Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Poll: What new wavelength would you most like to see accessible within 5 years.

What new wavelength would you most like to see accessible within 5 years?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 16589

Rivem, you have just described that perfectly, now I want one ... and am considering allowing multiple votes if I can :whistle:

I have added 575nm to the list for you Lazerman121. The last time I saw that wavelength was when watching a video on a dye laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAYxfsHyVSA You probably have already seen it, but here is the link anyway.
Yea Ive seen that I hope he comes to selem again one year :D.
BTW i dont see 575nm on the list :p

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I have added 575nm for you lazerman121. 575nm has be manually added to my first post as 10 options is the max amount of options allowed. It just means that I have to keep updating.

That 575 is amazing, plus the power of the 532 is cool enough.

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only big area we hobbyist are lacking in for affordable lasers is the 630nm-594nm area. That's a pretty big range of the spectrum when you think of it. Anything past 594 and you start to get into ungodly expensive orange labbies. Anything below 630 has some affordable diodes but not cheap still by any means(think around $600) for some around 622nm & 627nm but after that you're screwed unless you have quite a bit of funds.

Really hope we get some cheap orange in the years to come. While 593.5 is quite amber looking it's not good enough for a complete rainbow! :D

-Alex

H2Oxide

The only big area we hobbyist are lacking in for affordable lasers is the 630nm-594nm area. That's a pretty big range of the spectrum when you think of it. Anything past 594 and you start to get into ungodly expensive orange labbies. Anything below 630 has some affordable diodes but not cheap still by any means(think around $600) for some around 622nm & 627nm but after that you're screwed unless you have quite a bit of funds.

Really hope we get some cheap orange in the years to come. While 593.5 is quite amber looking it's not good enough for a complete rainbow! :D

-Alex
If you really wanted orange, Coherent and Spectra Physics CW dye heads show up on eBay often enough for reasonable prices (I've seen one with intact optics [OC and all] on eBay for $99 and not sell). Nobody wants them anymore. A circulator shouldn't be too hard to find, or even build, either. Realistically, the only limit to how much orange you can get is the power of your pump laser. Plus, you could get the entire orange+yellow spectrum! (with low linewidth too, assuming the BRF is in good condition) :)

However, they are a LOT more work than one of those newfangled orange labbies. Then again, I'll take more power and tunability over ease of use any day.

I find it interesting that dye is usually left out or forgotten in the hobbiest world. People are willing to re-gas and refurbish large frame ion lasers, but not align a single-fold resonator. Go figure.

Last edited: