Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Noob looking into “less lethal” laser options any help?

Rustyshakleford

Hey looking for less lethal options I’m not a well diy guy looking for more of a direct buy
Looking for a dazler or something similar anyone have any suggestions ?
thanks in advance great site thanks

rustysbakleford WANGO!

This has been covered before many times but in the interest of protecting our hobby I will answer, note I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise, just my opinion but I think a valid one.

The problem with a dazzler is causing permanent damage rather than simply stunning an attacker.

But what if someone means to kill me, surely doing damage would be justified....YES, everyone has the right to defend their life so get a gun, don't take a flashlight to a knife fight.

Also there's a stigma with maiming people intentionally, it would be much better to carry a bright LED flashlight and a can of pepper spray than a laser with the intent to walk the fine and undefined line between temporary visual incapacitation and permanent visual disability.

But what if I can't get a gun or a carry permit......vote to change your local laws, it's your God given right to defend yourself and your Constitutional right to carry a gun ( In the USA ).

You can also look into a tazer, not a toy pocket shocker that will get you walking funny with a busted pocket shocker shoved up your ass but a real tazer.

Bright flashlight, pepper spray, tazer, an asp or collapsible baton if you are able to utilize it......this is what you need to think about if you can't or won't carry a gun, not a blinding laser, it's an old reference but I will use it again......it's like keeping a super soaker full of battery acid by your door......could you defend yourself with it.....Yes, would you wish you had not......Yes

But how is a blind man going to point me out.....stop it, cameras are everywhere.

I you may notice I mentioned a knife fight.....while knife fighting is a bad bad idea you can always carry a knife as a last ditch " utility item " and you would do better in court saying you were forced to slash at someone with a knife which they would be more likely recover from than a maiming with a laser or acid.

Best is to avoid trouble and failing that use all that you can to your advantage, element of surprise, knowledge of tactics, reasonable and acceptable force multipliers....... be sneaky if you need to, but not stupid, blinding with a laser is asking for trouble and remember people lie, someone only dazzled can complain of disability and you could easily be found liable with the stigma associated.

Last edited:
Yep, be careful, people lie a lot when they want something to happen they otherwise cannot influence or change and it is getting worse, I see more and more of this behavior, multiplied several fold over the last few years. Dazzlers are normally only sold to law enforcement, that I know of, and they require training. If someone uses a high power dazzler too close to the assailant, they can be blinded for life, or partially so. If it is a threat to your life, I choose to defend yourself, but choosing that kind of defense would only be in the most extreme of circumstances.

Rustyshakleford

I own a Guns , Cary a flashlight with strobe and knife my and or mace on my every day , the problem isn’t this 1on1 I’m worried. about it’s the mobs of peoble recently cops HAVNT even been comming to calls on Certain calls for fear of being over run them selfs we all know these are tough times , I truly do not want to ever have to use lethal force ever unless I absolutely have to save my life or family or friend from imeddiate death .
I live in California .
”yes I’m hoping to move out of here soon “ how soon it depends on my spine surgeries right now .

which yes, I know the laws are bad in California and the CCW very hard to get unless you have a stalker or other similar threat after you or are in law enforcement .
i do not wish to hurt anyone. looking to add another tool to my belt .
I’ve been jumped twice In my life . the first time I thought it was 3 on 1 would never happen again because it was a random gangsters and I was in the wrong street Apparently and got caught alone but I didn’t get messed up that bad the 1 st time
the 2nd time I was jumped was the time I didn’t think it would ever happen but it did ,I literally was stomped by punks literal punk rockers with steel toe boots while I layed unconscious for 40-60 seconds as the security footage showed as they stomped by head and face and back in
ive fully recovered but my spine and back are still in massive amounts of pain and need surgery lots of it but I never want to have to fight against 6 drunks against 1 “me“ . I still do not belive If it we’re not for my friend, who happened to be driving don’t the street that very time in his car .
(without knowing it was me By the way) untill he got me in his car and wiped the blood of my face with the t shirt in his back guess it was fate ?but if he hadn’t have been driving down that street and seen 6 people stomping a person on the ground I wouldn’t be alive today .

my friend is an marine Who has sense passed on ,
him with his car and his dazler or daser he had on him , Blinding them all and giving him time to get me in his car ,
if he would donthat to a stranger and take a stranger to a emergency room there’s still good in the world we can be all assured . RIP
JIMMY T
AS FAR AS FOR
TASERS some times tasers don’t work on people ,just like mace dosnt work on all people , don’t hit them right then they cops even admit they have to use deadly force we know in the situation I was in that night , and if I had my gun on my I could be in jail right now and not going through spine surgeries still .
im not looking for a debate I’m looking for a website that sells tools that work of course I dont want to blind anyone for life my dad is blind in one eye but theae Tools might same lives one day perhaps mine or perhaps someone else’s in a similar situation than mine or worse than mine and mine was pretty bad .
just looking tho
i understand why some would not want to help thank you anyways

With that kind of experience, screw them, dazzle them. See if JetLasers.org will sell one to you. If they are thugs, they take chances threatening people, but try not to permanently harm anyone or be identified. Problem is, if a thug is rushing you, they might get too much light. Strange how PC and lawyer afraid we have become, we shouldn't be so concerned about the welfare of an assailant.

Last edited:
the JETLASERS Dazzlers are 'for sale'
I had one of the first --now redone and different.
by simply adding a lens any laser with low power makes an effective 'dazzler' the 'dot needs to be the size of a basketball at about 6 to 10 feet. the power then is much lower/safer. the 3$ 532 pointers are good for this..BUT it its best and smart to just walk away you NEVER know who has a gun these days and i would not surprize to read about someone w/ a laser being killed over something like this--especailly now.

the JETLASERS Dazzlers are 'for sale'
here
starting at $250 plus iirc $38 usd to ship express

the ones that are used at airports add some zeros.
I was told that JL sells a lot of these..

Yes, if a thug had a gun with little regard for another life, and someone dazzled them they would probably get pretty miffed, if they could see you to shoot, or close enough not to miss, plunk, you've become a target for lethal force. On the other hand if you were already a target, a dazzler may allow you to escape..

If, if, if..... one thing for sure though, there are no if's after you are dead.

kecked

Get a microwave oven generator and make your own non lethal thermal unit. Ops sorry I picked the wrong frequency and cooked you.
Your best defense it sounds like to me is to move. If I got jacked twice I’d be gone. Sorry that happened to you.

A very bright EDC flashlight will do the job just fine, especially on strobe mode.
Lasers have come under scrutiny because of all the incidents with people using them to harass helicopter and airplane pilots, so be careful about using them in this kind of situation.

Anthony P

Someone once asked my first martial arts instructor what to do if someone pulled a gun. His response was, "Ask him what he wants, then give it to him."