Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

o-like 400mW green laser with pictures

Ofcourse people are interested!

I'm interested in co-funding a purchase of this myself, so post the damn picz already! :na:

Preferably a full review if possible. :thanks:

have had mine for about a week now. average 452mW, peak 485mW.

next day shipping from susie for me like always, beam is very tight, the focus ring is great and not loose at all. have not had any problems with this laser

shipped with an ultrafire 2800mAh battery - thanks for taking care of me!

will get some pics if people are still interested?

What Eudaimonium said!

i already got a 350mW+ green on the way but non the less im still interested in this laser to! might still even order it somewhere near the first quarter of 2011:yh:

btw did you get a case or something with it?

Definitely no shortage of interest for this laser. Really looking forward to seeing some night shots.

My laser finally made it to the states on friday the 10th in LA only to be missorted off to CINCINNATI instead of Seattle. (thanks DHL...tracking shows it STILL in CINCINNATI)

Would you believe that the batteries for it that were sent by boat across the ocean, made it here before the DHL air shipment???.... go figure!

DrSid

I finally got mine. It is new style focus, front piece rotates as a whole, no tool needed. Only single lens element is there, quite weak convex lens, rest is inside, and not moving.
Yeas .. the dot is nothing much, there is some halo. The beam is not straight. Yes .. but I'm otherwise it looks really well. The power seems to be there, it burns through CD case in 5 seconds (where my 200mW red in 10 seconds and 1.5W 445nm under one second).
Beam is pretty nice, and I can confirm it's a bit elliptical. Not sure if it is higher modes kicking in or something else. For sure it's not double dot.

Edit: yeah, it's modes .. I unscrewed the lens, and without lens you can see it changes modes a lot, few times per second from start. There is always many modes, with modes like TEM22 present, maybe some even more complex. Combination of TEM00 and TEM01 is the most strong, and it appears most of the time, which makes the dot look rectangular. The other modes are much less pronounced, and much less stable. Certainly I would call this multimode laser. It does no seem to have impact on divergence or beam, which at first glance looks great, also due large exit aperture.

I will do full review later, when I have time, I will also do some IR tests (using webcam without IR filter).

Last edited:
will also see if i can do a full review this weekend :) i absolutely love this laser!

DrSid

I played with the laser a bit .. I managed to improve dot a lot (just the hallo, there are still multi modes of course) and beam angle a bit. The module is not centered well inside, on the other hand the deepest concave beam element is on four screws and can be aligned as you wish.
When I removed the deepest element, I noticed there is something between it and the crystal itself .. some red-green looking glass. So when I put it all together, I tried my IR-enabled webcam .. and yeah ! This laser indeed is IR filtered. I can't tell how much effective the filter is in % of power, but the webcam sees nothing.

I like this host a lot....

400mW of green
or 1W of 445 ?????

I already have a 300-400mW custom 445. And a 150mW green.

I wonder how well o-like got the beam profile on the 445.

DrSid

445 calls for homebuild. So I would go for green. I did actually :) Loving it after week.

I played with the laser a bit .. I managed to improve dot a lot (just the hallo, there are still multi modes of course) and beam angle a bit. The module is not centered well inside, on the other hand the deepest concave beam element is on four screws and can be aligned as you wish.
When I removed the deepest element, I noticed there is something between it and the crystal itself .. some red-green looking glass. So when I put it all together, I tried my IR-enabled webcam .. and yeah ! This laser indeed is IR filtered. I can't tell how much effective the filter is in % of power, but the webcam sees nothing.

This is not IR filtered. I put my goggles in front of the laser to block out all of the green and my LPM sees 130mW of power (IR).

DrSid

There clearly is some kind of IR filtering. I tried to test it with the glasses, and there really is some IR. But there is much less of it compared to my other green lasers. Pity I can't use LPM.

Last edited:

jakeGT

How about some gosh darn pictures???? I want this laser and I want to see the beammmmmm!!!

I received this O-Like laser a few weeks ago. Love it, but the on/off button on the tailcap just sustained failure. It is depressed (laser off) and will not come back up. Just a heads up, and I am pinging Suzie to see if this is something common and if it can be fixed or replaced.

Exerd

It's too bad that a company cannot get a green laser done right at a good price with a moderate output. There is clearly a high demand for that great color lying smack dab in the center of the visible spectrum.

Was anyone aware of the Wicked Laser Spyder in 532nm that was available after the Arctic release?

As I remember it, shortly after the S3 Arctic launched and began shipping, WL placed the spyders in green on their site for a greatly reduced cost. I believe under $300 it was, and they were listed at up to 500mw output. Within a couple of weeks, they were removed. I can expect that they sold off their remaining high-outputting greens, unfortunately without continuing to offer them at a good price.

Somebody has got to nail a green laser sometime soon, with stability and high output, at a good price. I would have expected them to develope much sooner than they have out there. We have seen prices fall on about everything out there over the years, but the greens are staying somewhat out of reach, price-wise, for a high outputting handheld with tight difference. I suppose each one requires too much individual tuning at this point for mass runs with the larger crystal size needed for high outputs. I think we are clearly seeing what happens when that precise tuning is not devoted to mass runs of greens; they end up with unstable beam performance and without the expected power being there.

DrSid, what do you mean exactly by the word "compaired", next to some of your lasers? Thanks

Sent from Droid X

Was anyone aware of the Wicked Laser Spyder in 532nm that was available after the Arctic release?

As I remember it, shortly after the S3 Arctic launched and began shipping, WL placed the spyders in green on their site for a greatly reduced cost. I believe under $300 it was, and they were listed at up to 500mw output. Within a couple of weeks, they were removed. I can expect that they sold off their remaining high-outputting greens, unfortunately without continuing to offer them at a good price.

The 500mW 532nm Spyder IIIs were $1000, the 300mW were like $600 and the 200mW were $300, I believe. I know the 500mW were $1000. sandidgepatrick ordered one, but I don't know if he cancelled or what.

Somebody has got to nail a green laser sometime soon, with stability and high output, at a good price. I would have expected them to develope much sooner than they have out there. We have seen prices fall on about everything out there over the years, but the greens are staying somewhat out of reach, price-wise, for a high outputting handheld with tight difference. I suppose each one requires too much individual tuning at this point for mass runs with the larger crystal size needed for high outputs. I think we are clearly seeing what happens when that precise tuning is not devoted to mass runs of greens; they end up with unstable beam performance and without the expected power being there.

It comes down to labor. Since the greens are a multi-stage DPSS process, all those parts introduce more opportunities for failure, and for quality control problems in their placement and assembly.

Greens will never be "bomb-proof" until direct inject single stage green diodes are perfected.

Driver ---> Diode ---> Lens

Vs.

Driver ---> Diode ---> Nd:YVO4 Crystal ---> KTP Crystal ---> IR Filter (if any) ---> Lens

Otherwise, you have to pay through the nose for better labor (even at Chinese wages), or you use the same cheaper labor, but have a stringent QC process and a high rejection rate, either of which raises the price substantially.