Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia to Ship Green Diode Laser

Benm

So it would seem.. and we got to get used to multimode diodes for serious power here. Considering the huge success of 445 nm diodes, i think we will find ways to deal with then eventually.

Narrow ridge lasers and wide ridge lasers have the same marginal costs, assuming yields are the same (which is a pretty good assumption here, I believe).

They went to a wider ridge for the power, and I believe they want the narrowest ridge that they can use and still get the minimum power needed. If they could get 1W with a 2um ridge, they would, and it would be single-mode. But they need a 15um ridge for the blue, so that make s a decidedly "decent" beam. Still much better than the 50um ridge that the red laser has though, and I believe that advantage could very well continue into the green diodes as well, without the need for such wide ridges for the extra power.

But who knows? Maybe the green diodes will need even wider ridges, but I guess we'll see in a few years.

I want one of these new green laser diodes. Bad. About 20-50 mW would be perfect. I like lasers I can play with and not have to worry about destroying my eyes.

As others have already mentioned this wavelength may be quite impressive at night.

I wonder how much they'll cost initially? It may be a year or two before they come down in price.

so Drlavas corrective lenses wont be enough to work with the 638 diode... that's... horrible

Benm

I wonder how much they'll cost initially? It may be a year or two before they come down in price.

Its just a matter of a product that uses them in great quantity. Think of how it went with the blue lasers: Any longer than bluray was mythical, then there were a few very expensive low powered diodes on the market and - Boom! Casio projector instantly dropped their price to $50-ish for 1 watt capable diodes.

Things

Saying that high powers of other colour laser diodes will never happen is fairly blunt. I'm sure many years ago, no one knew you could make a rock emit light. Blue and green diodes were thought to be impossible a few years ago, and now we have blues over 1W and green diodes in development.

This is an overused statement, but nothing is impossible. Well, some stuff is, but not what I'm going on about here.

gillza

I have found this today. I hope this adds to the discussion.

My apologies if it was already posted somewhere and I did not notice.

Green laser for microprojectors developed, microraves soon to follow -- Engadget

Now that I look at it it seems to be a DPSS system still.... My apologies I got too excited and it took better of my judgment...

What is interesting is that it is small for a DPSS system and projected cost is 10$ (if purchased in large quantities I assume)

Last edited:

gillza

Yep I meant to put that link but instead clicked on "direct" in the article and inserted that instead... Man i'm really out of it today....

Yep I meant to put that link but instead clicked on "direct" in the article and inserted that instead... Man i'm really out of it today....

Why don't you adjust your post with the right link and we can delete these subsequent ones?

-Scott

gillza

Why don't you adjust your post with the right link and we can delete these subsequent ones?

-Scott

It's ok :) maybe someone will find the old article interesting and I feel kinda bad adjusting information that was read and commented since.