Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL450B in a Stainless Steel CR2-sized host

Hey everyone, here’s another build I deemed review worthy because I like it so much:

Since I had a low powered 450nm diode lying around, and been thinking of doing a fairly small build, I decided to order some supplies and go at it.

What I used for this build was:

Stainless Steel CR2 kit from Jayrob
V5 FlexDrive
Osram PL450B diode from DTR
1 x RCR2 Battery

As per usual, my parts arrived in a timely fashion form both DTR and Jayrob, and I already had the FlexDrive. The first thing to do was to connect the FlexDrive up to my test load and check my current. The current I decided on was 310mA, and the closest I could get was 308mA, which I was happy with.

2uztaj8.jpg

The next part was to install the diode in the module and connect it to both the battery PCB as well as the driver. The CR2 kit came with the original flashlight driver, which I had to remove all of the original components and check the connections with my DMM. After playing around with the host, I found it worked best to mount my FlexDrive directly to the diode, while using short leads on the other end from the driver to the battery contact.

2la58oi.jpg

To prevent any shorts, I also wrapped the driver with a small piece of electrical tape.

t06ohz.jpg

Although I don’t have any pictures of this part of the assembly, it was a little tough to screw in the pill which keeping the heatsink stationary with respect to the pill from keeping any wires getting tangled. To help this, and to make things secure, thermal adhesive was used between the pill and the heatsink, as well as a little arctic silver between the host the heatsink. This was to ensure that the whole host acts as a heatsink.

Here is the whole kit before final assembly

33ynad3.jpg

The host is very small, and I love it, it is really heavy for its size also, which feels very solid. My only complaint here is that it gets fingerprints on it easily, but that’s what to expect with a mirror finish. Overall this is probably my favorite laser, it is fairly low-powered (but still dangerous), small enough to put in my pocket or even on a keychain, and super bright.

k1yw3k.jpg

oar9sp.jpg

sgu4x2.jpg

Now time for the LPM tests. I tested this laser with both a 3-element glass lens and with a G2 lens from DTR. Between the two lenses there is just under a 20% increase in power.

2z683nn.jpg

4sgqzb.jpg

Finally a couple beam shots

2r21yxv.jpg

5d2glc.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Awesome build :gj:
+1 for the great build, I love the host :)

What's the battery life like with the cr123?

you should update your sig with your reviews and build threads of your lasers :)

Last edited:

IsaacT

Great build!!! I think I am going to need one of these!

Reactions: ped
That's a very nice build! +1 on it!

I love my PL450..that single-mode dot is so pretty.

Reactions: ped

IsaacT

I think I am going to have to build in that host too! Is that jayrob's SS C3 Host kit? And are you using a 14500 battery?

It's JayRobs CR2 kit, using a CR2 battery. I chose rechargeables. About half the size of a 14500.

gismo

Tell you what: this stainless steel "baby blue" certainly has its magic, in the category of small EDC's shines its own way through:cool:

I own the same host (though less mirrored) as a CR2 flashlight and find it extremely portable, yet powerful.

Good review deserves rep.

:gj:

Last edited: