Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Open Source LaserBee SDK!

My comment was because of the current behavior. If the two of you were able to cooperate symbiotically, this would end differently. Although he won't let that happen for some reason. I think the thoughts of betterment as a conclusion of your cooperation is almost unanimous.

Why must there be so much animosity between organizations? Is your pride really worth the denying of self, and group, betterment? I think you need to take a step back and look at the damage you've done, and find a way to fix it. Trust me when I say you've done a lot.

Looking forward to a [hopeful] LPM conglomerate.

This pissing war has gotten old.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG
i'm not taking sides but look from jerry's stand point. If something goes wrong on the end user side, you guys know a fair share of them will blame jerry for no wrongdoing of his own and/or lie about not upgrading altogether, just for warranty. The fair thing would be to buy the laserbees, upgrade them yourself and resell them.

Trevor

My comment was because of the current behavior. If the two of you were able to cooperate symbiotically, this would end differently. Although he won't let that happen for some reason. I think the thoughts of betterment as a conclusion of your cooperation is almost unanimous.

Why must there be so much animosity between organizations? Is your pride really worth the denying of self, and group, betterment? I think you need to take a step back and look at the damage you've done, and find a way to fix it. Trust me when I say you've done a lot.

Looking forward to a [hopeful] LPM conglomerate.

This pissing war has gotten old.

I'm not 100% sure who you're addressing, and when you're addressing them in your post... but I get the gist and agree. :)

i'm not taking sides but look from jerry's stand point. If something goes wrong on the end user side, you guys know a fair share of them will blame jerry for no wrongdoing of his own and/or lie about not upgrading altogether, just for warranty. The fair thing would be to buy the laserbees, upgrade them yourself and resell them.

Yeah - it makes 100% sense for the warranty to be void if you start modifying stuff. That's why I put Jerry's "legal" disclaimer in the OP. The issue of people messing up products and wanting to claim some sort of warranty repair already occurs here fairly often with lasers, and to a lesser degree with LPM's. A properly constructed dev kit for the LaserBee platform won't change that.

All that being said, there's no reason the toolkit shouldn't be available to the public for free. After all, soldering irons, DMM's, and screwdrivers are too - and they will do far more damage to a LaserBee.

Trevor

Last edited:
Trevor I would like it to be known that the laserbee II deluxe I bought from you works very well. I held onto a few standard lasers and my new lpm gives the same readings that my laserbee a did. The lpm you sold me showed no signs of tampering what so ever. The sensor was indeed in great, apparently unused condition. I have gotten what I've wanted, an accurate, affordable lpm. Thank you!

Trevor

Trevor I would like it to be known that the laserbee II deluxe I bought from you works very well. I held onto a few standard lasers and my new lpm gives the same readings that my laserbee a did. The lpm you sold me showed no signs of tampering what so ever. The sensor was indeed in great, apparently unused condition. I have gotten what I've wanted, an accurate, affordable lpm. Thank you!

I'm very glad you're happy with it! You're always great to work with! :D

Trevor

That's good to hear... I will take your word on it that it is still
calibrated and working correctly.

We will take your LaserBee II off the Black Listed LPMs list and
your LaserBee will be serviced by us if ever you need it.

@ Trevor
Thanks for not tampering with this LaserBee product S/N10121
According to Cheech it seems to be pristine.

It doesn't really even need to be that way - for a prime example, look at the relationship between Canon and Magic Lantern.

Trevor
I don't see any relationship between Canon and ML....
I do see this... that states the contrary..

From their ML website..
Disclaimer (English-German)

(German version below)

Magic lantern Software

Magic Lantern is not affiliated, associated in any way with Canon. Using Magic Lantern was never approved nor endorsed by Canon in any way. Magic Lantern does not contain any Canon code. We, team Magic Lantern do not distribute any copyrighted code or cryptographic secrets, neither from Canon nor from any other third party. All the knowledge used for development was obtained by analyzing ARM code, by experimenting, and from lawfully obtained documentation.

That is exactly my point...
If you take a LaserBee™product and change it by hardware or
firmware it is no longer considered a LaserBee™ Product and will
not be serviced or warranted by J.BAUER Electronics.

If you decide to sell your Modified/Tampered with LaserBee™ product
it is no longer a LaserBee™ product and the trade marked LaserBee™
name must be removed in all descriptions and references of this new
Modified/Tampered with non LaserBee™ product.

People are free to do what they want with their original LaserBee™
product. But once you change it from the way it was sold by us you can
no longer call it a LaserBee™. Using our Trade Marked product name
to make a sale of your no longer a LaserBee™ product would be riding
on our global LaserBee™ product reputation that we have built up
in the past ~6 years with top notch Customer Service...a solid LaserBee
LPM product line and a lot of expense. Not to mention you are or may be
violating Trade Mark law.

Doing so would only hurt our sales when these non authorized or approved
Modified/Tampered with LaserBee™ products may fail.

We are not going to be held responsible for a product that does not contain
the same work product or intellectual property as when it left the shop.

That is basic business and is not difficult to grasp.

@ Trevor

Like I've said before why not design your own original product to develop your
firmware on rather than continually trying to riding our LaserBee™ product coattails...

Why not work on your old buddy's Kenometer products instead...
It could use some new Firmware that can handle the Zeroing problems in your
Firmware and Software.

Our LaserBee™ products sell very nicely all over the Globe and have gained a good
well know global reputation. We really don't want or need any help redesigning our
Firmware or EagleEye™ Data Logging software that you refused to design for us...;)

BTW we only offer a potential supplier one chance to do business with us. We gave
you 2 chances and you failed. We will not hand out a third.
You have shown time and time again that we can't trust you... but that's life and it
goes on...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevor

Thanks for taking cheech226's LPM off your blacklist. As you can see, I am a man of my word and it has not been tampered with.

IMO, a LaserBee running custom firmware is still just as much a LaserBee as one running the original firmware. But... that's a matter of opinion and isn't worth arguing in any parallel universe. Besides, arguing with me over how to sell a LaserBee running Ellipsis is pretty pointless, since I have one to sell and I don't own Ellipsis anymore.

I mentioned Magic Lantern, because Canon does not have any sort of partnership with them. Canon tolerates their presence because they give Canon free benefit. And Canon isn't trying to actively stifle Magic Lantern. Not exactly symbiosis at its finest, but it's a mutually beneficial relationship nonetheless.

As for why I don't do something else?

Well, I already did everything that could be done on the Kenometer.
(Tangentially, what zeroing problems in my Kenometer firmware? I've been looking for something to code...)
I already built a successor to Luminosity.
I already released OpenLPM, the open-source LPM codebase.
I already released Peregrine, the open-source LPM interface.

The LaserBee was the last frontier that I hadn't yet worked on, so I did. And now I made a little open-source SDK for it. Now I've sold Ellipsis, released the SDK, and I can move on to bigger and better things. And I am, which makes this argument pretty moot. Unless something earth-shattering happens, I'm done developing on LaserBees.

I can't say off the top of my head when I've betrayed your trust... I mean, I'm pretty sure you've hated me for well over a year now, but I can't recall actually ever violating your trust.

Hell, you mention that I "failed" - that's because the source code you sent me was phenomenally poorly written. You trusted me with that source code, and I've done nothing but uphold it ever since.

Trevor

Last edited:
Noted, shouldn't have bitten the bait on that one...

Good luck Trevor, cannot wait to see what you come up with next.

Well, I already did everything that could be done on the Kenometer.
(Tangentially, what zeroing problems in my Kenometer firmware? I've been looking for something to code...)

The LaserBee was the last frontier that I hadn't yet worked on, so I did. And now I made a little open-source SDK for it. Now I've sold Ellipsis, released the SDK, and I can move on to bigger and better things. And I am, which makes this argument pretty moot. Unless something earth-shattering happens, I'm done developing on LaserBees.

I'm pretty sure you've hated me for well over a year now, but I can't recall actually ever violating your trust.

Hell, you mention that I "failed" - that's because the source code you sent me was phenomenally poorly written. You trusted me with that source code, and I've done nothing but uphold it ever since.

Trevor

Here's a link to remind you about the zeroing issues.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/regarding-recent-questions-lpm-accuracy-70181.html#post1012262

That's refreshing to hear....:beer:

I've never hated you.... what I said is I don't trust you.
Those are two entirely different things....

I did not trust you with our original EagleEye source
code. Luckily we had you sign a NDA before we sent it.

Too bad your programming skills were never able to do
do what we wanted.
At least it didn't cost us anything for your failure to
accomplish the programming task....:beer:

EDIT
BTW Things.... I was not arguing... I thanked Bloomy...
for his contribution...;)

Jerry

Last edited:

Trevor

Too bad your programming skills were never able to do
do what we wanted.
At least it didn't cost us anything for your failure to
accomplish the programming task....:beer:

Jerry

Well, if we're talking about it...

EagleEye is hands-down the worst written program I have ever had the misfortune of working on.

It's a wonder it works at all, and it's no wonder I couldn't fix it for you.

EDIT: I've explained the zeroing "feature" of Luminosity many times. I wrote it the way Kenom wanted it written. Luminosity is licensed to the Kenometer project and has since been retired in favor of Peregrine, so I won't be changing it, sorry.

Trevor

Last edited:
Eagle eye didn't work on my win 7 64bit laptop. I had to down trade from a laserbee 2.5 to a laserbee a.
As soon as I find a cable to connect my laserbee ii (trevor?) to my laptop I want to try peregrine.

Last edited:

Yeah, why are you modifying that desktop PC? Go build your own damn PC and quit riding the manufacturer's coat-tails.

Why are you putting a different stereo in that car? Go make your own damn car and quit riding the factory's coat-tails.

Why are you drawing on that paper? Go make your own damn paper and quit riding the paper mill's coat-tails.

Yeah, why are you modifying that desktop PC? Go build your own damn PC and quit riding the manufacturer's coat-tails.

Why are you putting a different stereo in that car? Go make your own damn car and quit riding the factory's coat-tails.

Why are you drawing on that paper? Go make your own damn paper and quit riding the paper mill's coat-tails.

Funny funny.

I would be honored if someone chose a product I designed and made it better/opened it up to more buyers. But I guess that's just me.