Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

O-Like 50mW "Power Rock" green laser

REXAR

So I thought this review would make a good first post on this forum because I know a few people were curious about it. :p

October 29th: ordered
November 4th: shipped
November 14th: arrived
So, it only took 10 days to get the West Coast in the US! Very quick shipping, I didn't even choose the fast option! Very cool.

I found this laser in the mail yesterday which is interesting because many other members here said all o-like lasers require a signature. It came in this small box that was very well sealed.
P1020315-1.jpg

Inside is the laser, battery and charger and lots of bubble rap.

P1020317-1.jpg

There was a black and silver version of the host according to the pictures on the website, so I guess I got the black one. As you can see, the host is very nice looking.

P1020336-1.jpg

It somewhat resembles the Artic. It was alot smaller than I expected, but it feels sturdy and strong. There is a clicky button at the end for constant on/off.

P1020339-1.jpg

The host is supposed to be waterproof, but I 'm too scared to test that out :undecided:... After charging the 18650 battery for about 3 hours, I went outside (with my goggles of course) and tested it out.

P1020331-1.jpg

Woohoooooo! It was very bright! I don't have an LPM or anything, but I compared it with my 5mW green and it was a BIG difference. The beam is very impressive. Here are some more shots of the beam:
P1020324-1.jpg

P1020320-1.jpg

P1020319-1.jpg

Another cool thing about this laser is that it is focusable. I can turn the head so that the laser dot turns into an enormous flashlight or a tiny little spec.
P1020333-1.jpg

I haven't tried burning anything yet, but I easily popped a balloon when focused right. This laser seems to be very stable. The beam stays one single, nice dot always. However, the only annoying thing I have experienced is this ring around the dot. It is not that bright, but very noticeable. It bothers me. Overall, its a very nice laser. Its a big step up from my 5mW green. It is capable of having diffraction grating cap things screwed on the end of the laser, which is very neat. I will try to post some pictures of this soon. I wish I knew if this laser was really 50mW, but from all the things I have read here, it fits the description of a 50mW. Ask if you have any questions. Thanks! Hope you found my first review helpful.

Nice to see reviews of this laser, good work.

Though, if I may, reccomend you try measuring the input current (at the tailcap), do you know how to do that?

It would be an interesting thing to know if the power is known (though I can see that you don't have an LPM, doesn't matter).

A great review! I've been wondering about this laser for a while. Cheers!

+1, it looks like this is one isn't IR filtered from the photo with the safety goggles. That's not green light on the wall, seems like the camera picked up the IR though...anyway nice review.

duzy

Nice! I was abit hesitant buying these. Thanks to the review i went ahead and purchased 2 of these along with diffraction caps. =D

Oh and +1 to you. Cheers!

jimdt7

I think you seserve my +1.
Very nice review, keep up !

Jim

Mine arrived on the 15th Nov, I'm very pleased with it. Great review and great laser my friend. :)

Last edited: