Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oxlaser 4000mW

APEX1

Do you have a LPM? I'm very curious to see if it really is 3w+

Gabe

Uh oh, I better not hear just a "but it's really bright, so it's probably 4W." Do you have other lasers to compare it to?

Hi you need am LPM the only way to tell the wattage. If your going to be interested in wavelengths you need equipment. Nospin sells them or I think he stil does. It's a 5W Ophir thermopile and led readout for 399.00 . Or you can use your crystal ball .
Have fun but be safe get eye protection. Start building your own lasers read all you can. Plenty information right here for you.
Good luck buddy :))

APEX1

Nope - unfortunately not.

Then I don't see how you'll be able to do an accurate test??

Uh oh, I better not hear just a "but it's really bright, so it's probably 4W." Do you have other lasers to compare it to?

I don't see how that could work to well lol.. My 1.8w 445 is somewhat brighter than my 2w 450. my spidey senses tell me this is going to have a bad outcome lol ... GOOD LUCK THOUGH BUD :eek: Let us no how it turns out

Pman

^ You may be able to figure which unit is more powerful at the same wavelength with a significant difference but if they really 1.8 and 2W it's a guess. Different lenses, batteries, focus etc... can EASILY fool you. You either need to buy an LPM or send them to someone who has one to know for sure.

Last edited:

APEX1

That is impossible, have you tested these with an LPM?

Alan
And yes we have an LPM
Far from impossible my friend! One has crappy lens while the other has a g2, trust when I say it is brighter! My fathers 1.4w 520 is brighter than 1.8w 445.. Nothing is impossible

Last edited:

diachi

And yes we have an LPM
Far from impossible my friend! One has crappy lens while the other has a g2, trust when I say it is brighter! My fathers 1.4w 520 is brighter than 1.8w 445.. Nothing is impossible

The 520 should be brighter, seeing as your eyes are much more sensitive to it. However, the 2W 450 should be brighter than 1.8W 445, seeing as it's more powerful and your eyes are more sensitive to 450 than 445. Depends how you're measuring power the power too though, if that's before a lens then your output after the addition of lenses could change those results.

Last edited:

APEX1

The 520 should be brighter, seeing as your eyes are much more sensitive to it. However, the 2W 450 should be brighter than 1.8W 445, seeing as it's more powerful and your eyes are more sensitive to 450 than 445. Depends how you're measuring power the power too though, if that's before a lens then your output after the addition of lenses could change those results.

there is a slight noticeable difference in the two that's all I'm saying. :) and if someone doesn't no about the sensitivity aspect of this one could think one is brighter than the other! if what I just said makes any sense lol it sounded good in my head!!! lol

Last edited:

Podo

You'd get 2W if lucky, mostly 1.6W for this price. Never buy handheld lasers on Aliexpress. Either overprice or lying about the output.

jcf1

Whilst I don't have a LPM anymore and for my level of time/interest I don't intend buying one - it will be a thorough test in other respects. I have very considerable experience in flashlight and laser builds so quite happy with what I have purchased. I know others have bought from oxlasers and the power outputs have been tested and honest. I've built IR illuminators for nightvision use with diodes from aliexpress and they have most certainly not disappointed!!

Build quality is/has been questionable from others experience, but this can always be addressed. The chap who runs this outfit is not your typical aliexpress merchant.

That said - its a cheap laser, that's the point. Rest assured you won't hear "but it's really bright, so it's probably 4W.".....:whistle:

I do have access to an LPM, as a friend works in defence optics - has a lab that would make your head spin. I may let him play with it and get back to me. I'm not allowed past the gates!!

We're talking about the 445nm linked to in the original post right? Not a green laser. I just noticed something, everyone go click on that link again and scroll down to where it has photos of lasers being metered with an LPM. Any idiots stupid enough to use an LPM in that way! And to actually post photos of them using it that way! Is someone I wouldn't buy a laser from! Take a look I can't believe they can be that stupid! The guy is holding the sensor in his hand with the laser pressed up against the sensor!

Alan

Last edited: