Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

noob needs help

ny emt

just ordered an ir 3w diode, here is the ebay add...

You are bidding on a 3 WATT 808nm IR BURNING LASER DIODE w a FAC lens in a nifty GOLD PLATED To3 MOUNTING! The diode can be collimated and focused to a BURNING LASER BEAM as shown! There are countless uses for a small compact HIGH IR laser, such as DPSS PUMPING IR illuminator sources, rapid prototyping, thermal PCB transfers, micro soldering, thermal platsetters, chip anieling, NDT equipment and more!

The diodes require around 3A at 2.2V yet produces enough power to VERY easily light a cigarette! The diode operates near 808nm and was originally intended to be used in DPSS LASER SYSTEMS. New cost of these LASER DIODES is in excess of $1000.00 EACH in small quantities! NOTE: PIN OUT for the module will be supplied.

In picture 1 my camera sees the laser as purplish pink, as you can see there are no dead zones in the emitter

can someone send me a link to a schematic to make this work to full capacity? im looking to turn this into a laser cigar lighter in order to leave no taste so distance is not a problem just a few inches

wouldnt a butane torch not leave a taste? your playing with IR which is very damaging to the eyes...

ny emt

it leaves a butane taste, any fire does. its for a box of $200 a piece cuban cigars so really trying

Reactions: ARG
D

Deleted member 8382

If you really want to risk yourself like that go on, but you ARE going to get damage from doing that. What's the problem with it? 2.2V at 3A? get a psu!

You were not expecting to make a portable unit I guess right?

Yours,
Albert

HIMNL9

^ judging from the description, one of Chris units .....

EDIT: found ..... :)

If you want to use a similar system safely, you need to enclose the diode and something like a dispersion chamber in a container (preferably with the diode "shooting" from top to bottom), and made a hole for the cigar, with the center in the focus of the diode ..... otherwise it's really too dangerous, 3W with a FAC can damage your eyes also not focused, at the short distance you need for light the cigar (and i mean PERMANENT damage :p)

Last edited:

Things

3W IR won't just instantly blind you, I'll also cause some severe burns to skin!

diachi

3W IR won't just instantly blind you, I'll also cause some severe burns to skin!

No it won't, not at 808nm. Couldn't even feel 1W focused onto my skin, even on freckles. Why do you think it's used for hair removal? The hair absorbs it and burns away, the skin doesn't absorb it at all, it would take more than 3W to cause burns to the skin.

However, the retinas are a whole different kettle of fish. They will be INSTANTLY burned, far beyond repair. Permanant sight loss FOR LIFE.

Jaseth

A jet flame butane lighter leaves no taste at all. I have smoked a wide range of cigars for about 3 years now and a simple Z-plus insert for my Zippo lighter allows me to light any cigar perfectly every time with no effect on the taste.
You can also use cedar wood mathches to light your cigars - just let the match burn for a few seconds before you light the cigar with it.

Unless you have the taste and smell sense of a sniffer dog or something, there is no way you will even remotely pick up the taste of any of these types of lighting your cigar. A laser is a highly unadvisable way to light a cigar as it will give an uneven burn and be both expensive and dangerous.

Seb

I can picture it. A bunch of rich old men sitting around with IR goggles lighting their cuban cigars with a giant labby.