Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

One thing leads to another, New "Old Iron" Logan 820 Lathe now in the house

Well...I have been YET again...Sidetracked ! For the last month, I have been doing work on a vintage Logan 820 Lathe I purchased. Most of the refurbishment was complete when purchased. I did much clean up and repaint, Apron clutch repair, new feet and I did have to put on a new 3/4 HP 1725 RPM motor. It was great fun !!! I am lucky to have finally found such a machine, which was manufactured in 1946 ! Yikes ! It is built like a Tank !! Run -out great ! All components work ! I would have spent double on a new machine ! and I am sure it would not be built ANY where near as heavy duty !! See the attached pic....anyway.....

Yes, that IS the famous Terrawatt dog ! My point is that the Laser Pointer hobby has taken me down the road of Machining, Electronics, Optics and CAD.

The LP hobby is like an endless Fractal Bifurcation....one things just leads to another, then another....then another !!! Call it Co-lateral Damage to my Wallet.

SOooo...I can now machine much bigger parts ! I can now do threading. I am now returning to the many concurrent build projects that I have ongoing !

Just a FYI ! Woppie !

CDBEAM

Attachments

• Logan 820 done 9_9_2019.jpg
    Logan 820 done 9_9_2019.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 26

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice looking old logan, I'm jealous! (y)
Be sure and say hi to Terrawatt.

Great to see you have that, wish I had one, but even more so, the ability to use one. For now, I will need to have others do work for me building unique hosts, not having one here in Qatar where I don't know how long I will stay here in this job, contract up for rebid in about 16 months.

Thanx ALL !! There is a great satisfaction in bringing a machine back from years of abuse !! They call these vintage machines " Old Iron "..

See this website...

I have made a few contributions there which documented my work...see in the Logan section.

The wife asks…" Why did you buy something that looks like it belongs in Greenfield Village/ Henry Ford Museum " ?
Hahahaha. She does NOT get it !

Later,
Bob

reloader45

Hallo,

it is only the base that looks vintage with its curved legs. New lathes look similar, with the exception of CNC machines.
What type of bearings has the main spindle?

best regards

Edgar

Main Spindle bearings replaced with OEM bearings from Logan. Sealed Bearing. Not sure the model #.

Well, My 820 has a vintage look 4 sure....and is built like a tank.....hails from a different age !!! Run-out was critical in 1946....and is critical in 2019...73 years later !! Now, with a new motor....ALL is good ! I am lucky to have found it....and...it was local !!

After my cleaning and repainting efforts, along with the other work I have done, I now feel familiar with most aspects of the machine ! Time to make some " Metallic Curly Fries " hahaha...Beam out

Thanx Paul....It took a long time to find one in good shape....at a good price !!! Christmas came early !!

Ya know.....rescuing an old machine...is like rescuing an companion animal from the shelter ( we have 4 of those )...something that has been abused and tossed away.....that with some TLC...is a great treasure !!! Terrawatt was NOT a rescue dog....she just hit the lotto and became a queen here !!!

Anyway.... "Old Iron" machine's were built to last....and mine did. I will surly enjoy creating new Laser Pointer host's with this !! Later,
Bob