Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

please help starve the troll

Jaseth

I agree with Jerry, but could someone else please start it this time?
I got so much crap for the Arenared thread, even though most people agreed on banning him.

Seb

i dont agree with those asses either. yes to all of you that go into a thread and say USE THE SEARCH! i think ur asses. if you dont want to contribute to new members learning then STFU. we need to make some changes to get members like gazoo to come back. gazoo helped me out alot when i started and never once said USE THE SEARCH. thats a real forum member for you... dave is another example of a good forum member. although dave does tell ppl to search sometimes but he also helps ALOT more than most people when it comes to newbies..

this forum really is becoming over run by trolls that have no knowledge of what the heck theyre talking about to begin with...

if its causing members to complain then its a problem. theres a lot of ignorant members here but we arent talking about banning them all are we?

I believe fully in encouraging new members to do their own research, however I also think that people who tell new members to search should provide them with a couple good search terms to get them started. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to do other people's work for them, and many, many n00b questions have already been answered in detail numerous times before.

I believe fully in encouraging new members to do their own research, however I also think that people who tell new members to search should provide them with a couple good search terms to get them started. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to do other people's work for them, and many, many n00b questions have already been answered in detail numerous times before.

i agree but when all someone says is "use the search!" and doesnt help at all i think they should be put in front of a firing squad...

have you ever seen me say "use the search"? nope! why? b/c if i cant help or dont know what im talking about i know how to STFU...

Jaseth

i agree but when all someone says is "use the search!" and doesnt help at all i think they should be put in front of a firing squad...

have you ever seen me say "use the search"? nope! why? b/c if i cant help or dont know what im talking about i know how to STFU...

Still, if they ask questions which have been answered a billion times you can help them without spoon feeding them. I agree that you should not just shout at them or say "SEARCH FOR IT" (I have been guilty of this myself in the past :(), but providing them with some search terms or quick answers/links will help them and encourage them to read, while not wasting too much of your own time.
Sometimes the laziness of certain noobs is quite astonishing.

Seb

mfo

Still, if they ask questions which have been answered a billion times you can help them without spoon feeding them. I agree that you should not just shout at them or say "SEARCH FOR IT" (I have been guilty of this myself in the past :(), but providing them with some search terms or quick answers/links will help them and encourage them to read, while not wasting too much of your own time.
Sometimes the laziness of certain noobs is quite astonishing.

Seb

Personally I don't mind when people say "use the search" function, as long as it is followed by the words "next time" and an answer. I do agree if you're just going to reply with "Use the search function" then that should be deemed as spam & an attempt to get your post count up. It also agitates me when people (especially people who are not admins and/or mods) tell me to use search (without an answer). Like who the hell died and left you in charge? :yabbmad: