Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

No LPM? Not a problem, I got fog!

I'd be curious to know how much the power level drops off after going through 15 feet of fog from that machine :p

Nice looking beams :)

Nice going Alex.. Nice to see you putting grad money to good use

I'd be curious to know how much the power level drops off after going through 15 feet of fog from that machine :p

Nice looking beams :)

That's an interesting question, it would depend on the amount of fog of course but I bet it is a significant power drop or the beam wouldn't be so visible. I don't have a fog machine or I would try testing that. I sometimes use an oil burner or incense but that's not as much as a fog machine. Someone with a fog machine and an LPM should run a test. They would need any medium or high power laser that will still make a small dot for the LPM sensor from 15 feet away, maybe any of 405, 450, 532, may work better than others, and then just measure the power with the LPM before and after the fog, that should be easy enough.

Alan

That's an interesting question, it would depend on the amount of fog of course but I bet it is a significant power drop or the beam wouldn't be so visible. I don't have a fog machine or I would try testing that. I sometimes use an oil burner or incense but that's not as much as a fog machine. Someone with a fog machine and an LPM should run a test. They would need any medium or high power laser that will still make a small dot for the LPM sensor from 15 feet away, maybe any of 405, 450, 532, may work better than others, and then just measure the power with the LPM before and after the fog, that should be easy enough.

Alan
Super cool idea! I will run a test (with video) of this very thing this week sometime now that I have interest in fog power loss.
Alex I'll bet your kicking yourself for not holding onto that 593.5 now you have fog ? The beam in the fog would put you at ease every time.

Pman

Your camera sure makes it easy to spot which green is the 520nm. I've seen quite a few people say they don't see much of a difference which makes me wonder if they are pushing the 520nm too hard. I can definately also see the difference between any of my 520nm and 515nm. It's gotten easier to spot what wavelength they are now over time messing with them. Of course some people can't distinguish certain colors well too.
Fog machine to me is a must own if you don't have anything else. Have my main one and a backup that I haven't taken out of the box purchased for under $20 right after Halloween a couple years ago. Len always reminds everyone about them then.

Super cool idea! I will run a test (with video) of this very thing this week sometime now that I have interest in fog power loss.
Alex I'll bet your kicking yourself for not holding onto that 593.5 now you have fog ? The beam in the fog would put you at ease every time.

Thanks starlight I look forward to seeing that.

Your camera sure makes it easy to spot which green is the 520nm. I've seen quite a few people say they don't see much of a difference which makes me wonder if they are pushing the 520nm too hard. I can definately also see the difference between any of my 520nm and 515nm. It's gotten easier to spot what wavelength they are now over time messing with them. Of course some people can't distinguish certain colors well too.
Fog machine to me is a must own if you don't have anything else. Have my main one and a backup that I haven't taken out of the box purchased for under $20 right after Halloween a couple years ago. Len always reminds everyone about them then.

My cameras always show it different than how I see it. I think your right about the 520nm I just looked at the the data sheet for the PL520 and it can shift as high as 530nm. I don't know if the color difference would even be visible to most if there were as little as 2nm difference. I can see a difference between 445nm and 450nm.

Good idea buying a fog maching at the after Halloween sale.

Alan

Haha, im actually not too sad I got rid of my 593.5. It's nice but the duty cycle really limits the time you can enjoy viewing the beam :beer:

@Pman

Thanks! I was surprised as well how easily it can pick up the difference in colors.

-Alex

gozert

Haha, im actually not too sad I got rid of my 593.5. It's nice but the duty cycle really limits the time you can enjoy viewing the beam :beer:

-Alex

Definitely agree with you. The color/beam looks really nice, but you can only leave it on for about 30 seconds or so until it gets too hot. The brightness also really depends on the temperature.

Definitely agree with you. The color/beam looks really nice, but you can only leave it on for about 30 seconds or so until it gets too hot. The brightness also really depends on the temperature.

Yeah. Amazingly enough it was a pretty stable little guy, and temperature didn't affect it too much. How did it work for your gozert? It seemed fine with me when I used it in different temperatures but you may have gotten different results since your temp. differs from California :)

-Alex

gozert

Yeah. Amazingly enough it was a pretty stable little guy, and temperature didn't affect it too much. How did it work for your gozert? It seemed fine with me when I used it in different temperatures but you may have gotten different results since your temp. differs from California :)

-Alex

Overall it does pretty good. It starts really bright, then dims down to what I'd say is around 4mW. After having it on for 30+ sec it dims down a little more, but it's quite stable.