Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Portable 1/2 Watt RGB

LarryDFW, would a kit like this interface well with yours? I assume the RGB outputs would hook up to your inputs but what about the power leads and limiting resistors he refers to?

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron but need a little help with the whole circuit design thing...

It would , as a matter of fact.
Larry Suggested the same controller.

M7CC

What about power leads and limiting resistors? I don't want to hook it up wrong and fry something... That's the primary question I'm asking.

Whatever happened to this? This looks great!

I would switch out that red for a 638nm though. Much brighter.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I bought one the LL 200mW versions and I'm pretty sure it's using a PL450 single mode as its blue laser. I'd love to have my 445 collimated this well. If they're using a muti-mode 445 I'd like to know how they got the beam this tight.

I bought one the LL 200mW versions and I'm pretty sure it's using a PL450 single mode as its blue laser. I'd love to have my 445 collimated this well. If they're using a muti-mode 445 I'd like to know how they got the beam this tight.

theres a problem with RGB modules they sell is that the beams are not individually focusable .
HECK!
The RGB output can't even be focused.

So beyond say about 20-30m.
The spot size difference starts to get pretty obvious.

On 200-400m out.
You can already see the beam spreading out ...

That kinda dampens its coolness factor.....

norbyx

I got the same laser, and it's quite nice. I like it.

So this is mainly to create a white laser line? I like the idea of being able to switch between red/blue/green on the fly, too bad it's not pocket sized!

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
So this is mainly to create a white laser line? I like the idea of being able to switch between red/blue/green on the fly, too bad it's not pocket sized!

A little bigger than pocket sized but it would mount easily on one of those '100 white LED' flashlight bodies. An older barcode scanner gun would also make a dandy host for one of these.

BUMP..OPPPP
between the slow shipping and the non-responsivness & nonexosting customer support-I would go with Larry before china.

Also USA based iS AixiZ- they now offer quite a few ttl mini labs- all indentical in size so a nice 'match set' look- you could get a larger number of colors if you got FOUR of the AixiZ Mini Modules R (638) Green (532) Blue (450) and BR (405) the drivers are not enclosed and stackable- (smaller footprint)all four run of 12vdc- I am looking towards a combo build- with turning mirrors that would fit all in one small box doing both controllable 3 motor spyro and also Lumia- Thus using the ttl- you would have-
R, G, B,BR,-
three 'whites' (R-G-B & R-G-Br & R-G- B-BR)
-(RG)yellow,
RB (magenta )
GB (turquiose)

and
G+BR,
B+ BR,
R + BR,
G+ B+BR,
R+ G+BR,
R+BR+B,

SO iirc 16 COLORS

BUT NO LUCK SO FAR FINDING A SINGLE MODULATION CONTROLLER THAT HANDLES FOUR LASERS
THAT WOULD BE NICE TO FIND.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The little 200mW version I got from LL worked great for about 20 hours. From what I've been reading I'm not the only one to have the red diode in this little toy go LED on them. Oh well, it was cheap, and replacing the red diode will be le$$ hassle than trying to work the warranty route.

M7CC

I got one of Larry's units a while back. It's great but I need to fit it with a line or cross generating lens. I'm having trouble finding one of decent quality rated for the whole RGB spectrum. I assume glass is the way to go.

Any suggestions? I've been searching on and off for several weeks now, only finding cheap acrylics with little in the way of specifications.

Try a glass stir rod for a line generating optic. Cheap and it works!

You'll think the different wavelengths that composed of the "white" laser would refract at a different angle once it touched the glass/air interface :thinking:
Or perhaps I'm wrong lol

That's a problem with using "white" lasers.
All the different wavelengths refract and diffract at a different angle.
The way to solve that is with a reflective rod.
For example a chrome coated steel rod which the cross-section from the longitudinal end is about the same size as the incident ray diameter .
That way , the reflective surface will act as a convex mirror which spreads your beam out without refracting.

PS: The thinner the road , the better the line effect will be

Last edited:

SKeeZ

This looks like a well built unit. I like the powers you chose for the RGB diodes