Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Orange 607nm 170mW kvant Labby

607nm 170mW kvant Lab Laser

Yes. PURE Orange.

It all started here...

...Yup.

The color:
The best way I can descibe it is juicy. This is a very saturated orange color with no bleeding into red or yellow. Pure. Orange. I will say however those of us with 589's can play around with some 532's and 520's for a while. If the 589 looks pretty orange after a while of that, it's pretty close to the 607's color. Just not as "juicy".

About this head:
This is a 170mW head from kvant. They are advertised at 180mW but the lead time on this was so long (2+ months) that I just accepted the 10mW underspec they came up with and asked them to send it as-is.

607nm itself is generated through DPSS that is a little unusual compared to what we normally see. Instead of a process our 532's use of 808 -> 1064 -> 532, this uses a different pump wavelength and has a transition directly at 607nm. In this case, this crystal wants a ~445nm pump wavelength, and you can even see some of it leaking through on the right, and additionally some of the other transitions peek through a little bit with that greenish spot on the left being the only one I could picture.

As measured by kvant from the factory, this has a 0.76 mRad divergence. I measured 0.8 without any sort of good equipment. It's nice to receive these QA checks along with the head.

The beam shape starts in TEM00, then goes up in power and hops to a shape resembling the asterisk symbol (*)

However... there is only TEC stabilization on the internal optics for cooling. There is no fan... so I will need to piece together my own cooling solution. I have something in mind, I just need to build it first... I'll give an update when I get that put together. On a flat metal surface (all the pics in this post) it has about 10 minutes of run time that I'm comfortable with. Without any heat spread, it's only about a minute on that I would subject it to.

How it stacks up against 589nm and 635nm:

So since I bought this... does that mean 607nm lasers are coming down in price anytime soon? No. Any chance of handhelds? No. CNI says that cannot be done since the optics they need to get any appreciable amount of light are too big. I didn't check with kvant, however I waited 2 months for them to build this head in their standard size. Who knows how long it would take to produce one small enough for a handheld, if they even could at all.

And I'll end it with a link to the album and a dump of a couple more pics. I add to these albums every now and again so there's always more to go around.

Thanks for checking this out! This is my new all-time favorite laser.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Great, i'm glad you received it alright.
That is one special laser. Excellent pics and thanks for sharing Z!
I've been looking forward to this one and I envy you right now.. :p
The Pr:YLF crystal inside is very expensive alone so you got this unit for a very fair price.

jnrpop

Wow the $$$ :eek: Congrats on this new and rare addition to yr collection Z (y), very rare and.....well vary unique! About 10 years ago I picked up a very unique diode that was tested to do 250mW at ~605nm, it was an experimental die material and Cu block setup, I'll try and dig up a picture. I never ended up building it though and sold it to another member...yep, regretting that dicision :cautious:

Cheers for the review :coffee:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
What a beautiful wavelength, Z; thanks for sharing your pics with us!
I hope you're not on a mac n cheese diet after buying this gem. ;)

PS - Nice to see you posting again.

Last edited:
Z. send that laser to me ASAP.. I need to test it for you & will send back right away (NOT)
congrats
You are now a member of a very small group..
''532 w/ envy'' just changed his username to ''607 w/ a lot of envy''
& being a Kvant sez a lot too..

Encap

Nice laser--nice buy---very unusual wavelenght and the orange color is something different.

Good luck with it.

Supreminator

607nm 170mW kvant Lab Laser

Yes. PURE Orange.

It all started here...

...Yup.

The color:
The best way I can descibe it is juicy. This is a very saturated orange color with no bleeding into red or yellow. Pure. Orange. I will say however those of us with 589's can play around with some 532's and 520's for a while. If the 589 looks pretty orange after a while of that, it's pretty close to the 607's color. Just not as "juicy".

About this head:
This is a 170mW head from kvant. They are advertised at 180mW but the lead time on this was so long (2+ months) that I just accepted the 10mW underspec they came up with and asked them to send it as-is.

607nm itself is generated through DPSS that is a little unusual compared to what we normally see. Instead of a process our 532's use of 808 -> 1064 -> 532, this uses a different pump wavelength and has a transition directly at 607nm. In this case, this crystal wants a ~445nm pump wavelength, and you can even see some of it leaking through on the right, and additionally some of the other transitions peek through a little bit with that greenish spot on the left being the only one I could picture.

As measured by kvant from the factory, this has a 0.76 mRad divergence. I measured 0.8 without any sort of good equipment. It's nice to receive these QA checks along with the head.

The beam shape starts in TEM00, then goes up in power and hops to a shape resembling the asterisk symbol (*)

However... there is only TEC stabilization on the internal optics for cooling. There is no fan... so I will need to piece together my own cooling solution. I have something in mind, I just need to build it first... I'll give an update when I get that put together. On a flat metal surface (all the pics in this post) it has about 10 minutes of run time that I'm comfortable with. Without any heat spread, it's only about a minute on that I would subject it to.

How it stacks up against 589nm and 635nm:

So since I bought this... does that mean 607nm lasers are coming down in price anytime soon? No. Any chance of handhelds? No. CNI says that cannot be done since the optics they need to get any appreciable amount of light are too big. I didn't check with kvant, however I waited 2 months for them to build this head in their standard size. Who knows how long it would take to produce one small enough for a handheld, if they even could at all.

And I'll end it with a link to the album and a dump of a couple more pics. I add to these albums every now and again so there's always more to go around.

Thanks for checking this out! This is my new all-time favorite laser.
Congratulations. It's got a very nice colour. I don't expect that to be in a hand held pointer any time soon, maybe in a few years once it becomes a more popular wavelength choice.

Very nice, it looks like almost a yellow/orange color beam on my screen, if so that's great, kind of like how the 488nm looks blue/green it can be perceived differently depending on it's surroundings.

I just now see you have a new thread on this, Zach. I can understand after waiting for over two months that you would just want to get anything that they had, but the fact that it mode hops and doesn't hold to a TEM00 is a bit distressing. I do like the color. I hope you are able to get the temperature control solved and it will fall in place and no longer mode hop. ;)

You would think that going from 445 straight to 607 would be easier than summing with LBO

How much 445 to get 170mw of 607 ?

Benm

Very nice color i must say.

Considering the price tag it's a bit out of reach for now, but who knows, it may get more affordable in the future :)

Hi Z,
You finally got it awesome great Orange color to better than fresh squeezed OJ .. Enjoy it and it doesn't matter how much it cost as long as you happy with it. These are one in a lifetime purchases and thanks so much for sharing them here . yes the last time we spoke you said it was coming and here it is.

Rich:)

thats an awful lot of orange, puts our HeNe tubes to shame. Gorgeous. I always loved anything in the 589-612 range.Very special, didn't even know a 607nm was out there. :)

That crystal in your third photo looks like it might have been grown. What is it and is it a synthetic crystal?

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to share more of it as I go. Tomorrow I'll bust out the fog machine.

Also, I want to rephrase something... I don't think 607nm dpss will ever drop in price to an affordable range. It's always been this price, for the past 5 or so years. If anything it'll be sample oramge diodes like jnrpop got, much like the 475nm diodes we had last summer. @Benm @Supreminator

@jnrpop please share that diode if you can! I'd love to see it

@paul1598419 the crystal is selenite. They're very cheap and have properties somewhat similar to fiber optics, I like using it since the color spreads through it well. Though it's very soft and easy to damage... I can scratch it with my fingernail. I'm also hoping that the heatsink solves the mode hopping. Though it looks much worse in the pictures than it does in person. I don't notice it unless I'm really looking at it. I'll take this anyday over TEM01 for sure.