Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nice yellow beam

Ash

If the beam would be of THAT visibility, the room would be illuminated by yellow light from the dot on the wall of whereever is that laser hitting.
Unless it's ending in a beam-dump (like most [professional] 20W laser systems should).
and, you can see that the guy (and his clothes) are lit up pretty well by just the beam
Also, beam reflects off some mirror there, but where is it going? It would appear it's taking 90° turn parralel to optical table, but somehow it's like going into the air, away from the table.
Looks like it is going off parallel to the optical table to me. The picture is just taken from a higher-angle and it makes it look like the laser is going "up" into the air. :cool:

Unless it's ending in a beam-dump (like most [professional] 20W laser systems should).
and, you can see that the guy (and his clothes) are lit up pretty well by just the beam

Looks like it is going off parallel to the optical table to me. The picture is just taken from a higher-angle and it makes it look like the laser is going "up" into the air. :cool:
Yeah? How about beam reflection in his goggles? That is, the lack of it?
:na:

Ash

Yeah? How about beam reflection in his goggles? That is, the lack of it?
:na:
The camera seems to be at the wrong angle to see the reflection of the beam on his safety glasses.
I still don't think it's "shopped" at all. :undecided:

Trevor

Eudaimonium, a nice beam dump eats light. I have one to use with my 1.5W 532nm system. It's the curvature of the glasses messing with what's reflecting. :)

That's definitely a real photo of 20W of 589nm goodness. :D

-Trevor

You can clearly see the optic pieces and table as reflection in goggles. Except the beam :p

But alright, if you guys say this is a real picture of 20W 589nm laser goodness, then it is.

Let's be in awe for a moment.

The laser is a Toptica TA / FA SHG pro at 589nm at 2W. When we run watt level 589nm systems the beam is very visible. I doubt it's been electronically enhanced. It doesn't mean there isn't a bit of fog in the air for the marketing shot.

Trevor

I think the reflection on the goggles doesn't include any area that has a laser beam, actually. I was bored so I labeled the picture. :p

-Trevor

Attachments

• 6bcfa4acae.jpg
    6bcfa4acae.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 229

Arshus

I'm betting that guy doesnt work for Toptica lol :thinking:

-Sal

Honestly it's too bad how cameras can't capture, and monitors reproduce, colors of lasers.

I mean, I understand about 405nm lasers, because blue sub-pixels in your monitor are only around 460nm or so, so it's not reproduceable, but hell, 473nm blue, 532nm green, yellow/orange lasers...

There's no excuse! Why are we wronged like so?!
900179.gif

Anyhow, who's forking over some cash to do accurate ocular testing of this laser's color?
26433.gif

@Droid
i took the paint tool from photo shop and i took the laser beam color and sprayed it over the color index pic left :) ehmm.. it's clearly yellow
2aj5lic.jpg

try it yourself

Last edited:
A very dim 589 source might look orange, while a very very bright 589 source will look yellow or even warm white.

You're a fool if you think there are no losses in color rendering between brightness of source, camera used, any digital editing that might be used, your personal monitor, your person ambient lighting, and probably a few factors I missed.

Even after all those factors are removed and two people see the same source at the same time in the same conditions in person, they might still see a different color.

HIMNL9

Uhm ..... a 20W DPSS 589nm laser (using a tunable distributed feedback laser diode as source, BTW) ..... just wondering the price of this little nice thing ..... how much lungs and eyes we have to sell, for it ? :p :D

Uhm ..... a 20W DPSS 589nm laser (using a tunable distributed feedback laser diode as source, BTW) ..... just wondering the price of this little nice thing ..... how much lungs and eyes we have to sell, for it ? :p :D

"As a side note, we are pleased to present this amusing fact: The Device is now more valuable then all the organs and combined incomes in [Subject hometown here]"

I would not be surprised if it costs more than an actual Portan gun (given that one exists).