Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

o-ilke

This guy is giving you valuable info. I ship to Deutschland very often and it takes from FL about a week. It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks from China to Deutschland. How I know? Many geek friends in Germany :beer: This of course apply if your choice was cheaper shipping option from o-like. and that's the case.

Fremo

Well lets see ;D

like i said i had 2 lasers before...10 and 12 days :D

Yup my laser from olike took 14 day from china to arizona u.s.a.with the 8 dollar option:beer:

Kauai

I ordered a laser from O-like on June 7th and received it today (June 16). I opted for regular shipping as I was in no hurry.

I'm very pleased with their response time. I was thinking it may take a month or so.

I'm in Hawaii so maybe it got here quicker because Hawaii is 2300 miles closer to Asia than the mainland.

Kauai

I got my batteries charged up and fired up the laser I received several hours ago and I am completely underwhelmed. It's supposed to be 200Mw but I doubt that it's 5.

It sounds like a return is a real ordeal and insurance is compulsory. I can now see that if I'm going to mess with lasers I'm going to have to invest in a device to measure their power output.

I was all set to give O-like 5 stars based on quick delivery but now I'm going to have to wait until I see what kind of power this pitiful thing is delivering.

The plot thickens....

Kauai

1 x 808nm 220mW laser torch /adjustable/burning (OL808-200)

i had ordered from o-like before there shipping was not that fast to say the least,,from date the order was placed to the date i had the order it took 38 days and i live right outside chicago usa ,,,,and as far as a great laser power meter i would check out the laserbee 2.5watt usb ,,its a great meter and it wont break the bank and Jerry ships very fast and super easy to set up and use ,,,,always great to know if your getting the power of your lasers that you paid for

1 x 808nm 220mW laser torch /adjustable/burning (OL808-200)

I just want to check... you are aware that the laser is infrared?

You should not be able to see much if anything, except the dot where the laser beam terminates. Most people can't really see above 700nm... yours is 808nm.

In order to burn with an IR laser you would still need to focus it though, and this impossible to do safely without IR blocking goggles.

Unfocused, the most you might experience from an IR laser is some warmth, even that is not very likely.

Please be very very careful with it. Get some IR blocking goggles asap if you don't already have a pair.

As InfinitusEquitas said, the 808nm 220mW laser torch /adjustable/burning is infrared.

Seeing it as a 5mw means that you are viewing a 200mw laser without goggles, and this is something very dangerous.

Buy goggles at once!

I have exactly that lasar and it matches the description of looking like a 5mw. I measured my unit with the laserbee 2.5watt usb LPM I own, and I can report that my unit outputs 204mw (peak), which is onspec. I also managed to light matches and pop balloons with the laser well focused.

As I said before, viewing it without goggles is dangerous. I did it for a few seconds, and that made me feel sick and my vision got blurred for a few seconds (not permanent), so since than, I never use it without my goggles.

While wearing goggles you can't see anything of the dot obviously, but you can view it via digital camera. It looks kind of pink.

Kauai

Yes, I am aware that the 'torch' is infra-red. A lack of number of posts must immediately imply ignorance. Please don't be put off by that remark as it means nothing but what it says. I truly appreciate your message as from the overall tone of it I'm sure your intentions are good and you're just trying to be helpful. But the reason I purposely didn't originally post the descriptive information was to avoid having to engage in this particular discussion.

And yes, you are correct, the beam is quite invisible to the naked eye. However, my purpose is not to view it with the naked eye. This was simply a test order, kind of like sticking my toe in the water to see how cold it is before I jump in. If it's too cold I may not jump in. Ultimately I will be ordering a high wattage handheld. Right now the PL-C host from Rayfoss at 3W catches my eye. But I'm beginning to think a group order would be the safest way to go as I saw where the person who put in one of the orders and received them also checked their power output.

Not having a laser power meter, I thought how am I going to test the power of this "torch"? As I was preparing my dinner I thought "I wonder if it will melt a hole in a stick of butter?" Nope. Wouldn't do it. Then I thought maybe it's dissipating the heat too quickly so I took my sharpest paring knife and sliced as thin a sliver of butter as I could and directed this 220mw 'torch' at it. Not a hint of any melting action.

I went back to the forum, with my dinner, and found where a crude method using an infra-red thermometer had been used with uncertain success. I tried that and it did register around a 13 degree rise in surface temperature (from off to on) but the results are basically meaningless. My IR thermometer is a good quality one that I bought to find overheated electronic components. No way I would ever shine the laser directly into it trying to measure the laser's output. I don't know if that would fry it or not but I'm not going to find out.

As for focus, the 808nm is easily focused. I have a Sony camera with "Nightvision". And I keep a 52mm B&W Schneider UV/IR blocking lens between my eye and the beam. The other eye I kept closed.

I have sent Laserbee a message asking for ordering information for his 2.5 watt USB LPM so that I will be a more informed consumer in future purchases. But that won't test a 3W...hmmm...why can't things be easy? And cheap? And good?

Thank you again for taking the time to express your concern and share some knowledge. I never quite know when I'll find my head stuck up some hole where the sun don't shine.

Much aloha

Ash

A 200mW laser (unfocused) will not melt butter.
A focused 200mW laser will easily light a match or cut electrical tape, you should try that.
I think you are mistaken about the power and your expectations of what the laser can do. :)

ned

i orderd my 400mw green laser on may 25th and it still aint arrived, i wont be ordering nothing in the future from o-like

ARG

i orderd my 400mw green laser on may 25th and it still aint arrived, i wont be ordering nothing in the future from o-like

You think that's bad? I ordered a few green and red laser modules on April 25th, still hasn't arrived. It shipped on April 28th no less, almost been two months since it shipped and still have seen nothing of it.