Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible TEC Orange Build?

IsaacT

Is it possible to cool a 638nm diode with a TEC to obtain an orange wavelength? Say 600-620nm range?

I think it would be awesome to take a 170mW Opnext Diode and make a 150mW 620nm Build through cooling.

Anybody tried this? Anybody want to stick their 638 in a freezer for a few minutes and let me know how it goes?

Thanks,
Isaac

rhd

Is it possible to cool a 638nm diode with a TEC to obtain an orange wavelength? Say 600-620nm range?

I think it would be awesome to take a 170mW Opnext Diode and make a 150mW 620nm Build through cooling.

Anybody tried this? Anybody want to stick their 638 in a freezer for a few minutes and let me know how it goes?

Thanks,
Isaac

Not with a stock diode like that one.

There are diodes that can hit 620 with cooling, but they're $700+

There are some designed to be 620 at 5C, which cost ~600 for the diode alone, and have an operating temp between like -3C and 12C at the very best... Then you gotta maintain that temp... and also control humidity.

IsaacT

Damn. I guess we just have to wait for R&D to spit out something awesome for use in something boring.

It is possible but you'll need something cooler than a tec to see a noticeable difference in wavelength. The biggest issue is condensation,
when taking a diode to sub zero levels you have to isolate the diode from the surrounding coolant in a separate chamber.

This video (by a member named planters I believe) is an extremely in depth look at taking a regular old $55 mitsubishi P73
diode right down to 608nm. But bear in mind this is at ridiculously cold temperatures, ie. -150 degrees C.

Its a really good watch.

The cryogenic Laser

EDIT: Here's the original thread, cryogenic laser

Last edited:

IsaacT

It is possible but you'll need something cooler than a tec to see a noticeable difference in wavelength. The biggest issue is condensation,
when taking a diode to sub zero levels you have to isolate the diode from the surrounding coolant in a separate chamber.

This video (by a member named planters I believe) is an extremely in depth look at taking a regular old $55 mitsubishi P73
diode right down to 608nm. But bear in mind this is at ridiculously cold temperatures, ie. -150 degrees C.

Its a really good watch.

The cryogenic Laser

Fantastic! If I could rep you I would, but I can't so I shan't. Now all I need is a little better paying day job to build that setup ;)

I have noticed some color difference by sticking my 5mW 635nm pen on the freezer. Might attempt to make a video with a grating one of these days to verify the blue shift.

If it is significant it might be worth to bin some of the diodes, run them low and TEC them down for some orangeness. Even if it kills them due to humidity :p

Last edited:
Somewhat related... Can you dip a 3xxnm led in a supercooled substance and get short wave UV or run a 405nm LD in a supercooled substance and get long wave UV

D

Deleted member 16589

Its a really good watch.

The cryogenic Laser

I was just about to post that video. you beat me.
Yea It can be done with Liquid nitrogen but I don't know of any TECS that could get that cold.

That being said we did a redneck version at SELEM last year by just dipping the diode into Liquid nitrogen.

Ill post it if I can find the video.

Last edited by a moderator: