Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

I was surprised by the quality from such a small scope too. I have always thought I'd need a 300mm aperture scope, at least, to get any photos so nice of galaxies so far away.

Beautiful shots Gabe !
Love them mate.
So good to see you post again. (Not that I can talk :crackup:)

Paul you'd be so surprised what can be captured even with a standard dslr+lens.
Basically a lens is a mini telescope as you know.
It's all about the FOV, field of view, of the object.
For example, The Andromeda Galaxy is huge so even a regular lens can be used to capture it.
Obviously though the ability of the photographer is what makes all the difference.
Gabe's done a fantastic job with these.
Well done.

:beer:
RB

Gabe

I was surprised by the quality from such a small scope too. I have always thought I'd need a 300mm aperture scope, at least, to get any photos so nice of galaxies so far away.

I agree, I'm pretty surprised at the fact that there's any detail at all in those galaxies in pic 1 considering that's less than 10 minutes of exposure time, and they're 35 million light years away!

I'll be the first to say my ability to do astro-photography exists in my mind, only. I have never even tried to do it. I would need to get out of town and have clear skies, my tripod and a whole lot of time to even see if I could do it at all.

Gabe

I'll be the first to say my ability to do astro-photography exists in my mind, only. I have never even tried to do it. I would need to get out of town and have clear skies, my tripod and a whole lot of time to even see if I could do it at all.

The learning curve is super steep but so is the improvement curve. I can't think of a more challenging yet rewarding area of photography. The lasers are super useful for aiming your scope or pointing out objects to your friends, too! :D

Andrew I didn't even see your reply! Thanks so much man :)

Last edited:
I was answering RB Astro's comment about just using a camera to take these photos. I do have a decent Canon DSLR and a good tripod. I suspect I could possibly get some photos of nebulae, but nothing as good as the disk spiral galaxies you got with your telescope.

Great photos, Gabe!
Nice to see you posting again. :yh:

I was answering RB Astro's comment about just using a camera to take these photos. I do have a decent Canon DSLR and a good tripod. I suspect I could possibly get some photos of nebulae, but nothing as good as the disk spiral galaxies you got with your telescope.

^^^ what they said +rep:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

I can't think of a more challenging yet rewarding area of photography.
The lasers are super useful for aiming your scope...
Andrew I didn't even see your reply! Thanks so much man :)
You're welcome Gabe, no problem.
I agree that Astro photography is very challenging and richly rewarding.
Also agree that using a laser is great to line up scopes.

Like any challenging hobby Paul, you have to start off with small steps.
As you grow from the trials you learn and improve.
I don't know if you've seen a thread I posted a while back now about not necessarily needing a big telescope to take good pics.
As you mentioned an aperture of around 300mm, have a look at what I took using a DSLR with 135mm lens on a mount.
It was 2 hours worth of exposure in Scorpius.
Wish our eyes could see colour at night. :cryyy:

https://laserpointerforums.com/f57/no-i-didn-t-use-telescope-91476-2.html#post1329323

:)
RB

diachi

Fantastic shots Gabe! :beer:

@Arctic, if you think Finland is bad, imagine what the rest of the world is like! ;) :p

Fantastic shots Gabe! :beer:

@Arctic, if you think Finland is bad, imagine what the rest of the world is like! ;) :p

That was just self sarcasm :D

We are happy nutters as you can see:

meanwhile-in-police-officer.jpg

:D

Like any challenging hobby Paul, you have to start off with small steps.
As you grow from the trials you learn and improve.
I don't know if you've seen a thread I posted a while back now about not necessarily needing a big telescope to take good pics.
As you mentioned an aperture of around 300mm, have a look at what I took using a DSLR with 135mm lens on a mount.
It was 2 hours worth of exposure in Scorpius.
Wish our eyes could see colour at night. :cryyy:

https://laserpointerforums.com/f57/no-i-didn-t-use-telescope-91476-2.html#post1329323

:)
RB

I don't have a telephoto lens for my camera, much less a tracking mount. I was hoping to get by with a standard 35mm lens used for maybe a minute. If it will take more, I'll have to put that idea on hold. :whistle:

Gabe

I don't have a telephoto lens for my camera, much less a tracking mount. I was hoping to get by with a standard 35mm lens used for maybe a minute. If it will take more, I'll have to put that idea on hold. :whistle:

Hey that's perfect! Untracked widefield photography is what I started in. Take several exposures as long exposures, limited to about 15 seconds to avoid star trails. You can stack your exposures to further increase detail and reduce noise, you can get some pretty awesome images that way.

And thanks Adam! Good to hear from you again.

Thanks for the advice, Gabe. I will try it once it warms up a little more at night when I can get a clear sky out of town. :D