Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Now Completed Optically Corrected P73 HH Design

Re: Optically Corrected P73 HH Design -1W and NO LINE

Well thought out and fun to follow your progress. :beer:

Build Pics #6

Well thought out and fun to follow your progress. :beer:

Thanx Mr.Rad...Things should ALWAYS remain fun...well.... most things !!

Anyway...a few more pics of the build....the wiring layout. Even on the relatively straight forward build....there are 1000 details to nail down...AND..."The Job's NOT done...until the wiring is thru" ...haha...

The main body is ground and the bore thru at the backside of the LiPo compartment is insulated with a Nylon T-sleeve and bolt. This isolates the + feed from the main body. You will also see a brass bolt that is located in this back-side cut out area for connecting the driver to ground.

Details...Details !!!

Next step is to mount the LD and Optics.

Oh...and Terrawatt is supervising the build ...as usual.

CDBEAM=======>:wave:

Attachments

• Dragon's Head Ortho View  wiring connection points #1.jpg
    Dragon's Head Ortho View wiring connection points #1.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Dragon's Head Ortho View wiring connection Points #2.jpg
    Dragon's Head Ortho View wiring connection Points #2.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Dragon's Head  Back End View wiring connections.jpg
    Dragon's Head Back End View wiring connections.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 214
  • Wire Haired Fox Terrier's RULE !!.jpg
    Wire Haired Fox Terrier's RULE !!.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

A big YES...IIRC....not easy to do !!! A single mode fibre with 2um is what would be needed to minimize the divergence !!!!! Double Yikes !!!

I can see some very fine threads on a multi-axis translation stage, like the threads on the
tiny stepper motor inside the GGW-H20L or maybe even finer. Mount the fiber to that
temporarily. Then smack down a dab of some type of glue that doesn't change size as it
sets and back everything out. Not exactly rocket science, but with the right tools I would
elect that over brain surgery any day of the week :thinking:

ru124t

Ok well, the Newfie way for this corrective optics would be this. We would build the laser as normal and then realize we should have used corrective optics. We would then proceed to swear a lot and dance around like early man when he discovered fire, only not as happy as him, and drink multiple beer. As we drank more we started to think on how we could correct the optics. We remembered our last trip to the optometrist. He put this big rig with corrective lens in front of our large head. All of a sudden we could see again! Using this logic, and many beer , we proceed to break in and steal , errr borrow said device from our friendly doctor. We take a hacksaw and cut it in half. Using multiple rolls of duct tape , we attach it to the laser ! We then give it an " Eye Exam " till the dot is perfect and duct tape all optics in the required position so they cant be changed! Granted your way is cleaner , neater , smarter and wont land you in jail for 10 years or so, but just think of the contraptions we could build if we worked together! Bonus, I would still have the other half in case another corrective lens was required. The only bad part is you usually wake up the next day with a vicious hangover and the cops banging on your door, or looking at some crude looking contraption that actually works. ( Usually its the cops unfortunately ) LOL I remember the time we used the fan motor from a Xerox copy machine to make a turbo for the old pickup truck but that is a story for another time.I guess you could say, we most definitely think outside the cylinder here in Newfoundland. You Americans have your rednecks and such , but Newfoundland is North Americas oldest colony and we have simply been doing it before you were born literally! LOL We invented redneck engineering lol ! Well gotta go , got more beer to drink , and thoughts to think , but I will keep an eye on you fancy engineer fellows and add any Newfie thoughts to your build as required! I promise you wont have to break any laws!

Last edited:

I can see some very fine threads on a multi-axis translation stage, like the threads on the
tiny stepper motor inside the GGW-H20L or maybe even finer. Mount the fiber to that
temporarily. Then smack down a dab of some type of glue that doesn't change size as it
sets and back everything out. Not exactly rocket science, but with the right tools I would
elect that over brain surgery any day of the week :thinking:

Not only does one have to be concerned about the X/Y location, I believe another concern is the pitch/yaw of the beam axis as it propagates into the fibre termination plane. SOoooo....we have four (4) degrees of movement which demand ultra precise translation !!!

Such a optical translation cage = Big Bucks !!! Yikes...is there anyone out there who really knows about this stuff ???????? !!!!!!!I am just an " Wanna be Engineer "

And...I really do not know how to respond to ru124t " Newfie" post ???????:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: Kinda takes it up a notch for the " Great White North " ?????? Mmmmm....Well founded intentions ????

CDBEAM=======>

Last edited:
Build Pics #7

Just a few more build pics...Things are moving forward...but going slow !

Switched back to Acrylic for the Cylinderical Lens Holder...mainly for looks !!

You can also see a Spatial Filter placed in front of the Plano Convex C-Lens.
This is simply a mask made with 1/4" black Acrylic plastic. The mask looks like a tombstone with a small slot. It greatly reduces the upper and lower, very faint, vertical wings. Gets rid of much of the wings. Small power loss of approx. 12 mW.

Also machined a 2" Acrylic tube into a Semi-circular section for the cover/top. This was a pain and I ended up slicing it down the middle with a band saw. Lots of sanding to get it just right !!

See also the most recent build drawing....P73 HH UTC 7L....a few minor revisions.

Thanx for watching !!

CDBEAM=======>:beer::beer:

Attachments

• Prep to cut the Acrylic.JPG
    Prep to cut the Acrylic.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Side View DH with Acrylic Cover.JPG
    Side View DH with Acrylic Cover.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Ortho View DH with Acylic Cover.JPG
    Ortho View DH with Acylic Cover.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DH with Acrylic Lens Holder 2.JPG
    DH with Acrylic Lens Holder 2.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 281
  • DH with Acrtl Lens Holder 1.JPG
    DH with Acrtl Lens Holder 1.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Ortho View with cover off.JPG
    Ortho View with cover off.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 204
  • P73HH UTC 7L.JPG
    P73HH UTC 7L.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Sweeeet! Looks awesome :cool:
Just curious, how much did the lens set cost you?

Sweeeet! Looks awesome :cool:
Just curious, how much did the lens set cost you?

About 50 Bucks. Small little things...hard to hold on to !!....but good size for a HH build !! CDB

Thats not bad at all.
Man, that acrylic window is frickin SWEET! can't get over it!

The spatial filter works the best if it is at or just after a focal point, according to platers.

CS...Thanx for the comment...I also happen to think that the Acrylic Canopy looks very good...A window showing the light engine and optics. See the additional pic...better resolution !! This concept is meant to showcase the internal workings....and IMNSHO....also looks excellent...but that's me...others may think it looks like shite !! Oh Well !!!

Also...because the Cylinderical lens holder is Acrylic...the small amount of off-axis light from the LD really makes the entire holder glow red..." Lite'em Up " is the end result !!

LS....What to say ????? Yes....Planters is an acknowledged Optics Guru....here...and at PL !!!!!!!!! whom I respect greatly....and follow his work with a passion....but...

The EFL for the collimation lens is 2mm from the convex surface of the lens.
That distance is located somewhere within the collimation lens brass retaining barrel...mmmmm ?????? Well....that's not gonna work !!!!!!!

Unless we set up an additional set of lenses... as Planters does...Down Beam... and place the Spatial mask at the focal point generated between those two lenses....that is the only other option. For the projector application....with a much greater amount of space....there it can achieve optimal results for a spatial mask !!!! For the HH format...we just do not have the room !!!

Practically speaking....the Spatial mask can either be located between the collimation lens brass barrel end and the Cylinderical lens Acrylic mount....OR
on the other side of the Acrylic Lens Holder.

That's all ya got ta choose from !!! Again...it is a less than perfect world....But...the use of Cylinderical lens adaptive optics in the Dragon's Head sure beats the Hell outa what we had B4 !!!

Did some tests to verify...and the current location for the Spatial mask and it is optimal. Period. Planters and Theory aside...That's the way it is !!;);) :D:D

CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

• DH Acrylic Canopy 1.jpg
    DH Acrylic Canopy 1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Beam Truth 1.jpg
    Beam Truth 1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Garoq

Fantastic work! Thanks for sharing! :beer:

Fantastic work! Thanks for sharing! :beer:

THANX !!!! VERY,Very close now !!! All is coming together perfect !! Just some minor details !!! And of course...some last minute changes/improvements !!! There ALWAYS are !!!

This build has been a hoot !!!! Great fun.....and some frustration !!!!!

Lite'em Up CDBEAM=======>

Gentlemen,

The Dragon's Head is DONE. Stick a fork in it !! See the last series of Build Pics. It has been a very enjoyable build !!! This particular unit uses the Mitsu P73 638nm Red for the LD. Before the application of the Cylinderical lenses....This LD displayed a VERY distinct line... visible....even at 10' (3M) away.

After the use of Cylindericals... we obtain a greatly improved farfield geometry ...not quite a spot....more like a round cornered rectangle...almost a square...but not quite....with very low divergence and good beam geometry !!!!! In any case...this design delivers.....and achieves a very good beam quality with affordable optics.

The design could be used with ANY LD which would benefit from passing the beam thru Cylinderical lenses or Anamorphic prisms to greatly reduce beam astigmatism ( Line like ). Depending on your pursuit of perfection, the new high power 520 Green or 445 Blue MAY find a use for this concept. The Dragon's Head design is a working model of ONE way to provide an Adaptive Optics ready platform within the framework of a HandHeld unit.

The outcome of this build has been beyond my expectations. The beam geometry, the unit size, and the appearance are all very much to my liking !!! I cannot see how it would be possible to deliver a smaller package....with the LiPo cell's used and optics required....with the amount of Heat sink provided and...within the restraints of a reasonable cost....IMNSHO....this is IT !!

The concept of displaying the internal working components is a far departure from what we are used to seeing. I imagine that either one likes it....or thinks it looks bad ??? To each his own. IMNSHO... I think the clear Acrylic canopy showing the internals looks excellent !!! This concept is called "skeletonized " in the world a watches...and though we are not displaying the internals of a 41 jewel mechanical movement....we are displaying technology that is inspiring to us !! The concept transfers and applies to our most admired possessions !!! There are other options vs. a clear Acrylic Canopy showing the working components. An Aluminum tube could be used instead !! But....not for me !! I like this look !!!! I especially enjoy the accidental benefit of the Acrylic lens holder lighting up due to the edge lighting action....looks like a red hot glowing slab...as viewed thru the Acrylic canopy !!

As far as the use of adaptive/corrective optics in general....we have the SAME components available to us that the Projector group has....and why not use them !!! They are reasonably priced...they work....And they can be modified to fit our HH format. These optics can provide greatly improved beam shape....and some of the most desirable LD's really need to be corrected and brought under control.

As far as the Dragon's Head finish...the entire unit could be anodized !! ...or, the surfaces could be very highly polished. I prefer the satin finish look. To me...it is especially good for not showing finger prints ! I am satisfied with the current edition...but I would consider an anodized version !!

As far as my use of the toggle SPST as the I/O switch...this is also a deliberate choice. It provides a more " Steam Punk" look...which I like. A mini momentary push button could be employed.... or finger print recognition technology (haha)... Just boils down to personal preferences ... and what will fit into a rather small space !!

The final output is 926mW driven at 1250mA current.

SOooo...there you have it !! I hope you enjoyed the series of build pics as much as I enjoyed the project. My desire is to share with you my travels and I hope this build inspires a few of you to push our hobby to new levels of optical possibilities !!!

The P-73 gets a pair of Glasses !!! I will try to get better beam shots !!!

Lite'em UP CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

• Top View No Internals Good 1.JPG
    Top View No Internals Good 1.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Ortho View Complete Off Good 2.jpg
    Ortho View Complete Off Good 2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Glowing Optics 3.JPG
    Glowing Optics 3.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Glowing Optics 1 Good 4.JPG
    Glowing Optics 1 Good 4.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Internals Very Close Up Good 5.JPG
    Internals Very Close Up Good 5.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Internal Wiring Good 6.JPG
    Internal Wiring Good 6.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Beamshot 1 Good 7.JPG
    Beamshot 1 Good 7.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Farfield  at 12 feet Good 8.JPG
    Farfield at 12 feet Good 8.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

DTR

Great work. Just under 1W and a great spot size to boot. You can't ask for more.:beer:

Wow, I do love the red! Very nice, and +rep. :drool: Especially without a rock band formed by Paul
McCartney in 1971.