Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Offer - I have Access to a CNC 3 axis milling machine

I currently have access to an unused CNC 4 axis milling machine, and am starting in the laser hobby (I have just bought ready lasers up to now, never DIYed one). So, I could do something different. Instead of buying a case and heat sink, I could machine it myself. Having no experience, I have no idea on what to build exactly, I want to make a offer to anyone who wants.

I'm willing to machine any case/heatsink you want, as long as you can provide the CAD files and materials+shipping(I will buy the materials to build first myself). I think after making a few of those I will get the hang of it, and having experienced members asking for custom builds could be a useful learning process, both in the CNC business and the laser business.

I would be shipping from inside the US, the machine is free for anybody to use, but due to localization reasons it will be unused until the end of august. And just to make it clear, if I screw up for some reason I will pay for it, you literally would pay for the grams of material used.

About the file formats preference list:
1. Native Cad files (Inventor, Catia, Solidworks, Rhino, etc)
2. STP, IGS files

Machine: Roland MDX-540S, 4 axis, able to cut up to alluminum resistance.

Last edited:

First off, welcome to the forums.
Second, cool idea...I may have to take you up on your offer at some point. What format of file do you want, .STL? .STP?
Edit: consider adding your location to your profile, might help with an offer like this :)

Last edited:

ARG

Generous offer :) Going to echo crazyspaz, what kind of files do you need?

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I've added the location to my profile (Illinois, US) and the desired file formats in an edit to the main post.

+5 for the great idea/offer- AND for adding your location- we have a lot of fine members up that way-- welcome- TY for the sharing..

Please remember to introduce your self on the welcome section.

(a) if your going to build lasers please get correct safety gear such as laser safety glasses
one for red, one for blue wavelengths, one for green.
(b) you will need twenty posts when you come up with a product you can sell only place
to do that is the B/S/T section on LPF trying to get around the twenty post min
will get you suspended for at least a week
(c) use the search function to find out if a question has been asked!
(d) you will make friends fast and use their expertise as much as you can
(e) be safe and have fun!:beer:

Please remember to introduce your self on the welcome section.

(a) if your going to build lasers please get correct safety gear such as laser safety glasses
one for red, one for blue wavelengths, one for green.
(b) you will need twenty posts when you come up with a product you can sell only place
to do that is the B/S/T section on LPF trying to get around the twenty post min
will get you suspended for at least a week
(c) use the search function to find out if a question has been asked!
(d) you will make friends fast and use their expertise as much as you can
(e) be safe and have fun!:beer:

Thanks. I did not (or intend to) make a sellable product, though. I'm literally making a zero profit offer, in order to gain experience and help some members. I was aware about the laws about B/S/T section but truly did not mean to bypass them. Does my post actually break rule b?

Last edited:
Thanks. I did not (or intend to) make a sellable product, though. I'm literally making a zero profit offer, in order to gain experience and help some members. I was aware about the laws about B/S/T section but truly did not mean to bypass them. Does my post actually break rule b?

I do not think you broke that rule I was just making you aware of it the mods will have to weigh in with the opinion.

RayJay

No rules have been broken. A no profit offer is perfectly fine.

Also, +1 for the most generous offer! I will try to dig up some files!

No rules have been broken. A no profit offer is perfectly fine.

Also, +1 for the most generous offer! I will try to dig up some files!

Thanks!

Also updated main post with machine specs and some detailed info.

Last edited:
Sorry, just realized now that it is not default to receive e-mails for PMs. Your reply to the thread made me check them.