Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Old-Style Welder's Goggles, Great for Lasers?

Hey everyone. So I recently got into steampunk, and as everyone knows, steampunk is nothing without goggles. Anyway, so I am working on creating my own goggles, so I bought a pair of old welder's goggles, and, after some tests on my LPM, it seems that the light they are letting through won't even give a reading!

I am not saying these are perfectly safe - far from it. However, the plan was originally to replace the glass filter with cut outs from various laser goggle filters so that they can be handy and epic at the same time... but I may not need to do that!

Just thought I should share with you guys!

And after testing multiple wavelengths, it seems the only one it *isn't* amazing at blocking (even visually) is 532nm. And even that still didn't get a reading on my LPM.

Last edited:

i think that just buying goggles is cheaper. but i don't know how welder goggles costs.

Wolfman you may have hit on the next best thing in lasers I think so +2 bro :D

No really if a guy only needs to buy one pair of laser safety glasses instead of three different pairs that saves some cash right there ;)

More research needs to be done to see if this is really going to work.

Last edited:
Well, yeah. Point being though, these aren't rated for that protection. And they are tinted green, so we know for a FACT that they aren't that great for green wavelengths.

I can't load your link for some reason. :( Cool discovery though.

Are they the old-school circle-lens-on-each-eye kind?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it's because the auction ended a while ago so the pic isn't on their server anymore.

Nice.

So you know what would be cool and steampunky? Attach a stack of each color lens at one point on the circle (like at 10 o'clock for one eye and 2 o'clock for the other) with a screw or some kind of a mounting bracket, and make each one able to swivel independently down over the eyes.

Edit:
kind of like this

P8240474.jpg

solsticesteamgoggles.jpg

Last edited:
I actually already have those magnifiers... and I am actually going to make those lens in the front flip-up so I can change between different goggles!

EDIT: Don't worry, I'm going to make these useful for my laser work AS WELL AS steampunky!

Last edited: