Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newby question

All,

I'm a newby here and my only exposure to real lasers is working with military MILES training lasers.

What I would like to learn about and build is a laser to kill red paper wasps. I recall somewhere that a dual power system was made that would allow low power for aiming with an ability to hit a high power burst.

I need something that can kill/incapacitate at about 10-15ft.

DJ

PS, yes I hate red paper wasps, they are out to get me on my property.

DrSid

You can get 2W 445nm laser for roughly $100. You will need protection goggles as everyone around you. You can set some thing on fire with this. These lasers don't focus well at a distance, but 10 feet should work. You don't need aiming .. it will be continuous operation laser, you can hunt the wasp with the dot. Now I did not try it on wasps. It kills mosquitoes and stuff. It will for sure not be pleasant for wasp or even hornets. It most probably would damage it's wing to fly properly, and kill after longer exposure.
Still you should consider other alternatives. I have some pesticide in spray can which can by sprayed up to 15 feed distance, and it also cools the wasps so they fall to ground immediately. It's great on nests, as the poison will also kill wasps you don't hit right away.

Last edited:
I am trying to get away from the chemicals. I know they work great and watching the little bastards wreath on the ground makes me feel better (I have been stung real bad in the face, so now it's a real war, a jihad). Do you have any web links for acquiring a 2W 445nm laser?

DrSid

I am trying to get away from the chemicals. I know they work great and watching the little bastards wreath on the ground makes me feel better (I have been stung real bad in the face, so now it's a real war, a jihad). Do you have any web links for acquiring a 2W 445nm laser?

You're on it. Best way to go is have one built or prepared to complete buy forum members. Check this section:

Buy, Sell, & Trade - Laser Pointers

Note that not all people will sell completed laser, and that completed laser is always more expansive. If you have at least basic electronic skills, it's better to build one, and have only parts provided by forum members. It usually means just connecting few wires a putting the lasers mechanically together.

Thank you.

I think I can handle all the necessary skills and I have a machine shop to fabricate any of the metal/body components. If I can get a good understanding of components, my plans are to build a laser "rifle" using an old gun stock and adding a low power scope for sighting. From what I have read so far, allowing for a larger platform (the rifle stock) might actually be an advantage.

norbyx

Hello everyone, I am her just for introducing myself with all of you. so My name is MikeMoon and I am young man of 22 year old and I love to explore the new technologies. I have searched many things for the home security which I shared with you in my next posts.

WHY would you use anothers members thread to introduce yourself??? :gun:

I would be worried about setting the Paper Hive on fire
and maybe burning down your house...

That being said....

welcome.gif
to the Forum djglover7....

Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Profile if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

Last edited:
I would be worried about setting the Paper Hive on fire
and maybe burning down your house...

Jerry

Greetings,

That is an excellent point Jerry, besides in order to kill a bug you would need something a bit more powerful than a 2w or even 3w laser. I know from experience my 3w+ 445nm would only kill a bug if it stays still for 10's of seconds.
Now ants can be a crispy critter fairly quickly, but flying insects with the power of lasers we have would be useless. I know as I have tried.....

Moe

Ok, now I have to step in on this thread...

Do NOT attempt to burn wasps with a 2...or even 3W laser! It's unsafe on many levels, and it's going to piss off some wasps!

I have a 3W 445nm, and it takes many seconds to effectively burn any insect, but the tiniest! The only thing you're going to do effectively is piss off wasps.

Now, I'm not gonna wave around my naturalist credentials or anything, but this has got to be one of the worst ideas for dealing with wasps I've come across in some time.

Why don't you try something actually effective, cost efficient, and more holistic?

Do you really think you'll effectively control a wasp population with a laser?

:gun:

norbyx

I was wondering something, will a laser actually blind an insect? I mean if it can blind a human, a 3w laser should blind them inmediately.....
As for killing power, my 1.5w would kill a spider in like 3sec. A flying insect is more difficult but if the wasp is on its nest I think you could easily kill a few. I wouldn't do it since I don't like to be stung.

IsaacT

My old 2W 445 would spotfry a fly in a second flat. I also once cut the stinger off of a wasp with my 405nm. You need a good focus. Typically if it is on the ground aim a little to the side of it to focus to intensity and then move it to the bug you want to destroy.

With that said, I don't recommend it. Too much can go wrong. Call an exterminator and have them deal with it.

All,

I'm a newby here and my only exposure to real lasers is working with military MILES training lasers.

What I would like to learn about and build is a laser to kill red paper wasps. I recall somewhere that a dual power system was made that would allow low power for aiming with an ability to hit a high power burst.

I need something that can kill/incapacitate at about 10-15ft.

DJ

PS, yes I hate red paper wasps, they are out to get me on my property.

YIHAY PARTNER!

Welcome to the party.
Heres a little video that would help ya out on choosing your weapons grade laser. (jk , handheld grade)