Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics RPL-II 532 nm +1400 mW - opinions and experience?

Am i understanding this thread correctly ? This laser is currently the most powerful 532 nm that also has a very tight low divergent beam as well out of the box ?

Sign me up !

If you go to their webpage and click on "portable lasers" and then "bargain basement" it says "No products are currently available in this category" LOL I LIKE THAT ! lol

Last edited:
Am i understanding this thread correctly ? This laser is currently the most powerful 532 nm that also has a very tight low divergent beam as well out of the box ?

Sign me up !

The most powerful handheld, yes. There are much higher powers available for 532nm but only in lab format ;)

-Alex

I really would like to see in person what 1.4 watts of green in a very tight beam at night, Is it much more visible than a beam twice as wide at 8 watts of 450mn ?

I must say my 303 Prome Star Series Green Laser 532nm 80mW DPSS a very tight needle thin beam BUT it's not as visible at night as i thought it would be ?

Last edited:
Probably is 25 mw or more IR, most of those pointers don't have an IR filter.

I've built 532nm lasers with IR filters that output over 160 mW. Did so several years ago and those look very visible at night. They are pretty visible in daylight too.

Last edited:

Encap

Radim: Just saw your early look/see photos and write up. Thanks for that treat.

Appears to have good beam quality and low divergence as promised --very very bright output and very nicely done overall package by Optotronics.
The heavy duty host and pushbutton on/off look great and up to the job--nice knurling as well.
From your description of the host not even getting warm I would guess 60 seconds on with a good safety margin beyond should not be a problem.

Looking forward to your detailed review. Best of luck with it---it is a gem of a high powered hand held 532nm for sure.

Last edited:
I really would like to see in person what 1.4 watts of green in a very tight beam at night, Is it much more visible than a beam twice as wide at 8 watts of 450mn ?

Here you are:

Disclaimer:
Formula for the program above (comparing beam visibility) are assuming a dot with equal size, but in fact the 450nm's dot will have minimum of 3x area of 532nm's dot, thus the 450nm power value will need to be multiplied by factor of 3.
So, a 1400mW 532nm is roughly the same visibility as 28500mW 450nm!!!!!
:lasergun:

Last edited:
Nice, near 30 watts of 450 nm to equal it, as far as the power density appearance, yikes. I'd like to see that new pointer for myself, my JL is impressive when it 800 mw output but drops to 400 mw after it warms up too much. Because of that I'm curious how this behaves as it warms.

Astralist, what program produced that graphic?

The program I'm using is Vritonuzz (Hyperion LPM Datalogger Program)

Actually My JL 800mW is only outputting 600mW if powered by 4.2V battery and gone low pretty fast although it's using freshly charged battery
It is fairly stable when i used 5V adapter, BUT it's jumping low and high.
Take a look at this:

PL-_E_532nm_800m_W.png

I think they need a really good battery, or you can simply use a stable 5V >2A power supply

The difficulty in DPSS system is AFAIK lies on the optimum temperature of the crystals
it is problematic because the KTP optimal in high temperature while the Nd:YVO4 optimal in low temperature (or the other way aroud?? CMIIW, i forgot it :confused:)

Last edited:

Radim

Allright, regarding some points mentioned:
From my first impressions it does not seem the temperature will be as much problem as I expected. The host is really massive. I'm not sure about previous RPL, but this one has also something like heatsink for batt - like metal around. It is great as batt also heats up. It was quite warm when I changed it after run. I need to test the laser and get experience. So I'll wait for review to say more.

The host is different, yes, but I love it. I just got worried if I'm able to find aperture side in dark during laserpainting. It is about getting used to it and handle it instinctivelly and not to point it wrong direction. Also as key remains in lock, no diode is needed as it acts like safety feature. I was thinking about changing the lock for this where key might be pulled out when in on position, but as there is no LED (likely not even light coming from aperture when closed - I did not try) some safety feature is needed. Still I consider changing it for safety pin/remote switch. I'll see how it goes in practice.

Hi Radim,
AFAIK you don't have an LPM
Do you wish to borrow my Hyperion LPM?
Because I am curious about the power stability of this RPL,
And not to mention I want to start an LPM lending system
Maybe you'll be the first borrower. :D

The LPM will travel around the world in its lifetime :D
No one will be charged (of cash or other thing) for borrowing Hyperion LPM
I'll create a detailed thread about this.

Let me know if you're interested :beer:

Radim

Hi Astralist,
thanks, that is a great idea. I'm just worried how it would survive multiple travelling? Also the customs might do some problems like wanting to pay some duties even for gifts etc. Whatever Jack measured it for me but he had not the camera he uses for certification so I do not have chart. Still I consider to get some LPM for more precise exposure calculations (like at what temperature what amount of light I get and how long to keep laser on for sufficient exposure). So far I have experience large variations might be observable quite well.

Reactions: GSS