Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[noob] Is this legit? [/noob]

rhd

gmoney21o:

The glasses for IR are also the most expensive - probably largely because of supply and demand (not as many people want portable IR lasers, so less demand for inexpensive glasses?) I haven't seen IR glasses for under $50.

For the same $ you'd spend on an IR laser pointer, you could purchase a green 532nm laser with a visible beam, that would be 100x more fun to use (and interesting to other people), with the side effect of being safer for everyone.

You obviously have a hard time reading, and for that I'm sorry. You were right on one part, and one part only. I did say I wanted a laser with burning capabilities. I also CLEARLY said it wasn't going to be pointed anywhere near peoples eyes. I just want one with a beam that isn't very visible. Seriously, why do people feel the need to be so arrogant and cocky when others ask for help/advice? You're no better than anyone else, your lack of reading ability proves that.

Dude, Just by "burning something" you can shot a reflection into your eye or even someones 200 feet away, you can hurt people with out pointing it Directly at them.

I don't think you really understand the dangers. I can read just fine and my points are valid.

You don't have to point it at people to hurt them. This is a lot more dangerous than you think it is...

And you will NOT see the beam at all. You wont even be able to see where it is reflection to. Just by burning something you can reflect a shot and it only takes a fraction of a second to have permanent damage. You will fry your eyes or someone else's, faster than you can Blink your eye. This is no Joke. And with IR you wont even Blink, running the risk of even more damage.

Everything I told you is still true, If you are burning something, you will ruin your eyes or someone else's (unless Everyone Around you with in 200 feet are wearing the Right Goggles for Protection) and you wont have to aim it at them. A laser can reflect off many surfaces sending the beam many places and all you have to do is keep it in 1 spot burning something and as it burns it will shot reflections all over the place.

Even the most experienced laser users Don't like IR very much because of How Dangerous it is.

You are really taking what we are telling you Way to lightly. This is very serious.

We are Not Bashing you, we are trying to seriously protect you. You really should not take our advice lightly.... Lasers Are Not Toys anymore, You will really regret it for the rest of your life if you ruin your eye sight or someone else's. You wont get to says OOPS! It will change Your whole life and the OOPS wont help after the fact... People don't understand how valuable something is until they Loose it.... Please Liston to what people are telling you.....

It is very easy to Hurt your eyes, Even if your not pointing it into your eyes. Just 1 stray reflection, and with lasers "Almost" everything reflects the beam. Like i said earlier even just burning things. I've had reflections burning Wood, just normal wood! I think it was a pocket of sap, but it was unexpected for sure. Let alone anything that melts shots reflections everywhere. And with IR you are setting up a Very Dangerous situation for your self and everyone around you as well.

Last edited:

Ash

Do you even need glasses for an infrared laser?
also no need to be so sarcastic, I clearly stated I'm relatively new to lasers....
Yo! Gee-Money !!
You're a fucking dumbshit. You clearly didn't read the link I posted about laser safety. It is also evident that you have no desire to educate yourself about the dangers associated with lasers. You obviously just want a "toy" that you can show off at school. :undecided:
Specifically:
Laser radiation predominantly causes injury via thermal effects. Even moderately powered lasers can cause injury to the eye. High power lasers can also burn the skin. Some lasers are so powerful that even the diffuse reflection from a surface can be hazardous to the eye.

Diagram of a human eye.

The coherence, the low divergence angle of laser light and the focusing mechanism of the eye means that laser light can be concentrated into an extremely small spot on the retina. A transient increase of only 10 °C can destroy retinal photoreceptor cells. If the laser is sufficiently powerful, permanent damage can occur within a fraction of a second, literally faster than the blink of an eye. Sufficiently powerful in the visible to near infrared laser radiation (400-1400 nm) will penetrate the eyeball and may cause heating of the retina, whereas exposure to laser radiation with wavelengths less than 400 nm and greater than 1400 nm are largely absorbed by the cornea and lens, leading to the development of cataracts or burn injuries.
and
Protective eyewear in the form of spectacles or goggles with appropriately filtering optics can protect the eyes from the reflected or scattered laser light with a hazardous beam power, as well as from direct exposure to a laser beam. Eyewear must be selected for the specific type of laser, to block or attenuate in the appropriate wavelength range. For example, eyewear absorbing 532 nm typically has an orange appearance, transmitting wavelengths larger than 550 nm. Such eyewear would be useless as protection against a laser emitting at 800 nm. Furthermore, some lasers emit more than one wavelength of light, and this may be a particular problem with some less expensive frequency-doubled lasers, such as 532 nm "green laser pointers" which are commonly pumped by 808 nm infrared laser diodes, and also generate an intermediate 1064 nm laser beam which is used to produce the final 532 nm output. If the IR radiation is allowed into the beam, which happens in some lower-quality green laser pointers, it will in general not be blocked by regular red or orange colored protective eyewear designed for pure green or already IR-filtered beam.

Okay, i understand that it is dangerous. What do i need to get with it to operate it safely? I've already purchased a 50mw green laser, for something with a visible beam. I wasn't aware it was that dangerous to use an IR in public, so thats why i got the green

The Green you have can Hurt your Eye.

No matter the color any laser can hurt your eyes bud.

Stop thinking that it has something to do with how you see it.

It's doesn't matter. Even the laser you have can reflect and ruin your eye sight right now. It's just easier to see where the beam is pointing with a laser light that you can see. You need eye protection for each different color you own, so that when your using it in doors you can protect your eye sight. And use them when ever you are burning something, and your friends need a pair as well.

And do not burn things when others are around and do not have the right protection. And Don't go buy the cheapest laser goggles you can find. spend the $$ on the right goggles.

Be very careful with All Lasers, even the 5mW on amazon or Ebay are over spec and will ruin your eye sight on a reflection.

The higher the mW the more dangerous it is, no matter the Color.

ash, i read your fucking links last night so get your head out of your ass. Or are the hemroids in the way?

After you posted i fucking asked what i needed to protect my eyesت, but you're obviously to ignorant to have read my more recent posts.

and klogith, thats why im getting a 50 mw laser and the 200mw IR. From what i read 100 and up is where your eyes are pretty much fucked, so even though a 50mw could reflect in my eyes accidentally the chances of damage are less likely ( but still there ) All I'd like to know is what kind of glasses I'm going to need. I'm not worried on the price

SLPbum

Ya thats just scary... Kids with portable High powered IR Lasers???
Think I just might start wearing my glasses EVERYWHERE I go lol
Especially around schools...

RDCII

Ya thats just scary... Kids with portable High powered IR Lasers???
Think I just might start wearing my glasses EVERYWHERE I go lol
Especially around schools...

RDCII

lol im not taking the IR to school.. I just hadn't realised exactly how dangerous th IR is. Which is why i got a more weak green laser

lol im not taking the IR to school.. I just hadn't realised exactly how dangerous th IR is. Which is why i got a more weak green laser

You need to learn how to read. Obviously you don't give a crap what people say.

Your wrong a reflection from a 50mW will easily fry your eyes. And you Will hurt your eyes it's not a possibility, it's a guarantee.

You obviously don't Care because I was dealing with your crap and trying to help you and all you want to do is yell at people. You still are telling us you want a laser you can bring to school and burn things with. This means your not going to get everyone around you goggles and there-for run a Very High risk of hurting other people. :tsk:

Ash

ash, i read your fucking links last night so get your head out of your ass. Or are the hemroids in the way?

After you posted i fucking asked what i needed to protect my eyesت, but you're obviously to ignorant to have read my more recent posts.
Alright bro. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Calm down. We're trying to help you and educate you, but clearly you only see what you want to see. :tsk:
Sure you may have read the wiki on Laser Safety, but obviously you have a problem with comprehension as you still don't understand the dangers involved with lasers (visible or invisible).
and klogith, thats why im getting a 50 mw laser and the 200mw IR. From what i read 100 and up is where your eyes are pretty much fucked, so even though a 50mw could reflect in my eyes accidentally the chances of damage are less likely ( but still there ) All I'd like to know is what kind of glasses I'm going to need. I'm not worried on the price
First you need to know what laser you are going to have to protect your eyes from. You said a 50mW green and a 200mW IR (assuming 808nm). These glasses will protect you against both (green+ IR)--> Multiple Wavelength
You need to learn how to read. Obviously you don't give a crap what people say.

Your wrong a reflection from a 50mW will easily fry your eyes. And you Will hurt your eyes it's not a possibility, it's a guarantee.
This +1

jakeGT

Facepalm.jpg

Damn... that's right, some state's grade, middle, and high-schools had Spring break already.

I think that someone wanted to sting girls in the legs in class at their desks invisibly once skirts came back into season.

I only say this because I KNOW what I would have gone through my mind if I knew about >200mW IR lasers in high school and the only laser even remotely affordable wasn't <2mW HeNe rejects from American Science and Surplus.

:|

gmoney21o,

For your sake, and the sake of others, if you must have a burning laser, please don't get IR. With no beam to guide you, you will never even think of where the beam terminates, and if it reflects back into your eye, or someone else's that gonna haunt you for the rest of your life.

Think of it this way, would you be ok handling invisible knives while cooking, say chopping something? How about shaving with an invisible straight razor?

The New Style red laser 200mW /adjustable [OLNRL200] - $45.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products should be just fine for burning, and @200mw the beam will not be very visible if at all, but you will be able to see exactly where the beam is headed.

Please understand, with lasers there are three dangers;

1. Direct Hit straight from the laser.
2. Reflection of the beam.
3. Diffuse reflection from what doesn't appear to be reflective.

EVERYTHING reflects, it's only a question of how much. O-Like has cheap safety goggles, 650nm for $14.99. At the very least get those for the red.

With IR, it is just too easy to hurt yourself or others, refer to my earlier examples... Fact is, what you don't see, can and will hurt you.

Honestly, if it hurts you, IMO you would deserve it. If I were to check guns if they were loaded by looking down the barrel while playing with the trigger, I would deserve to get shot too :-/

Just as you respect the danger of other things, respect lasers. Stay safe.

-InfinitusEquitas

Last edited: