Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PL-E pro 1Watt 650NM

Razako

Just got my PL-E pro 650nm 1W laser today. Pretty impressive unit overall. I was immediately struck by how HUGE this laser is. Comparable to a full size sanwu spiker series. It's capable of taking 18650's or 26650's and uses one battery. The laser is case positive.

I got the version with a tailcap key lock and the momentary button+constant on button. I don't believe it's a coded version. Focusing is easily done by rotating a ring near the front of the laser. I'm not clear, was this laser supposed to come with an adapter or something? It has a power input jack, but only came with the standard charger. Other than that, I have no complaints so far.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my red laser safety goggles from china, so there won't be any burning videos today. I did take some quick color comparison shots showing the PL-E 650nm 1W vs a sanwu 638nm 1W.

Update. I got my goggles and LPM and took a reading from this laser. It's rock solid and stays above 1W for pretty much the entire 3 min run. 1038mw average with 1087mw peak.

Got red?:eg:
IMG_0794_zpssgm7da0p.jpg

IMG_0792_zpsqraxiuca.jpg

IMG_0797_zpsaa2pxk1x.jpg

650nm%20PLE_zpsppepqfxi.png

Last edited:

Sta

Nice review Razako! How is the divergence on that thing? Is it better or worse than the 635 1W?

Yeah. Now those need a FAC lens. I think they are still about $100.00 on eBay for the diode. Not all diodes have a fast axis that diverges a lot, but this one does.

Razako

Nice review Razako! How is the divergence on that thing? Is it better or worse than the 635 1W?
Seems about equal. The PL-E also has some pretty decent beam visibility at night. Not quite as bright as the 638, but it still has a very noticeable beam.

Last edited:
Nice!

Nope, mine didn't come with an adapter either. My 150mW uses the same diode as the one in yours. Divergence kinda sucks :(

-Alex

Very nice indeed. I've always liked the way Jetlasers looked, they seem to care a lot about quality.

Pman

Yeah that is a really big unit. Congrats and you can see for yourself that they really are different. I think the 638nm is twice as visible but haven't looked. The 638nm to me has a hint of orange while the 650/60 has a bit of pink to it. Im sure that has to be a c-mount. I usually find it easier to see color differences shining on a black rather than white background and I look at the spill or splash.
If you look at Jet you will see that you have to order that power adapter as an add on item. I would really like to know if anyone has one and what the rating and polarity is.
Such a nice addition to your collection. Yes the dot is supposed to look like whatever you are seeing;)
You know, I never looked it up but I'm assuming the 3 indicators are battery level. It's really cool to have so many things like the momentary and on buttons, indicator, mount, plug for power adapter...

Looks like that power adapter is a $25 add-on.

Good on you for putting this in the red section instead of the reviews section which should be reserved for reviews with all the applicable measurements. Owe you REP.

Last edited:

Razako

Yeah that is a really big unit. Congrats and you can see for yourself that they really are different. I think the 638nm is twice as visible but haven't looked. The 638nm to me has a hint of orange while the 650/60 has a bit of pink to it. Im sure that has to be a c-mount. I usually find it easier to see color differences shining on a black rather than white background and I look at the spill or splash.
If you look at Jet you will see that you have to order that power adapter as an add on item. I would really like to know if anyone has one and what the rating and polarity is.
Such a nice addition to your collection. Yes the dot is supposed to look like whatever you are seeing;)
You know, I never looked it up but I'm assuming the 3 indicators are battery level. It's really cool to have so many things like the momentary and on buttons, indicator, mount, plug for power adapter...

Looks like that power adapter is a $25 add-on.

Good on you for putting this in the red section instead of the reviews section which should be reserved for reviews with all the applicable measurements. Owe you REP.
I definitely agree with your assessment of the color. It's easiest for me to tell by the color of the scattered light. The 650/660 scattered light looks pinker, while the 638 looks like it has hints of orange.

As for beam visibility, the 638 produces a beam that I'd describe as maybe 70-100% brighter. Both produce a readily visible beam without smoke or fog though.

Overall, I'm definitely happy with this laser and I've nearly got the red spectrum of my collection done. Just gotta wait for my laserlands 685nm module now.

Razako

You also need 671nm DPSS :beer:

-Alex
Not worth imo. I'd have to buy a module or labby, and unlike 561nm there wouldn't be anything all that special looking about 671nm. 561nm is like an extremely bright greenish yellow. 671nm would probably be extremely hard to distinguish from standard 660nm. I might also not get another 473nm. My eyes couldn't even tell the difference between that color and a high power NUBM07E build. I'd probably only get one if somebody here was selling it super cheap.

Last edited:
Nice review- TY
afaik all JLs are case pos- (+ to the tailcap)
IIRC t he ac/dc in-port is center pos.
I think it charges the battery as well.
I do NOT suggest in any way that using the ac/dc will make yourJL portable into a lab laser which all here know but a few.. for JLs taking 2pc 18650/26650 the wart was 8.5 vdc. 1A maybe less- JL afaik no longer has them.
if your JL has a tri-pod hole- use ONLY with extreme care. TOO SHALLOW- barely two turns.
threads in aperture are for 10X BE-
I have a black one new $90
pop up GB free ship- very limited time.

see my thread in GB.

Razako

As another nice feature(intentional or not), this laser cuts out when the battery voltage reaches around 2.9V. This is nice because you can let it run until cutout without ruining your unprotected Li-Ion cells.

Last edited:
@ Razako: Do the three led power indicators ever go down or do anything different when the battery gets that low? I've never run mine down that low, but have never seen them light any less than three leds at once. Just wondering if they actually functioned. I'm guessing they're just decoration.

Razako

@ Razako: Do the three led power indicators ever go down or do anything different when the battery gets that low? I've never run mine down that low, but have never seen them light any less than three leds at once. Just wondering if they actually functioned. I'm guessing they're just decoration.
No change in the lights. They're basically just for looks IMO. Either way you don't need to worry about ruining your batteries with this laser.