Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia NUBM44-V2 laser diode datasheet, where I can find it?

Hello there,
where I can find the Nichia NUBM44-V2 datasheet?
I need especific values of the curves, ESR and all the things related to this element, I was able to find some information on Project 450, but it wasn't enough,
can someone provide me the datasheet or any information related to this device? books, white papers, anything.
thanks.

Encap

There is no data sheet available.

Project 450 as much information as you are going to be able to get as it incorporates everyone else's information including DTRs. http://www.loneoceans.com/labs/project450/

As Lifetime17 pointed out go to DTRs site and read about different versions and see test results--everthing you need to know to be able to actually use one in the real world is there. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode As Lifetime17 mentioned use the search bar.

Beyond that contact Nichia and see if they will bother with responding to you.

Last edited:
There is no data sheet available.

Project 450 as much information as you are going to be able to get as it incorporates everyone else's information including DTRs. http://www.loneoceans.com/labs/project450/

As Lifetime17 pointed out go to DTRs site and read about different versions and see test results--everthing you need to know to be able to actually use one in the real world is there. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode As Lifetime17 mentioned use the search bar.

Beyond that contact Nichia and see if they will bother with responding to you.
Thanks for the information, I already contact with them, but there's no response.

Hi,
Please use the LPF search bar about ton of info , go to DTR laser shop and read more info . Do your homework its easy ...
google the NUBM44 diode even more info, its all over the place .
Rich:)
Even using duckduckgo ain't able to find anything related to the datasheet, I already search in this forum but there's no new information about the datasheet. Thanks for the advice.

Search for the part number of the block they came out of, you might find what you want from its data sheet, if there is a spec sheet for the block.

I found some good info on Endurance Lasers web site: https://endurancelasers.com/laser-components/ - I think the page is worth going to, but don't think the NUBM44 specs they show are for the laser diode itself, it appears the specs are for their equipment with the diode in it which is being run far below the power output the diode is capable of, that and their divergence and beam diameter specs are WAY off for this diode when used with a 6.33 mm diameter collimation lens which is the common one used in our pointers as well as CNC laser heads.

Good test info: Independent NUBM44 / 47 NICHIA diode test 7W Blue Diode 450nm Long Term Testing 09/02/19

NUBM44 is a high-power laser diode with 6 W of power from a small emitter. This blue laser diode is the highest power laser diode currently available for a laser with a single emitter or in a standard TO package. This GaN laser operates at up to 65 C

NUBM44 is similar to the Nichia NUBM47 laser diode. However, our tests indicate that the ‘44 has higher efficiency and lower threshold than the ‘47, as well as a similar lifetime. Both having an operating power of 6 W. The ability of both 450 nm 6 W laser diodes to be focused or collimated is nearly identical. For these reasons, as well as proprietary ones, NUBM44 is presently the best option for a high-power blue laser diode. *2 This info conflicts with a statement from DTR the diodes are the same diode whether from the 44 or the 47 block part numbers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the DTR LPF google store:

*The NUBM44 diode blocks have 8 diodes vs the NUBM47 diode blocks which have 10 diodes. Both blocks contain the same 7W NUBM44-V2 diodes.

6 watt optical power can be reached
@ 4.7A x 4.70 V = 22.09 W Input Power (by APS)
or @ 3.5 A x 4.53 V = 15.86 W Input Power (by DTR)

7 watt optical power can be reached @ 5.8A x 5.9V = 26.62W Input Power (by APS)
or @ 4.7 A x 4.77 V = 22.42 W Input Power (by DTR)

I also found this info on one of DTR-LPF's listings https://www.sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode :

...The NUBM44-V1 diode out of the NUBM44-71/NUBM47T blocks have been out of production for about a year now. It is now clear that the NUBM44-V2 diodes in the NUBM44-81/NUBM47-A1 blocks from currently in production projectors have an updated higher efficiency version of the diode.

*The above info appears to conflict with another statement I quoted here about the diode being identical whether from the 44 or 47 multi-diode blocks.

Last edited:

Arctos

I can guarantee you will never see an official datasheet with that model designation. Why that is I'm not allowed to say sorry.

And keep in mind I was the guy who was laughed off here years ago by some prominent members for saying 3W+ diodes were coming soon, when they were just breaking 1W.

I can guarantee you will never see an official datasheet with that model designation. Why that is I'm not allowed to say sorry.

And keep in mind I was the guy who was laughed off here years ago by some prominent members for saying 3W+ diodes were coming soon, when they were just breaking 1W.
So what's coming next ?
Is there a green array similar to the nubm31/34/36 coming soon ?
Tell me there's a 40w single emitter in the works. 😀

Arctos

So what's coming next ?
Is there a green array similar to the nubm31/34/36 coming soon ?
Demand for that is driven by market, right now what's out there is 'enough' for most applications. Just like how red diodes have gone almost nowhere except some slight power increases for single mode. The tech is there for decent jumps in red but no one wants to pay for it outside of massive integrated bars which are of no use to Laser shows or pointers, so it's sitting on a shelf in an R&D lab going nowhere, sadly. Closest thing some of you got to was those rare C-mount 5W diodes, I think they were derived from that same effort.
Don't get too excited for future blue improvements (ya'll drive them too hard lol).

For me the most interesting development is around 480-510nm, I'm waiting for someone to release a reasonably priced 488 MM. That said current pricing is already competitive in high end.

What about the prospect of quantum laser diodes, any news on that front for the commercial industry ?

Arctos

If you are meaning what I think you are that's way out of my area sorry, but that subject has been more often approached outside of the optical realm historically for a number of reasons. But of course there are some interesting laser experiments when it comes to quantum aspects of reality! But the most interesting thing down that sort of 'getting funky physics' line I've heard of, was an anti-satellite laser test that was so efficient, that large amount of the heat generated was actually dissipated into the beam(!). However you never know if it's true through the grapevine. The real juicy stuff people can't talk about - that is the sad side of industry.
Have seen some interesting stuff around for very broadband outputs though, I'd love to see more development there as it could be a little like returning to the old gas laser days but without the water and a village-worth of power :D

Yes higher quality beams from inexpensive laser diodes would be great, would make knife edging a lot more rewarding.
I'm sure you have seen this article.

Hello there,
where I can find the Nichia NUBM44-V2 datasheet?
I need especific values of the curves, ESR and all the things related to this element, I was able to find some information on Project 450, but it wasn't enough,
can someone provide me the datasheet or any information related to this device? books, white papers, anything.
thanks.
The diodes found in projector arrays are difficult to source.
As some mentioned, you may be able to find data sheets for the entire array, which will contain some of the information you are looking for.

For individual diode performance, if you take the empirical test data available from people like DTR, you can make a plot of efficiency (optical output power/total input power) vs. optical output power on the x-axis. This will generate a curve where the empirical peak efficiency closely approximates the manufacturer-specified operating power of the diode. These results vary from diode to diode, so you will have to accept the uncertainty of a small sample size, but it should be close enough.
If you are seeking additional information like divergence characteristics, the heat vs. wavelength relationship, and so forth, you can approximate, interpolate, or extrapolate using existing datasheets for similar diodes. Searching "Nichia laser diodes" will bring up a link to Nichia's production laser diodes. You can compare the empirical data to the datasheets they list on their site. The projector arrays likely use a variant of those diodes.
That's my $0.02. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
The diodes found in projector arrays are difficult to source.
As some mentioned, you may be able to find data sheets for the entire array, which will contain some of the information you are looking for.

For individual diode performance, if you take the empirical test data available from people like DTR, you can make a plot of efficiency (optical output power/total input power) vs. optical output power on the x-axis. This will generate a curve where the empirical peak efficiency closely approximates the manufacturer-specified operating power of the diode. These results vary from diode to diode, so you will have to accept the uncertainty of a small sample size, but it should be close enough.
If you are seeking additional information like divergence characteristics, the heat vs. wavelength relationship, and so forth, you can approximate, interpolate, or extrapolate using existing datasheets for similar diodes. Searching "Nichia laser diodes" will bring up a link to Nichia's production laser diodes. You can compare the empirical data to the datasheets they list on their site. The projector arrays likely use a variant of those diodes.
That's my $0.02. Hope it helps.
That's an excellent idea! I was able to find some good information about the reverse zener diode on Nichia's datasheets, but I'm not quite sure about the reverse diode at the output of the laser, 'cause it says that "it's used for electrostactic noise protection" insted reverse voltage protection, so that means that a simple 1/4W 1N4742 should be enough for 7W laser, right?

Got it! Going deeper on Nichia's page I found that they made 20W laser diodes based on arrays of 1W diodes, by your professional point of view, do you consider that it's better to implement an array of low power laser diodes, or go with high power laser diodes, thank's for the information, really interesting the quantum physics topic.
1610592512075.png

Arctos

Yes higher quality beams from inexpensive laser diodes would be great, would make knife edging a lot more rewarding.
I'm sure you have seen this article.

Very cool thank you, jogged some memory cells. I'll be a happy man when that tech is commercially viable and may even try help in that regard!

Knife edging is still the way to go for more simple diode combining, there are some other tricks but it's still year(s) to go for visible development.