Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

I'd work for free for this job too, but I need money to live, not on retirement yet.

Of course. I would just love to be able to work along side all the excellent professionals who are trying to bring fusion reactors to fruition at MIT. That would be a dream job for me....and, if I were younger, it would look great on a resume.

I am like you Paul, this is my only shot at a job which would allow that.

Believe me though, this is the far more difficult path for me right now, a year in Boston, then moving to San Diego to work with a larger tokamak when I emptied most of my bank account buying my retirement apartment in Ukraine is a squeeze. I need the cheapest place I can find because all my belongings are still in Alaska in an apartment I'm still paying rent on and I can't go back up there to put my stuff in storage for months, if I can even get the time off to do so. I can't afford to move my vehicles and belongings to Boston just to move them again at the end of the year to SD.

There will be a whole lot to learn, so I will be working many extra hours. Dream job but the timing is very bad, but the opportunity for fun in the job great. However, with all of this, would you take the job anyway? Moot question though, at this point as I’m already in. This is my only shot at a job like this, at 61 years old, the opportunity won't come again.

Last edited:
Yeah, that makes it more difficult to decide. I hope it is enough to make you want to do it. But, that is a decision you, and maybe your wife will have to make.

That's beautiful - picture with the engineer working inside the machine reminds me of pictures of JET at Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, here in the UK. Was friends at University with a chap that was working in remote-handling robotics (haptics for remote manipulators) there - he always had pictures from the belly of the beast there on his phone etc.! Not sure they'd let you stand inside the tokamak before your first day on the job so I'm sure nobody minds that it's not your picture :)

All the best wishes for your living situation while you're in Boston.

One year in Boston, then four in SD. I need to get a 4 megawatt 4.6 GHz transmitter tested and shipped to San Diego for use on the DIII-D Tokamak ran by General Atomics, MIT has some time on it each year to test their RF drive control of the plasma field.

I think I’d rather live in Boston, love the culture here.

Last edited:
San Diego is on the same coast as I am, but you couldn't go further south and still be in the US.

One year in Boston, then four in SD. I need to get a 4 megawatt 4.6 GHz transmitter tested and shipped to San Diego for use on the DIII-D Tokamak ran by General Atomics, MIT has some time on it each year to test their RF drive control of the plasma field.

I think I’d rather live in Boston, love the culture here.

4 Megawatt is going to be a large piece of equipment, will that be built on site or is it going to somehow be portable ?

Solid state ?

I have seem 10 Megawatt tube type for BTH and 2 Megawatt solid state for radio but at 4.6 GHZ ...... How big will that be ?

Last edited:
They use eight water cooled Klystron tubes and combine the outputs using an unusual waveguide scheme. Here’s one of the new tubes they will be using: