Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nova Atlantis 445nm

Well I see that Nova is taking pre-orders for their new 445nm Laser:

Price: USD187.00 (6-8 weeks out yet) Free shipping;

Atlantis-1 Portable High Powered Laser Specifications
Average Output Power <1W
Wavelength 445nm (blue)
Dimensions

23mm diameter x 199mm length
Beam Divergence <1.5 mRad
Beam Diameter <2.0 mm
Battery Power Supply 2 x 3.0V CR123 Batteries (primary lithium or Lithium Ion Rechargeable)
Battery Life ~1 hour
Expected Unit Lifetime 3000-5000 hours
Recommended Duty Cycle TBD
Operation Voltage 6.0V
Average Current <1A
Operation Mode CW (Continuous Wave)
Transverse Mode Near TEM00, elliptical
Laser Diode 445nm <1W
Cooling Method Radiant
Operating Temperature 10-35 degrees C
Warranty 3 months

Actually saying you're taking pre-orders seems much more professional, but that host just can't compete with the spyder III!

True. I'm still hoping everything goes well with WL. Going just off of looks and the spec sheet, WL's laser appears to be better in my opinion. Still, good to see the competition getting some 445's out :D

The Atlantis is also a tiny bit cheaper, but I'd like to point out that it doesn't come with safety goggles. You can either buy a pair from nova for +$40 or send them proof of ownership.

Last edited:
The price is actually $227, unless you own ANSI/CE certified goggles and email Nova proof of ownership, you have to buy a pair with the Atlantis, but it's still cheaper than the Spyder III, and these goggles are definitely certified.

I like Nova's honesty better, WL "specs" look better? let's see what they really turn out though.

Nova says: "Transverse Mode Near TEM00, elliptical" AND I bet that is what turns out to be true with WL too.

Yeah, 40$ for certified goggles is a deal!!! Is the spyder III a momentary on/off too, or is it a switch?
And that's exactly what I was thinkin electron!

The price is actually $227, unless you own ANSI/CE certified goggles and email Nova proof of ownership, you have to buy a pair with the Atlantis, but it's still cheaper than the Spyder III, and these goggles are definitely certified.
OK, wouldn't be a problem for me, I have plenty of those; so I'll get the $187.00 price.

My only wish was for a different host, such as the Endeavor. Not too thrilled with the host they chose; but it's good to see a VERY reputable company like Nova jump on the 445nm bandwagon.

Oh good I like clicky switches much better! Although I think the quality of the nova 445 will be better.

I like Nova's honesty better, WL "specs" look better? let's see what they really turn out though.

Nova says: "Transverse Mode Near TEM00, elliptical" AND I bet that is what turns out to be true with WL too.

You're probably right there on your second point.

As for the specs, WL's say it will have lower divergence, a continuous DC, and a clicky switch - all of which does seem better, but... like you pointed out that will most likely not be the case. At any rate, I still believe WL's specs to APPEAR better and I like the host more. Only time will tell which ends up being nicer though.

At least the Nova comes in a respectable host.

Yes, the Spyder looks 'awesome', but frankly, looks more like a toy lightsabre than anything else. It just has a giant 'wave me around like a lightsabre' sign hanging off it. Whereas the Atlantis looks, feels and is kitted out like a high powered laser should.

Then there's the inherent risk with tail switches- not being able to switch them off easily with one hand, because you need to move your hand around to the tail switch.

Even if the Atlantis cost much more, I'd still go for the Atlantis. It's actually a respectable high power laser, not some high powered laser shoved in a lightsabre skin. Not to mention the Atlantis comes with a keylock, interlock, LED and aperture shutter.

Just my two cents.

But that's all nonsense from me, I suppose, because I can't afford either of them.

I still think sticking with DIY is the best option for now.. At least until someone confirms eaither WL or Nova 445 is a good laser.

I don't think there'll be any problems with Nova, they've always been a reputable company, it's going to be a test for WL, to see if they can really stand the test.

Grix

I don't like the Spyder 3 host, it's too large and bling-ish. Nova is better.

Also this should be in the 445 section