Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please explain this...

Hey guys! Well my 589 arrived today and when i opened it all seemed well, until the battery was inserted. As soon as I screwed the cap back on a BIG puff of smoke shot out the button area. I removed the battery and let it cool down. When I reinserted the battery it worked perfectly and is a very nice laser. My favorite laser yet! So could someone explain what smoked and why? The laser is fine now so I have no idea what happened.
Thanks,
Nate

Dose your battery have a protection circuit ?

is it possible that the ckt fried and is still letting current pass :thinking:

Can you find any burn marks on the battery ?

I don't think the driver could have let out some smoke and still be working.

Last edited:
Yeah I have no idea lol. The one that "smoked" hasn't been reinserted so the battery could have fried. My best guess is the protection part of the circuit fried but left the good parts.

If your handy with a X-ACTO knife you can remove the protection ckt and then test the cell again.

Yes it is actually. I'm no battery whizz, without a protection circuit, could it harm my precious?

Yes it is actually. I'm no battery whizz, without a protection circuit, could it harm my precious?

I don't think it could. It might have just killed that battery, just keep using the battery you are using right now and do not let it do under-charged and you should be

AOK

you wont harm a laser or flashlight w/o a protective board as long as you dont run the battery on low levels. keep it charged and it will be fine. these batteries can be charged after every use and they will be fine. I charge mine all the time, lock them out when not in use so they dont drain overtime in my lights

Tmack

Took the protection circuit off my 26650 and they work fine. I thought the danger was in the battery not the device.

Problem is these are non rechargeables. I believe cr2s. I've come to the conclusion that it was the batteries protective circuit that fried. Thanks guys! Also I don't know if this means anything but mine warms up really fast. Like heat wise. Lasers fine and all. But after like a 5 minute or so use it def warmer. Never mind the heat thing. Turns out it's from me not the laser. I worry too much

Last edited:
Problem is these are non rechargeables. I believe cr2s. I've come to the conclusion that it was the batteries protective circuit that fried. Thanks guys! Also I don't know if this means anything but mine warms up really fast. Like heat wise. Lasers fine and all. But after like a 5 minute or so use it def warmer. Never mind the heat thing. Turns out it's from me not the laser. I worry too much

Haha, it's understandable, wanna protect that 589nm laser ;)

Yes. My precious... Quite a nice beam at night. Gotta be at certain angles to catch it. I like that it's pulsed. Adds a bit of personality. Just to add that it can't be the battery. Both batteries work flawlessly. Still clueless. Nonetheless my next will be a 473. Preferably one that doesn't smoke ;)

Last edited:
all this is just one more reason to move towards projectors and away from handhelds-

There is a reason people do not go from PJs to pointers--afaik-- for the cost of your yellow you could own a 500mW projector. And you would still have yellow plus magenta and teal as well a RG &B plus white-
but I do understand having spent a lot for a 6mW yellow HeNe myself not long ago.

Getting to buy in person from Dr Sam did have a bearing tho..

I respect you in many ways but I don't know how to say this but I'm just a pointer man. Eventually I want a projector, but I will always like pointers. Your recent anti pointer stance is somewhat biased by both sides. Why do people buy sports cars when they could ride bikes? Why buy nikes instead of value brand? It's mostly personal opinion.

I respect you in many ways but I don't know how to say this but I'm just a pointer man. Eventually I want a projector, but I will always like pointers. Your recent anti pointer stance is somewhat biased by both sides. Why do people buy sports cars when they could ride bikes? Why buy nikes instead of value brand? It's mostly personal opinion.

Same for the wavelength's people prefer. I personally don't mind, as long as you get your lasers that makes you happy, everything is AOK with me :beer: