Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oclaro/USHIO 120mW Single Mode 638 Diodes (HL63603TG)

vk2fro

Cool! I just purchased a bare diode to experiment with. I already have a P3, so now the only thing I'll need is one of daves mounts (3.8mm diode) and an acrylic lens. Then copy the setup again, add a pbs cube and I should have 400mw of red easily.

Whats the beam like on these with the acrylic (I mean divergance, spot size near feild / at aperture)

edit: and it appears my diode is on its way already - thanks DTR :)

Last edited:

IsaacT

The one I have has a very very tight divergence. Still trying to figure out the numbers. My initial tests showed .169mRad at 9meters, but after some tinkering it looks like my focus converges from 3.63mm down to ~1mm or so after about 3meters, and then by 9meters from aperture was at 5.15mm.

So:
3.63mm @ aperture
1.20mm @ 3 meters
5.15mm @ 9 meters

Not sure if anyone knows how to calculate it from there....

EDIT: I pretended that the 1.2mm was at aperture, and that after 6 meters the dot was 5.15mm, and I got a divergence of .655mRad. Still pretty good.

Last edited:

vk2fro

Sounds like a good quality beam then - I'll be using the acrylic as DTR has said it gives the best beam profile. I'll then focus it like you did so it'll fit on my DT40W's :)

Thus I should make my testing scanner (and for personal enjoyment at home) all solid state with these, along with the PL450 and PL520 diodes, and worry about raw power in a second scanner, along with getting a set of galvos with a bigger mirror size so you can actually fit a multimode corrected beam onto them :p

Last edited:
Has anyone tried holography with these single modes yet?
Usually low current just above threshold gives best stability in diodes I have read about.

So best beam would be Azix acrylic + 65 to 160 ma? (threshold to typical)

Thanks!
Jeff

Last edited:

ixfd64

The 3.63 mm beam diameter seems a bit large for a single-mode 120 mW laser. On the other hand, the divergence is killer.

IsaacT

It is actually 3.85mm at the aperture. I just measured again using a pair of digital calipers. It doesn't appear to be a very big dot when you actually see how small it is.

BTW I dig your sig! +1

ixfd64

Thanks. xD

I know it might seem a bit lame to other people, but I couldn't think of anything better to put there. :p

Its a 3.8mm diode. The HL63133DG is 5.6mm, and rated 170mW.
I've got an offer on one (95 USD) and I'll look into it...

Considering DTR got about 2x rated power (120mW nominal, he got around 235), so maybe the 170mW one could go up to ~330mW? heheh.

edit: seems like opnext and oclaro are related? :thinking:

Last edited:
Hi all

I purchased 2 sets of DTR's single mode diode bundles and am looking at info on what current to set these diodes to.

I found the chart posted by Zathras - thanks, however I don't know how to interpret the results!

My guessing would be to try and keep the response as linear as possible (I'm building a laser projector for abstracts), so based on that, would 280-300mA be reasonable?

I also don't understand how current settings effect heat output, thermal stability and diode life, so any info on that would be great.

Thanks
Keith

Lots of power is not needed for abstracts. Even if it was, you wouldn't want the diode burning out in 10 hours, so run it at the rated current. Looks like something around 170mA?

Lots of power is not needed for abstracts. Even if it was, you wouldn't want the diode burning out in 10 hours, so run it at the rated current. Looks like something around 170mA?

Thanks Cyparagon. Might need a little more power than rated as I want to be scanning abstracts 360 degrees in a dome with projection mapped media.

I'll have to have a play I think. I might end up knife-edging a couple of these kits if I can keep the beam a nice shape.

Keith