Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Portal

Folks, if you don't like Steam like me, just copy the "Prelude" contents over the game contents, directly replacing them.

You won't be able to launch normal Portal after that, but after 15th finishing of the game, you won't have to :D

Try a reinstall first, and also try re-starting steam completely. If this doesn't work, look in the steamapps\SourceMods folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods normally) - you should have another folder in here called "portal prelude". Also, the output from the console (Keyboard Options->Advanced->Enable console ticked, Apply, then hit ` and copy the output) is useful, since it shows what is happening in the engine.

(Technical side: Basically steam mods are another filesystem "pushed" on top of Portal's "default" data files - what you describe suggests that these custom files are not being loaded into the game engine for some reason. The console log will offer an explanation.

steamapps\<youraccount>\portal\portal folder is essentially extended by the files in "portal prelude", which is temporarily mounted on top.)

I did a reinstall and now I can actually get it launched! But right after the Domo animation and the start screen just starts to load, it crashes! Goddammit. Only the first time it crashed an error message appeared but it disappeared before I got a chance to read it!

Ash

I did a reinstall and now I can actually get it launched! But right after the Domo animation and the start screen just starts to load, it crashes! Goddammit. Only the first time it crashed an error message appeared but it disappeared before I got a chance to read it!
Press "enter" to bypass the animation and force the game to load/start.
Maybe that will work? :undecided:

That is exactly what keeps happening to me..
I didnt have to reinstall i just noticed that there was a separate menu for the prelude.
There is a small menu box that pops up with the error message, but i can never read it.
I never make it past DOMO
:thinking:
pre2z.png

Press "enter" to bypass the animation and force the game to load/start.
Maybe that will work? :undecided:
I tried watching the whole animation and I tried skipping it, but it still crashes when the menu starts to load.

Portal Prelude is a free Mod (extra entire game), if you already have portal (and steam) installed.
Portal: Prelude
You da man. thanks for the great tip +1 and a tall one :beer:

I not only loved Portal (and just about everything Valve has made), but I truly love the fact that Portal was designed by STUDENTS that went on to be HIRED by Valve... now how freakin' cool is that???

Hence, my comments below...

rant
So steam is giving out FREE copies of Portal until may 24th!!
very cool, +1
Me too.. so i was pretty happy to get a real copy
On second thought... scratch that.

I used to have a pirate version but it crashes...
I finished the game (you just lost) and all advanced chambers without any glitches or weird looking colours in the background! What is this "Portal: Prelude" thing? I don't understand how to install it... I'm totally new to Steam and all that...
:rolleyes:

Wow, I finished pirated portal like.... 10 times? Too bad Steam is not working on my PC right now. Blocked ports on WiFi network.
Folks, if you don't like Steam like me...

"Barney, can ya hand me my crowbar please, I'm gonna need it for a sec..."
2453896437_9fe2e56dd6.jpg

/rant

You da man. thanks for the great tip +1 and a tall one :beer:

I not only loved Portal (and just about everything Valve has made), but I truly love the fact that Portal was designed by STUDENTS that went on to be HIRED by Valve... now how freakin' cool is that???

Hence, my comments below...

rant
very cool, +1
On second thought... scratch that.

"Barney, can ya hand me my crowbar please, I'm gonna need it for a sec..."
2453896437_9fe2e56dd6.jpg

/rant
Hey dude, really, I do hate Steam, but I love Valve and their games, no confusion there.

I just hate the mailman, not the mail, get it?

Don't crowbar my head, I still didn't recover from last time when I told Barney to get the hell out of my line of fire. I'm getting back at him in Ep3 fo'sure. Tell him to run.

Thanks for the tip! I've been waiting for Steam to become available on a Mac because a friend of mine wants me to play TF2 with him. Wonder how long it will be before that will work for a Mac.

-CAM

I'm waiting for this one as well. I'm sure it wont be too long as this seems to be one of their more popular games.
Team Fortress 2

When you run Portal Prelude, what happens?
Ah... my head hurts. Lots... :eek:

Wow, Portal Prelude's tough... at least it seems to be as I just managed to start it last night. I downloaded it when I had finished dinner but decided to play through Portal again for "good ol' times sake", not to mention I was worried that maybe the Mod would mess up the original...

Anyways, thx :bday:, it's been a while since I first (& last) played it, back in Oct. 2007 and it was a blast!!! I still can't get over the fact that a few bright students managed to turn out this simple but ingenious game! Although a puzzler by genre, they've managed to incorporate an interesting plot into it, not to mention a diabolical twist half way into the game. Hell, even the credits are worth watching (second only to Call of Duty Games credits :bowdown:).
4624067298_19e73b8015_m.jpg

Here's a few "teasers" from Portal, for those who haven't gotten around to downloading the free version.

mirrors, mirrors on the wall...

Man, like the cube was way over on the other side... couldn't be bothered...

This one's in for...

...a nasty surprise, muahahah!

oh-boy-oh-boy, finally, time for cake...

You can find a few more over at my Flickr Acct. but be warned...

**** SPOILER ALERT ****
Traveller's Portal Screenshots
**** /SPOILER ALERT ****

As for Portal Prelude... maybe it's because I started it after running through Portal all in one go, maybe it's because it's that hard, or maybe because the level design is not (always) the best, but I came away with a major headache, bordering on migraine... . I think I made it to lvl4 (see below) when I had to quit for the night 'cause I thought I might throw up, lol. I own roughly 200 PC games and I've played through 95% of them and I've never had an issue, so needless to say, I was pretty surprised that Prelude got my head spinning... lol :wtf:

So Ash, could you give us a mini-review, comparing it to Portal, please? A few words on level design, story line, etc. would be much appreciated, thx :beer:

so far so good...

...omg, think I'm gonna be siiiiiick...

p.s. We at least he modded her into a blonde...

Ash

So Ash, could you give us a mini-review, comparing it to Portal, please? A few words on level design, story line, etc. would be much appreciated, thx :beer:
Sure. Most of the first levels involve difficult "flings" where you have to use your momentum to get to certain ledges or high places.

There is a secret (super mario-brothers style) warp zone on Test Chamber 9:

or this one to show you how much flinging you need to do to get past the glass wall:

When you get further into the game (Test chamber 14 and up), the puzzles get extremely complicated, and you have to look for grates to shoot portals through, and oh yeah. Lots of auto-guns to watch out for.
I've only made it to test chamber 18 so far on Prelude. This one is strange because it seems like you can skip it and go to 19, but if you skip ahead, you need to go back to 18 to get a companion cube for use on 19. Very creative developers.
If you absolutely can't figure out a level, you can watch the walkthroughs here: Portal: Prelude - Official Walkthrough
:beer:

:undecided:
I don't know what's wrong, but I made several mistakes trying this. Pay very close attention to each step and remember to re-start steam. I also un-installed prelude altogether before trying.

First install Portal Prelude in "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal"
Second go to "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal" and rename the folder "portal prelude" to "portalprelude"
Third open Steam and go to "Add Game", "Add an non steam game", and look for the "hl2.exe" in "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal" and accept
Fourth go to the properties of your new game called "hl2" and in the box name put "Portal: Prelude" and in the target box put -game portalprelude
will be something like "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\july_mustang\portal\hl2.exe" -game portalprelude
close that window and play
big_smile.png

steamuser = Your seam user name.
-game portalprelude = Add this text after whatever what's already in the box

Last edited: