Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

It looks like a perfectly grown ruby. The color is even nice. They could have made it out of industrial diamond as that is harder and since they are mostly black, they aren't very expensive.

Thorlabs appears to sell the ruby tool as well, there must be a reason for it being ruby, I don't know what it is, let me know if you discover it.

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=2284

Here's a company that sells diamond sapphire and ruby, maybe they detail the difference and why it's used.

http://www.brucediamond.com/products/fiber_optic_scribes/

Here's another....looks like ruby is the least expensive, that may well be the main reason.

https://www.specialized.net/fiber-optic/fiber-tools/fiber-optic-scribes.html

Last edited:
From the links you gave, it looks like they use natural diamond. Can't think of a good reason for that, but since it is harder than ruby they likely get away with charging more for them. If one wanted to make scribing tools out of diamond, you could do it with a faceting platter and finer and finer grades of diamond powder. It is basically the same as cutting a diamond for jewelry.

Last edited:
I wonder why they bothered adding the Cr+3 ions to the crystal as it makes it red, but doesn't make it harder. Maybe it is just cheaper to buy the rubies made for jewelry. I'm pretty sure they are cut on a faceting wheel. Looks like a perfect 45* angle.

I used three types - ruby, diamond, and carbide.

The most inconvenient was with the diamond - the edge is short.
I did not feel that carbide was sharp enough.
Ruby is fine when it's new and hasn't chipped.

Red color stands out on a fiber. Thus you're working not just on a feeling but with eyes too. Similar thing I heard for watch rubies - less strain on eyes to see and place them than sapphires.

I wonder if diamond would not be a better choice if it is synthetic. Rubies will chip along the sharp edge, but I believe diamond would last much longer. I understand the small size of the diamond scribes available through the links so far are too small. That is why a synthetic one could be as large as the ruby scribes. By adding small amounts of metal ions, the diamonds could be grown in many different colors.

Got this LaserProbe inc. RKT-150-Cal Hd thermopile cheap on ebay, while waiting for the manufacturer to respond to my email, anyone here ever cal these by injecting a voltage? I tried, the cal coil is measuring about 53 ohms, if my cheap DVM is to be believed, but injecting a range of low DC voltage does not cause the current drawn to be more than 100 mA and it sticks there above about 3 VDC. Anyone know what the typical voltage used is?

Chris I don't see any thermopile, all I see is that gorgeous host.... :drool:

:beer:

That calorimeter is smaller than my Scientech AC2500. Mine weighs about 2 lbs. and has a 1 inch diameter target you have to hit. No problems there. Looks like a nice score especially if it is as cheap as you said and still works.

I should be able to calibrate it but I'm not getting a response from LaserProbe Inc. yet to understand the reason behind why I'm not pulling the current I expected into the 50 ohm cal load when varying the input voltage, but shooting the output of a NUBM44 pulling 5 amps into the driver into it, I'm measuring 25 millivolts from the BNC. I wanted to use it without the meter, if I can get an idea of how many mV is how many watts, after looking at the correction curve for wavelength. Then sensor is only about 17 mm wide, small compared to my 300 watt sensor at home, but for fifty dollars, this was a good find :)

Yep, that brass with copper host is one of my favorites Lifetime made, heavy for it's size, I only have a single mode 495 nm diode in it, should be something with more power for the amount of heat sink.

Attachments

• Rkt150F.pdf
    137.7 KB · Views: 10
Yep, that brass with copper host is one of my favorites Lifetime made, heavy for it's size, I only have a single mode 495 nm diode in it, should be something with more power for the amount of heat sink.

eyepopping.gif

LOL, you have a 495 diode in that thing?
Have you thought about active cooling it?
:crackup:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I think you should also incorporate a TEC in there as well. You may still require more cooling. :p

It's doing its job, can't feel it warm up at all! I'm waiting for Jerry to chime in here, I PM'd him asking about what a typical setup is for something like this, giving him this link.

That is a good looking host, a 1w yellow beam would look awesome shooting from it if we had them available.

4_CE2_BF1_C_F9_A8_43_DF_B03_A_ADD8_F12_ED5_D9.jpg

Last edited:
That is a good looking host, a 1w yellow beam would look awesome shooting from it if we had them available.

4_CE2_BF1_C_F9_A8_43_DF_B03_A_ADD8_F12_ED5_D9.jpg

:crackup: indeed it would. I tried tagging you back with rep but it wouldnt let me :(

Last edited: