Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Orange 607nm 170mW kvant Labby

chloderic

That crystal in your third photo looks like it might have been grown. What is it and is it a synthetic crystal?
I would say it is fibrous gypsum ... ?

Thanks for the pics ---- !

ZRaffleticket

Beautiful color!

Is it a duct tape on a heatsink? Do you really need it? It covers quite a lot of surface and reduced heat exchange.

Also consider blowing area across the laser base (not a long) to reduce flowing air influence on the beam.
Unfortunately yeah that is duct tape across it. The fins are very uneven and the airflow wasn't as good without it. I compared the thermal with and without using my flir (I do understand this isn't the most accurate method). After 20 minutes there was a 10 degree (5C) difference in favor of the tape.

And yeah, when I ultimately get tired of this ghetto look I'll get a good heatsink and blow across. I have noticed it does affect the beam, especially since we have a coal burning furnace (very dusty!)

I would say it is fibrous gypsum ... ?

Thanks for the pics ---- !
Yep, fibrous gypsum - selenite.

Last edited:

paul1598419

You have a coal burning furnace, Zach? Must be an older house. I remember when I lived in Massachusetts we had an oil burning furnace that needed to be filled just before the winter started. That was in the late 50s and very early 60s. When my mother died in 76, we buried her in the family plot there and I visited that house. It was a lot smaller than I remembered it.

ZRaffleticket

Actually neither are that old, house is from the 70s and the stove was installed (replaced the old with a new one) in 2013. We're right in the coal region in PA

paul1598419

Huh, I learn something new every day. I had no idea people were still buying coal burning furnaces anywhere in the US. It is a particularly dirty fuel to use.