Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Off to Thailand

A private resort for two couples? I'd say you did get lucky there. That would take a lot of the fear of diseases prevalent in that part of the world. Nice videos, Jordan. Thanks for sharing it all with us.

JEEUSS, Ricker. I didn't want to see that. I don't even like to logon to something like that.

Yup, good idea to get an international license and copy it just in case it suddenly goes missing. Having a friend who works for the Thai Govt (Police and Military) An Intl. drivers license (IDP) is an absolute must if you plan on driving/renting a car or motorbike (what constitutes a motor-vehicle.) Scooters are usually fine without such paperwork. ( though laws may also vary depending on local bylaws.)

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver license.
The driver must carry the driver license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.
Section 42-2

In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.
Once you obtain a non-immigrant visa or establish you are a resident (such as enrolling kids in school, buy a car etc,) and are no longer a toursit, you need a Thai drivers licence as your national license and international driving permit is only legally accepted if you are a tourist. Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after a certain amount of time in Thailand.

While you are in Northern Thailand, do (I highly recommend) visiting Doi Chang coffee plantation in Chiang Rai. IF you like coffee, You'll love this place.

DCLogo1.jpg

Also, other places to visit are the White temple
Wat Rong Khun
~15Km south of Chiang Rai,
Includes StarWars characters/and marvel comics...etc set to Buddhist motifs.... It's quite a sight. :)

Other places, the golden Triangle tour... River boat tour..

Chiang Rai has a tonne of stuff to see!

Last edited:

Benm

That white temple near chang rai is one i still want to visit sometime. It seems very different from most thai temples but beautiful.

Maybe i'll visit northern thailand again as i do like it, though i have my hear set on spending some of this winter trip in myanmar and shell out on visiting Bagan. This is quite an expensive excursion (just $50 for the visa and $25 to enter that area, plus flight costs) though, so perhaps i'll go to northern thailand again instead - not sure yet.

DTR

I would like to see it but Chiang Rai is about 3-4 hours from Chiang Mai. Don't think we will get out that far. Yep they got me again yesterday for another 1000baht(about $30 US). Seems worth it if you are only going to be here for about a week. $30 every few days compared to going through the process for the international license.

This is interesting. At breakfast we are entertained by a guy playing a flute for a water buffalo and three ponies.

Last edited:
Well, I'm sure you'll have lots to talk about after finishing your trip.

Thailand is an adventure every day.
What you see around you and on TV is some of the most memorable experiences of your life.

Thai advertising is pretty different.
It can be heartfelt, then the next ad totally slapstick or ridiculous.
very little is in-between.

Last edited:
Oh the international license fiasco, I went there shortly after Seoul_laser did back in '12 and the biggest issue was with motorbike rental company. They tried to charge us 700usd for a new scratch on the skid plate. With our passports being held we had to bribe the local police to retrieve them by force lol! That was on Koh Tao.
Also watch your liquor, we were cheap and purchased an off label bottle of vodka. Talking to trusted locals in our hostel they said ethanol had been cut with the booze.

Fascinating photos and video from the north! DTR. Enjoy!

DTR

Oh the international license fiasco, I went there shortly after Seoul_laser did back in '12 and the biggest issue was with motorbike rental company. They tried to charge us 700usd for a new scratch on the skid plate. With our passports being held we had to bribe the local police to retrieve them by force lol! That was on Koh Tao.
Also watch your liquor, we were cheap and purchased an off label bottle of vodka. Talking to trusted locals in our hostel they said ethanol had been cut with the booze.

Yep never surrender your passport. I opted for a deposit instead which after a few days you burn through it anyway. Little tipsy at the moment. Just finished with the boxing matches. Lost few thousand baht. Rigged. Video up tomorrow.

Not sure what you meant by the booze was cut with ethanol. Ethanol is the alcohol in booze. Maybe you meant methanol. That was the toxic alcohol that killed and blinded so many during Prohibition.

Stay safe and don't get wiped out over there, Jordan. :)

Not sure what you meant by the booze was cut with ethanol. Ethanol is the alcohol in booze. Maybe you meant methanol. That was the toxic alcohol that killed and blinded so many during Prohibition.

Actually, Methanol in Alcohol is a big problem in Indonesia as well, though I didn't know it was in Thailand as well... not surprising, however.
I had a friend of mine go to Bali and then to Lombok about 3.5 years ago only to discover that several British tourists he
had met at a hostel consumed local alcohol there and were severely poisoned. One died, and the other tourist went blind.
I think that incident scared him enough not to touch alcohol in S.E Asia ever again. :tsk:

Thai hard alcohol is crazy potent though. Mehkong v. Sangsom is very popular all over Thailand!

As for beer:

Thai Amarit Bangkok. ...
Singha. (pron. "Sing") ...
Kloster. ...
Archa. ...
Leo Super. ...
Phuket Lager Beer...

Renting anything as a "Farang" is risky unless you are with a Khn thịy
or they are friends of friends...

Last edited:

I'm not positive what they actually cut it with; the guy said ethanol and I think he was implying maybe something used in equipment or maybe cheap home still of ethyl alcohol.
Either way it tasted awful. Coincidentally they sold gasoline in the same liquor bottle roadside. Haha if you've been there you know!

I would never drink anything that was home made in south east Asia. Ethyl alcohol is the same thing as ethanol. Too many people poisoned by methanol because it is cheap and does taste like alcohol, though I doubt it tastes good.

I'm not positive what they actually cut it with; the guy said ethanol and I think he was implying maybe something used in equipment or maybe cheap home still of ethyl alcohol.
Either way it tasted awful. Coincidentally they sold gasoline in the same liquor bottle roadside. Haha if you've been there you know!

What you describe is a typical gas station outside battambang, Cambodia.

Yup... people smoking and lighting up next to the pump and no $hits are given.
Safety is a luxury option.. :thinking:

Cambodia_GasStation.jpg

This is more what is seen outside the cities in Cambodia and in very rural parts of Thailand.
simple-fuel-station-sisophon-cambodia-asia-cxy3g9.jpg

Last edited:

Benm

Looks like you had a great time :)

I hope to be in thailand again in a month or two, always nice. Now figuring out if going to birma as well is a viable idea this time around :D

I was on your website and there were no buttons to order any diodes...I came looking around here and found you are on vacation. :D I watched a couple of your vids...looks beautiful over there! A lot nicer than the cold blast you will come back to. Glad you got to take some time off. I'll be placing a small order as soon as your site goes back up!