Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post Your GUN (PICS)

DTR

I have always wondered why they do that with wire.:thinking:

Maybe for some reason the gauge is numbered in reverse. I tried to Google around, but couldnt find much. Only that they use a star gauge to measure riffles, but cant find any info on star gauges.

HIMNL9

(i know i have to keep my mouth closed, but really can't resist :p)

I have always wondered why they do that with wire

..... cause English peoples thinks upside down ? ..... :eg: :evil: :crackup:

(j/k, no offense intended ..... is just that only "imperial" measure systems have so much mess, with different quantities for similar units, and NONE of them is base-10 ..... :p :D)

HIMNL9

No, we use metrics (only few countries still uses imperial system, i think ..... UK over all, ofcourse ;))

EDIT: i think is probably matter of being born and grow in a particular system of measures ..... i feel them (imperial) a mess, but probably only cause i'm used with decimals .....

Also, for hunting rifles, why more you decrease the numbers, more the size increase ?

;) :D

For rifles, the number goes up with a wider bullet.

thinnest to thickest:
.17 HMR
.223 (.22 and .223 are the same thickness, but the .223 has a bigger cartridge)

etc.

for shotguns, a lower number is thicker.
.410 is the thinnest (this is labeled like a standard bullet for some reason)
28 gauge
20 gauge
16 gauge
12 gauge
10 gauge is thickest

16 and 10 gauge are very hard to find these days. My friend has a 10 gauge and I saw a 16 gauge and some ammo for a few hundred bucks at an antique show, but it was REALLY old.

Last edited:
Never seen/heard of a 10 gauge.

Just watched a video of a girl shooting, LOL. The riffle is almost as tall as she is.

A 10 gauge is usually a goose gun, they used to make an 8gauge and a 4 gauge that was usually mounted in a boat!

For rifles, the number goes up with a wider bullet.

thinnest to thickest:

.17 HMR

.223 (.22 and .223 are the same thickness, but the .223 has a bigger cartridge)

etc.

for shotguns, a lower number is thicker.

.410 is the thinnest (this is labeled like a standard bullet for some reason)

28 gauge

20 gauge

16 gauge

12 gauge

10 gauge is thickest

16 and 10 gauge are very hard to find these days. My friend has a 10 gauge and I saw a 16 gauge and some ammo for a few hundred bucks at an antique show, but it was REALLY old.

I own a 16 gauge and if you look real hard you can still find shells. You can still buy a 10 gauge shotgun!

Last edited:
A 10 gauge is usually a goose gun, they used to make an 8gauge and a 4 gauge that was usually mounted in a boat!

Yep... They just shot in the general direction of the birds, and got 'em all! :crackup:
I consider them more "cannons" than shotguns. However, one time I did see a ~2 gauge custom built shoulder fired shot-cannon on a school trip. It was built by a hermit who lived along the salmon river.

Yep... They just shot in the general direction of the birds, and got 'em all! :crackup:
I consider them more "cannons" than shotguns. However, one time I did see a ~2 gauge custom built shoulder fired shot-cannon on a school trip. It was built by a hermit who lived along the salmon river.

Which Salmon River?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_River_(Idaho)

That one. We rafted about 40 miles and there was this little cabin on the side of the river. The guy who lived there built all sorts of really cool guns, including what he called the "2 gauge".

Been there!

I grew up in Idaho and spent a lot of time on the Salmon River.
That's why I asked wich one.

My cousin works in Boise on lifeflite he is a paramedic so he only works 2 to 3 days a week, the rest of the time he is a guide on the Salmon River.
My uncle has a cabin in Stanley ID so they keep the rafts there.

I have been on that river a few times that it was so rough it had class 4 & 5 rapids and I didn't think we were going to make it.

Jimmy Carter floated the river in 78, we were up there and the SS was a pain in the ass.

Been there!

I grew up in Idaho and spent a lot of time on the Salmon River.
That's why I asked wich one.

My cousin works in Boise on lifeflite he is a paramedic so he only works 2 to 3 days a week, the rest of the time he is a guide on the Salmon River.
My uncle has a cabin in Stanley ID so they keep the rafts there.

I have been on that river a few times that it was so rough it had class 4 & 5 rapids and I didn't think we were going to make it.

Jimmy Carter floated the river in 78, we were up there and the SS was a pain in the ass.

I have (or had, I guess) lifeflite insurance. :D For anyone wondering, it's a service where they will helicopter you from anywhere in idaho in an emergency for $50 a year. That means if you lose a limb skiing in the backcountry (or if you need an emergency MRI or whatever, Sun valley didn't have one), they'll come pick you up. Pretty cool.

The rapids on that river are a lot of fun, but the flats are long and boring, LOL.

I've spent some time in stanley, but the cops (maybe just cop? lol) up there can be real sticklers sometimes. Some kids were doing sparklers on the wet lawn on the 4th of july. Next to a HUGE bonfire. They fined us $350 for the sparklers. :wtf: The bakery is great though, they have some really good pancakes. Also, if you ever end up eating there, look in the little electrical box on the wall outside. ;)

Also, what do you mean by the SS?

Last edited:
I have (or had, I guess) lifeflite insurance. :D For anyone wondering, it's a service where they will helicopter you from anywhere in idaho in an emergency for $50 a year. That means if you lose a limb skiing in the backcountry (or if you need an emergency MRI or whatever, Sun valley didn't have one), they'll come pick you up. Pretty cool.

The rapids on that river are a lot of fun, but the flats are long and boring, LOL.

I've spent some time in stanley, but the cops (maybe just cop? lol) up there can be real sticklers sometimes. Some kids were doing sparklers on the wet lawn on the 4th of july. Next to a HUGE bonfire. They fined us $350 for the sparklers. :wtf: The bakery is great though, they have some really good pancakes. Also, if you ever end up eating there, look in the little electrical box on the wall outside. ;)

Also, what do you mean by the SS?

That would be the Secret Service, since Jimmy Carter was President at the time.
They had those guys everywhere, we had to maintain long distance away from them, when he stopped they would stop everyone. Having all of the Secret Service guys and their helicopters was really annoying!

My first wifes aunt & uncle owned the laundro mat/ rock shop/ postoffice. They sold it about 4 years ago. I haven't been there for about 6 years. If you went in the Rod & Gun club you would have seen my pictures on the wall when I had hair!

Having fireworks of any kind on a dry year is prohibited, I depends on what cop was there, one is a heavy set guy with dark hair, he was an asshole. He hated us because we called him Barney Fife and asked where he kept his one bullet.

How long ago were you up there?