Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poll: What new wavelength would you most like to see accessible within 5 years.

What new wavelength would you most like to see accessible within 5 years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rivem

For some reason it won't directly link to the wiki page :eek: Just click the "Did you mean Orange" tab haha. Yeah, back when I owned a ~593.5nm laser it didn't look very orange apart for the beam(on very rare occasions) :yh:

-Alex

I know what you were going for.
It's the parentheses. You moved it outside your link. It'll be more apparent if you go in to edit.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The 593.5 is just a bit too close to the edge for me to call orange. I'd want something that's the color of a rich sunset.

Rivem, you have just described that perfectly, now I want one ... and am considering allowing multiple votes if I can :whistle:

I have added 575nm to the list for you Lazerman121. The last time I saw that wavelength was when watching a video on a dye laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAYxfsHyVSA You probably have already seen it, but here is the link anyway.

Yellow could be useful in picos, a direct golden yellow diode would be nice.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yellow could be useful in picos, a direct golden yellow diode would be nice.
Should I put 590 on the list, RedCowboy?

I would be very interested if in 5 years time, we will actually have any of these wavelengths we have voted for.

Me and Rivem inquired about getting some 622nm diodes to put into a handheld and let's just say that neither of us immediately bought one. I'll let Rivem chime in the details if he wishes but I'll say a single diode was around the ballpark of a 50mW Spartan 589 as of today :)

Orange lasers(apart from 593.5) are still crazy expensive!

-Alex

Razako

Me and Rivem inquired about getting some 622nm diodes to put into a handheld and let's just say that neither of us immediately bought one. I'll let Rivem chime in the details if he wishes but I'll say a single diode was around the ballpark of a 50mW Spartan 589 as of today :)

Orange lasers(apart from 593.5) are still crazy expensive!

-Alex
What was the output? If it was in the 100+mw range that would actually be worth it IMO.

What was the output? If it was in the 100+mw range that would actually be worth it IMO.

It was around 50mW's. Then you have to factor in a host, driver etc...

CNI also offered 622nm diodes but wanted around $500 for the diode and another $500 for the module!!! :eek:

-Alex

Sta

CNI also offered 622nm diodes but wanted around $500 for the diode and another $500 for the module!!! :eek:

-Alex
I thought rpmclasers offered a 622nm 150mW c-mount for $540, or $390/pc for 10 pieces.

Razako

-Alex
Yeah...That's a bit much for a direct diode laser. I mean if somebody was selling a 'ready made' portable unit for $700 that might be fair, but $1000 for a module? No thanks:cryyy:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
A pumpkin orange laser would do nicely in my collection although 610nm still looks nicer IMO. Shame about the 622nm cost.
This is the exact reason why I made this poll. The wavelengths that we want to see are all still ridiculously expensive. Even exotic wavelengths that have been around for some time now. 589nm is still expensive; despite it's growing popularity, and forget getting it in lab form if you want the slightest bit of power for your money. But in the short time that I have been around; including the time when I was just viewing, I have seen new wavelengths pop up that never used to exist in direct diode, or was affordable for the hobbyist. So keep hoping and start saving. ;)