Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL530 - Tiny 530nm OPSL

diachi

Hey, thanks for introducing this laser. The output is super nice. Here's a picture of the laser running. I printed the driver (conductive ink) in-house and ran it without a fan with a 9 v power supply. The LM317s get super hot even with two heatsinks on them. I had to add a fan to cool it down. Works very nice.

Quick question:
If I want to do RGB holography, what red and blue lasers are out there similar to the OPSL coherence specs and also same size?

View attachment 65495

Looking good! Try dropping the input voltage on your LM317s to ~5-6V. Will help tremendously with the heat. Diode forward voltage is no more than 2.2V or so, plus the regulator drop of ~2.5V. Half of your power input is getting turned into heat at 9V input.

It's the heater. I added a POT for the heater, somewhere in the middle it works really nice. At the wrong temp. you might excite differentlaser modes like TE20, Isaw it myself.

Which is interesting as mine didn't seem too bothered about heater settings, never did put it on an LPM but visually it seemed fine. Could be I never went through the full range on the pot. Never did follow up on that.

There are some three color modules that also use the green OPSL used in this thread, but they don't line up properly from what I've heard. When shooting full color holography your lasers need to line up like a good RGB white laser does, but you then shoot each color separately. It can be very daunting to get outcomes that look reasonable.

The R/B components of those aren't OPSL so the specs aren't nearly as good as with the green.

There you go. That is why I suggested HeNe and argon as red and blue for holography. Getting all three colors into a small package with enough coherence length to be useful could cost you a great deal of $$$$.

kecked

If they ever make red and blue...and yellow mini opsl for 30.00 like this green I’d be in heaven. It isn’t likely. I have the rgb model. It’s just diodes for r and b.

Your best setup is likely argon/hene with pcaom.

kecked

Considering you live in the Mecca of lasers you should be able to source all you need right there. Most of the crystals are grown in your home town.

If your packages are not getting through US customs it is likely because you are on a watch list. The way around that is to ship rthem though a different account. I'm sure you can figure pout what I'm trying to tell you.

If your packages are not getting through US customs it is likely because you are on a watch list. The way around that is to ship rthem though a different account. I'm sure you can figure pout what I'm trying to tell you.
I haven’t had any problems on my end ?

Dragonsired1

Hi everyone,
so I have this strange issue. I apply around 458 mA to diode and around 58mA (around 2V) to heater. But when I power it for more than couple seconds diode starts to dimm and colour shifts to yellow-ish... That scared me so I quickly disconnected the laser. Laser is on heat sink. Does anyone here ever encountered this behaviour? Is it possible I can destroy it?
Thx

Anthony P

It may take a few seconds to stabilize. Heater needs CV control, not current control. Try adjusting heater voltage 0.1V at a time.

Hi everyone,
so I have this strange issue. I apply around 458 mA to diode and around 58mA (around 2V) to heater. But when I power it for more than couple seconds diode starts to dimm and colour shifts to yellow-ish... That scared me so I quickly disconnected the laser. Laser is on heat sink. Does anyone here ever encountered this behaviour? Is it possible I can destroy it?
Thx
Your givin The heater too much voltage/current drop it down start from zero ,and start from there, as you watch the output stop on the brightest pulse should be below 2 V

masood1234

Hey guys,

Received my tiny Osram OPS laser from eBay last week and managed to get it up and running. These things are tiny, real interesting piece of engineering. These aren't you're typical Nd:YAG/YVO4 green; they use a semiconductor chip pumped by an 808nm diode instead. The result is a very compact form factor and fantastic beam specs. Perfect TEM00, 0.3mm diameter at aperture (4-8mRad divergence) and up to 100mW or so output power. One of the nicest beams I've seen out of a solid state laser, arguably better than the beam from my old Coherent Compass 115M.

Here's what they look like (hand for scale):

q1YyZNt.jpg

And here's what's inside:

9DutLF7.png

Note: The labels on this diagram are somewhat inaccurate. The LD is 808nm, the part labeled "DBR" is the OPS chip. Everything else should be fairly accurate.

I opted to buy one without the driver seeing as they were $40 cheaper, so I had to build my own. Not much is required, just ~450mA constant current for the diode and 1.5-2.0V for the crystal heater. Used a pair of LM317s. Decided to go with SMD resistors for the current setting so had to use 4 as a single 0805 wouldn't handle the power, the less holes I have to drill the better! Here's the result:

Schematic:

7NDsvWu.png

Board:

wu10RiQ.png

To make the PCB I used the toner transfer method:

lsgZdHT.jpg

Transfer wasn't the best, but it turned out good enough the first time so I rolled with it.

Board etched, toner removed and tinning added:

MKGEndl.jpg

Components soldered (turns out I missed an SMD resistor, and left the indicator LED off because I didn't see a need for it in the end):

ogl5up8.jpg

TxVhKKW.jpg

Etch was done using hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide.

Mounted to a heatsink with flying leads and a little breakout board sort of thing. The leads from the driver were too thick to solder direct to the module, so I used this approach. AA battery for scale.

YkJJMbM.jpg

OywDWEs.jpg

Light! Fired up perfectly the first time. Diode current is ~365mA.

eCqd6Oa.jpg

Spot at the other end of my living room:

eeBGBCU.jpg

Obligatory beamshot and a closeup:

74kZXme.jpg

TcGSWZg.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed, feel free to ask any questions!
What are the values of the 4 resistors in parallel?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Keep in mind that old threads may not be the best place to expect a reply from.