything over $50. Try uning some rechargable batteries for a boost in voltage.... but again.... that may break it.

If you want to pot mod feel free and be sure to take pics! Just do not over do it by too much![/quote]

Using rechargeable nimh batteries will not break any laser. Using li-ion batteries very well may burn the regulator and/or diode out, and is not recommended unless the laser is built to meet up to their specs.

alphas are rated for an input voltage of about 3.6v is the max they can take

I did put fresh batteries in it. e2 lithiums and this laser just has a hard time lighting matches, just not enough power. I might sell it and get something more powerful.

Lazerhigh said:
I did put fresh batteries in it. e2 lithiums and this laser just has a hard time lighting matches, just not enough power. I might sell it and get something more powerful.

So you will be willing to spend more than $289 just to light matches. How long do you think you'll find that entertaining. Save your money.
If the laser is past warranty you can unscrew the aperture and adjust the lens so it focuses the beam. That won't cost you a thing. You can make a gripping tool from pliers by grinding down the teeth and using some soft plastic tubing from the hardware store to prevent marring the paint.

Gazoo

Lazerhigh said:

Interesting...my X105 will light a non-sharpied safety match instantly.

Well obviously I bought it for more reasons than just lighting matches, but when I go to show the laser it looses some of it's awe when you have to rub the match on the box to light it, and even then it takes a few seconds with new e2's.

Well I got one of the barely 105mw 105's. Mine has a 108mw average. Sometimes when I first turn it on it does well with matches, but then it doesn't. Thought maybe it was the temperature, or bad batts, I keep putting new e2's and the power is never what I really wanted.

I wonder if something has gone wrong, cause you would think that 100+mw's should have no problem with matches. It's like there's a bad connection somewhere and like I'm not getting the full 3V power of my batteries. IDK.

Lazerhigh said:
Well obviously I bought it for more reasons than just lighting matches, but when I go to show the laser it looses some of it's awe when you have to rub the match on the box to light it, and even then it takes a few seconds with new e2's.

Well I got one of the barely 105mw 105's. Mine has a 108mw average. Sometimes when I first turn it on it does well with matches, but then it doesn't. Thought maybe it was the temperature, or bad batts, I keep putting new e2's and the power is never what I really wanted.

I wonder if something has gone wrong, cause you would think that 100+mw's should have no problem with matches. It's like there's a bad connection somewhere and like I'm not getting the full 3V power of my batteries. IDK.

your matches could be bad too, the ones i have won't really light with my 100mw red laser unless i scratch off the outer coating

thought of that too and tried different types of matches and the results were the same. It is still under warranty and I emailed them and they said send it back and they will take a look at it and see whats up ;D Sweet maybe they will just give me another one that really works.

Nova right! I'd talk with the company first! Also maybe sell that one and buy one hand selected for the stability and output you feel you need. Best Wishes! -Glenn

Maybe your alpha is mode hopping, which will severely affect your burning power. Sometimes its not so easy to detect mode hopping most people seem to notice it when they are using optics. Good Luck!

Gazoo

Lazerhigh said:
thought of that too and tried different types of matches and the results were the same. It is still under warranty and I emailed them and they said send it back and they will take a look at it and see whats up ;D Sweet maybe they will just give me another one that really works.

If it's still under warranty send it in. If they replace it, it will be more than worth the hassle. I am sure Nova will agree your laser should easily light matches.