Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL520 50mW 520nm Laser Diode

looking to get a very small drive for this diode, if some one has a link to one could you send it to me thanks, that has been tested!

Probably not if the pictures are of the actual lenses. The true green/blue laser lens coatings do not color day-light lamp's reflections in blue (a feature of the red lenses).

Another not specified parameter is the lens NA, numerical aperture, aka a lens collecting power. It should be possible to calculate it from the picture with known thread M9x0.5 as the reference. Rough guess it is ~0.3.

jimdt7

Does anybody know if these are case-positive or case negative? :thinking:

Thanks,
Jim

DTR

Case neutral.:beer:

10.gif

jimdt7

So if I have a case positive build I need to wire the case pin to the V+ on the driver right?

Jim

DTR

Only if your host does not have a ground lead. If it does then you don't use the case pin at all. If your host does not provide a ground lead then the case pin of the diode can be used for the driver ground input.:beer:

OMG let me tell you this diode of pure green is AWESOME!

I love it I love it I love it.

Ohh wait.... 50mW ... Update*

Damn i'm so excited... i had to post.... 1W of 520 next to 3W of 445 and 1W of 635 = Orgasm :D

Damn... gone make video tonight packing up my ruggsack of exuipment.

Last edited:
I still have this laser, and it's neat to have. I bought this laser mostly for novelity (after all, it's my first homebrew Gallium-Nitride handheld laser), and later on holography use. The green shade's nice (pretty much the same color as the recent green GaN LEDs), and the divergence is just unbelievable even for the single-mode diode.

Interestingly, the pundy 5mW green laser pointer I bought from Radio Shack displayed somewhat yucky yellow shade compared to this laser diode and I gotta agree with some peoples that without the green DPSS laser to compare with, it would be mistaken for the 532nm DPSS laser which it obviously is not.

And nice thing about DTR's bundled Microboost switchmode driver is that it have consistient cutoff voltage at 2.4 ~ 2.2 Volts, making this laser option perfect for the usage with single unprotected 3.2 Volts Lithium : Iron Phosphate cell, which I have been using my laser that way (with the A123 18650 Li : FePO4 cell) ever since I assembled it.

Last edited:
Surprisingly low divergence, approaching that of a hand-tuned DPSS laser. You can lterally see the green dot on the cloud with this laser (even though I don't encourge anyone to point to the planes, it's illegal - I check twice before lighting my laser up).

I still have this laser, and it's neat to have. I bought this laser mostly for novelity (after all, it's my first homebrew Gallium-Nitride handheld laser), and later on holography use. The green shade's nice (pretty much the same color as the recent green GaN LEDs), and the divergence is just unbelievable even for the single-mode diode.

Interestingly, the pundy 5mW green laser pointer I bought from Radio Shack displayed somewhat yucky yellow shade compared to this laser diode and I gotta agree with some peoples that without the green DPSS laser to compare with, it would be mistaken for the 532nm DPSS laser which it obviously is not.

And nice thing about DTR's bundled Microboost switchmode driver is that it have consistient cutoff voltage at 2.4 ~ 2.2 Volts, making this laser option perfect for the usage with single unprotected 3.2 Volts Lithium : Iron Phosphate cell, which I have been using my laser that way (with the A123 18650 Li : FePO4 cell) ever since I assembled it.

Thanks for all the info right here! I'm planning on using one of these diodes with one 4.2v 6000mAh Li-ion battery and a fixed current driver set at 220mA. Heat sinked diode of coarse. My question is; is that to much voltage? Should I just stick with one 3.7v?
Thanks for taking the time to help.