Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Personal opinions on youngest age for lasering?

Youngest age to own a lasr?

• Total voters

Ugh this is like all the "what wavelength is pure [insert color]" poll threads. It's all subjective and just about completely pointless.

Agreed. Personally, I think the only person who can answer this question is the parent, and they can only answer for their child alone.

Gadget

This exactly!
It's what I tell ANYONE, regardless of age, before I put one of my lasers in their hands. Granted, I don't hand over my lasers to just anyone, but I damned well do make sure they understand that IT IS A WEAPON, just as surely as a firearm is.

-G

Depends on individual student and parent. They are to be treated as loaded weapons.

diachi

I'm 13. My mommy says I'm very immature. I don't think so. I'm very mature. I don't know why everybody keeps telling me I'm too young to play with lasers.

"My mommy says I'm very immature."

Really not helping you sound more mature...

Just about every 13 year old on the planet thinks they are nature until they grow up and realize they were brats. Been there, done that.

Also, it's bad etiquette to dig up old threads unless you have something to add to the discussion.

Last edited:
I see guys answering questions by newbies who are really just one guy having fun getting us to jump through hoops all the time. I keep seeing it over and over again, no one seems to catch on very often.

Radim

Well, if we talk about class 3B and 4 it is and important question, as these classes should be considered as weapons. Although I think the age is just a number of circles around the sun you already made it is not really relevant. The more important is how mature and responsible the person is. Let's say 18 years? Well, for somebody it might be 16, for somebody 21 or 30, for somebody never.

As I mentioned the lasers of these upper classes considered as weapons it does not mean they should be regulated that strictly as fire arms for example. I believe that in some countries like Australia, UK etc. where the law is very strict on portables, the regulation should be different. Yes, limit access to these lasers for general public in case there are problems with missuse in the particular society - completely understand this. But for laserists allow them to set up clubs or non profit organisations, whose members are certified by passing a laser safety test, going through course and/or something like that. Even for car driving you need a licence. For these members there should be no limit for lasers. However I believe that instead of regulation more information about laser safety and how to treat them would be better, as what is forbidden attracts attention and with lack of information the hazards are significant (it is much easier to shine laser, than to handle fire arm as laser looks so harmless - but it is not). Anyway criminals will always get the weapon (even laser) illegally, therefore regulation affects more those who stay legal, this is not good.

Another reason is that lasers are the future, increasing number of technologies use them and popularity of lasers might bring new young brains to research and developement and boost these technologies. So, excessive regulation does not help that and slowers technical developement.

Just my opinion.