Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Photobucket just deleted;

I know we been bugging the moderators to come up with a tool to auto resize. Most are using Android now, not windows

trussmonkey25, good to see you posting again :eg: I don't think we as moderators have any ability to enable an auto-resize tool to be used on the forums. That'd probably have to be something Avery does so I would speak to him? :eek:

-Alex

All mine are gone too from my thread. I have original pictures however it is too much to resize and repost in my threads. P! $$=& off. Who knows how much money they cost a lot of people. Anyone know a good resized app for this forum. I know we been bugging the moderators to come up with a tool to auto resize. Most are using Android now, not windows

I link to the one I use in my signature

I use DropBox and link to my photos that way, I resize them manually though to the 800x600 forum limit.
It's always been free and I have 20GB to store anything.

RB
:beer:

At this point, it wouldn't be surprising to see photobucket either: go out of business, or simply remove the "paid" features to get customers back. I don't think they're going to be anywhere near membership # wise then before this mess, even if they try to fix this.

-Alex

They would not even let me dowload my entire album. I keep getting an error message on their site. I am one of the IMGUR people now :)

God i hate that company now lol :p

greetings,,

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
offroad, welcome, join the rest of us pissed off, screwed over, ex Photobucket customers! :yabbmad:
I should be surprised that they won't let you download your entire album, but nothing that they do is a surprise anymore.

Yes, most of us have switched to some other service, many of us to imgur.

Edit: I assume you already tried to download your album by going to "actions" on the right side of your "library" page, and clicking on "Download Album". That has generally worked in the past.

Last edited:
Photobucket got me too and I also switched to Imgur. Photobucket is so full of intrusive ads and is completely worthless now, hope they disappear. Imgur is working perfectly for me now and is very easy to use. :beer:

We could band together and dump tons of data for them to hold onto. Upload, delete, reupload, automate it. Show them how pisses we are. I'm sure its already being done. This could be an example to imgur to give the people of the internet a fair warning when they get to this same fork in the road.

BobMc

Sorry to hear Offroad that they won't let you download your album either. I thought it was just something wrong with my album/computer or whatever. Didn't dawn on me it's something Photobucket it preventing. They just keep getting better and better. :(

I think they shot themselves in the foot on
this one...
Just think of all the other Forums that have
members that used PhotoBucket... and got
screwed.

Jerry

Benm

You could see it as a bit of an exit scam:

A site gets popular and many hits, but advertising revenue goes down and makes the operation unprofitable.

One way to deal with that is to put overly annoying but better paying ad schemes on those pages. People will turn away from using the service, but all that's already on there will still attract traffic for some amount of time.

With a free service this is fairly easy to pull off legally as well: With a paid service you would have to get the users to agree and offer the option to stop using the service if it became worse. With a free service you would repay and amount of $0.

So yeah, in theory imgur could do the exact same thing if they ever felt the need for it.

Ah, they can keep my photos. I backed them all up long ago and have multiple places for everything I've photographed and kept. I hope it costs them a lot to hold onto them.

Benm

Having backups is always the best strategy.

One problem is that people tend to consider their material to be 'safely backed up' when they put their photos on things like instagram, while there is zero guarantee those will still be available in 1 or 10 years.

Rivem

Having backups is always the best strategy.

One problem is that people tend to consider their material to be 'safely backed up' when they put their photos on things like instagram, while there is zero guarantee those will still be available in 1 or 10 years.

Yeah. Plus, people don't really realize that storing your photos (free) online almost always decreases the quality. I feel like a lot of services also might up the compression and decrease quality as photos get older.

I keep at least 2 backups of family photos and video at home and sync with Google Photos for disaster recovery and sharing. Probably will offload this task to a RAID NAS when I have money and a more permanent residence for networking.

Benm

Photo specific sites could certainly compress your images, good point.

I do you use some online backup services for several kinds of documents and such, but only ones that allow any file type. My usual strategy is to put the data into AES encrypted 7z files or such. This would protect my data from being read even if the site was hacked or anything like that.

vk2fro

Mine go onto my home server (with 2 disk fail redundancy), which in turn is backed up to an LTO4 tape drive, and I store those at a friends place. As a bonus, I scored a pile of 55aH batteries and rigged them up in a 50v system to power a monster UPS - which basically means the power has to be off for 2 days straight before my server goes offline. Soon to add solar as well. Funnily enough, it must have known I was writing about it, as the UPS just kicked over to battery like it normally does every 2 weeks. When it does this, my loungeroom sounds like a small substation. "Hummmmmmmmmm CLUNK" LOL

So basically if imgur go the way of photo bucket I could probably host mine myself once I get the NBN (my current ADSL is woefully slow on the upload side).

I've been browsing all the posts in the Gas section of the forum for Omnichrome lasers, and its very annoying to see many members photo's have disappeared only to be replaced with the cat image, or the one with the speedo dial saying 100% :(