Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

I know, I want a clearer pic of the back as well.
Wow, those cartridges are expensive. :eek:
Thanks for the manual. I've come across the 337 and 337i online, but no manual. Although its for the VSL-337 it should give me a head start and have many similarities.
Good job for not sharing your c drive. :D
I'm wondering whether it would just be easier to make one myself. :undecided:

Edit: This listing shows the rear of the head. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-Laser-Science-Inc-Model-No-337i-VSL-337I-Nitrogen-Laser-System/192115732808?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D46089%26meid%3Db141d9aaf1d24d70a06c39f78259848c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D351558761289&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:

diachi

Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

I know, I want a clearer pic of the back as well.
Wow, those cartridges are expensive. :eek:
Thanks for the manual. I've come across the 337 and 337i online, but no manual. Although its for the VSL-337 it should give me a head start and have many similarities.
Good job for not sharing your c drive. :D
I'm wondering whether it would just be easier to make one myself. :undecided:

Manual for the SP version if you want it: https://loci.wisc.edu/sites/default/files/2017-04/VSL-337ND-S User's Manual.pdf

:)

It's fairly easy to make simple nitrogen lasers at home, won't be nearly as good as a commercial unit but it's entirely doable.

https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercn2.htm

Another interesting site:

Expériences lasers et développement de lasers et dragracing

Lots of N2 lasers and big TE CO2 lasers on there (DIY and Commercial), among others. I think there's an SP 337 on there too.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Thanks a lot Diachi. :) I've watched Swiss Rocketman's videos but never came across his site.
I've been investigating the possibility for making TEA lasers for a while. The only thing that puts me off is HV. The supply I was looking at is a 7.5kV 30mA NST and I was going for the asymmetric capacitor design.

2017-09-13.png

The HV and MDF is insulated by Perspex. ;) It is to help with reducing the noise from these lasers, plus I have access to MDF for laser cutting and routering.

I'm still working on this design as we speak.

Last edited:

diachi

Thanks a lot Diachi. :) I've watched Swiss Rocketman's videos but never came across his site.
I've been investigating the possibility for making TEA lasers for a while. The only thing that puts me off is HV. The supply I was looking at is a 7.5kV 30mA NST and I was going for the asymmetric capacitor design.

The HV and MDF is insulated by Perspex. ;) It is to help with reducing the noise from these lasers, plus I have access to MDF for laser cutting and routering.

I'm still working on this design as we speak.

I think he posted his site/images on PL and that's how I found it haha, in one of Planters' threads about his massive dye laser. Had been watching his videos for a long time too - good channel.

Looks like you've already got everything planned out, looks good! Maybe you'll need a few revisions, but it's looking good nonetheless. :beer:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Yes, I like his channel. He experiments with a lot. I believe it was his ruby that first got me interested in his channel. Planters is another one that I find interesting as well.

Thanks, I still have a few revisions to make. Mainly future proofing so I can replace parts when they die out and making things safe. But I'm going to wait and see if I can get a manufacture n2 laser first. :beer:
I'll let you know if I get a response from the seller. :beer:

diachi

Yes, I like his channel. He experiments with a lot. I believe it was his ruby that first got me interested in his channel. Planters is another one that I find interesting as well.

Thanks, I still have a few revisions to make. Mainly future proofing so I can replace parts when they die out and making things safe. But I'm going to wait and see if I can get a manufacture n2 laser first. :beer:
I'll let you know if I get a response from the seller. :beer:

Yeah, keep us posted! Maybe start an N2 laser thread in the gas lasers section.

I tried to buy one of those SP 337s a few months ago but was outbid. :(

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Nice idea! I'll create the thread when I know more of what approach I will take. I get the feeling it will be the homemade one though.
As for that SP 377, what a shame. I know how hard it is to find a working N2 for a decent price.
Was you hoping to start making dye lasers with it too? My first stop, rhodamine 6g.

Last edited:

diachi

Nice idea! I'll create the thread when I know more of what approach I will take. I get the feeling it will be the homemade one though.
As for that SP 377, what a shame. I know how hard it is to find a working N2 for a decent price.
Was you hoping to start making dye lasers with it too? My first stop, rhodamine 6g.

Always good to see more gas! :)

Yeah, I'd have played around with dye for sure! :D

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Yes, definitely. Even better when you can make it yourself.

Of course. Who wouldn't. :D I will most likely experiment making my own dyes as well. :p

Last edited:

diachi

Yes, definitely. Even better when you can make it yourself.

Of course. Who wouldn't. :D I will most likely experiment making my own dyes as well. :p

Be interesting to see your dye results too! :)

I need more funds and a workshop so that I can start experimenting with this sort of thing more.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Be interesting to see your dye results too! :)
I need more funds and a workshop so that I can start experimenting with this sort of thing more.
I don't exactly have funds or a workshop either. I'm borrowing space and trying to keep the cost down big time on the parts. :p

But I agree, any results I have with dye lasers will be interesting. :)
I wonder if I could get 580nm to lase superradiantly? :whistle:

diachi

I don't exactly have funds or a workshop either. I'm borrowing space and trying to keep the cost down big time on the parts. :p

But I agree, any results I have with dye lasers will be interesting. :)
I wonder if I could get 580nm to lase superradiantly? :whistle:

Oh yeah, you're a student too right?

Problem here is that there's very little space available, and getting space for free is next to impossible. The spaces that are available are stupid expensive. If I want a house with a garage here I'm looking at >$500,000. Rent is stupid pricey, as is everything else.

Doesn't hurt to try on the 580nm! ;)

Not sure if this showed up in the search I linked earlier or not:

SPECTRA PHYSICS 337201-01 Industrial Lab Class-IIIb Laser Head Unit | eBay

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

Oh yeah, you're a student too right?
Not anymore. I have a job offer in a sixth form college that I am already familiar with. Hasn't been confirmed yet though.

Problem here is that there's very little space available, and getting space for free is next to impossible. The spaces that are available are stupid expensive. If I want a house with a garage here I'm looking at >$500,000. Rent is stupid pricey, as is everything else.

Yep, it sure is ridiculous. No matter where you are.

Doesn't hurt to try on the 580nm! ;)

Not sure if this showed up in the search I linked earlier or not:

SPECTRA PHYSICS 337201-01 Industrial Lab Class-IIIb Laser Head Unit | eBay
Don't you worry, i'll sure try. :D

As for that head, I did come across that. But I'd probably spend more time and money trying to fix/get it running in the end.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter

I can only assume that you would need to cool it similar to those Coherent FAP-800's. Good heatsink and TEC.