Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser from WL?

My argument is that you cannot say this laser isn't "strong enough" because of the batteries it uses.

Also, "2AA host" is meaningless. You could use 14500's in a AA host. Though that's not really the point. Just pointing it out.

Also, you can get NiZn AA's that have over 1000mA/H.

Last edited:

Everyone arguing about batteries and power and stupid crap...Bottom line, if you really are a hobbyist, color WILL trump power. I would rather have a 1mW 500nm (if only) than a 50W 445nm. Power is not everything...Even more bottom line, this is just another overpriced, piece of junk laser from WL. Things to attract uneducated morons who have too much money.

P.S. That host does look really cool though, eh?

kilter

I know that the evo was an old laser but I don't think it was programmable. I may be wrong though.

Not at all iirc . This reminds me of the smartphone micro helicopters. Just another thing to bind to a phone. Start your car, fly a toy, blind your friends. What's next.

I normally don't reply to people being douche bags, but I like to every once in a while.

First off, I doubt that a pen style laser that runs off of 2 AA's can have decent use for a good amount of time as, say, a 500mW green, and if i'm wrong about that, then i'll admit it and apologize. Some people aren't into the lowered powered lasers, and it's not your call to bitch at them for it, since I don't see a crown on your head that makes you the supreme authority of lasers. You're trying to tell people to pick a different hobby because you don't agree with why they want certain laser types? And you say my post has zero meaning when your post is just trying to show off that oh-so-sweet elitism by trying to berate me.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but being an ass isn't going to help anything. We're here because we enjoy lasers. If you can't handle the fact that different people can enjoy the same hobby as you in a different way(as long as it's legal), then you must be the one who's in it for the wrong reason. Step off.

Last edited:
More whining

Look here, kid, I am simply saying that if all you are looking for is power, then you're selling yourself short.

There is plenty to enjoy in this hobby, and if you're just looking for 2W+ to show your friends how much you can burn, then you're not getting the full gambit.

I'm not trying to pull elitism on you or anything, just saying there is more to this hobby than high powered blues.

It's the type of person that joins this forum just because of the high powered blues, that makes me hate those diodes.

They ruined this hobby.

All that aside. There is much to be enjoyed from a 100mW 520, or 50-100mW single modes. You'll eventually just have to find that out yourself.

Not trying to say you're worthless addition to the hobby or anything, you're just not taking full advantage of everything you have at your disposal.

You joined this hobby at a great time. 12X diodes used to be fulled from $250-300 blu-ray burners. Now you can grab an S06J that does MORE than those $250 BDR-205's, for a fifth the cost. You'll eventually see all this.

Enjoy your cigarette lighters.

I found this when all I started to buy was high power. When the power fix wore off I found respect for wavelength.
very true as long as you can justify the extra cost of the exotics by all means i agree and if you can afford to
Buy them awesome .i agree power isn't everything ,but if you can't afford the exotics then you tend to move in the $ per mW way ie power ...

"First and foremost power is everything"
"I agree power isn't everything"

Uh, what?
Blaster, there's a trend going on here...

also it is not hard to make a post look decent on a phone... I'm managing pretty well right now

Last edited:
I just don't get how people can tell you the way you enjoy your hobby is wrong or unjustified. I know it's a crude analogy, but some people built cars strictly to be fast. Some like the appeal of an all original model t. Is one wrong or right because they are into different aspects of the same hobby? It's strange how quickly people are to throw out a demeaning statement to obviously make them sound superior. If you dont agree with someone choice, is it your duty to make them feel stupid. Just don't say anything and show some humility.

It's wrong to say it as a sweeping generalization.

I and many others enjoy exotics much more than crude power.

Contrary to that, many enjoy the 445's and won't accept anything else unless it's of par power/brightness.

Both of these are fine viewpoints, I can enjoy the color of my 473 while someone else enjoys lighting paper on fire from three feet away. It's when the burners or the wavelength collectors say "well yours don't matter" is where the sh*tstorm begins.

Ignorance breeds stupidity. That's one thing I've learned from the internet.

Call me a hypocrite, I do try to throw out my interests, and I find myself ignoring many stupid posts, but there are some that I do cross into the argument and say "wait a second..."

As I slowly advance in the hobby , I find the fascination with power is loosing it luster.. But to those that think it's not worth owning low power lasers, that fine by me. It's not my place to judge anyone's preferences. Even if someone makes a ludicrous statement, why do people get so upset? Just state and prove your point without being an ass about it. Many members do just that, but some take it upon themselves to "put these noob in their place". Is it really worth getting worked up about? A false statement someone made on a hobby forum is hardly worth making someone feel personally attacked. It's clear who wants to prove their point, and who is out to hurt people.

I don't like it. Especially the wireless control. Not much good can come of that :undecided:

I can see it being useful for a more stable, stationary laser, can turn it on and off without bumping it out of alignment, but let's be honest: how many WL Evo users do you think will be using these in a lab environment where positioning is critical? It's going to be more for setting up boobie traps that are triggered with a laser, or result in a laser scaring someone, or something else just as idiotic.

Personally I like both Power and wavelength. If I had only low powered exotic wavelengths I would mourn the loss of my high powered super bright burning beams of death j/k.(I would also be a much much poorer man:))
If I had only high powered 9mm I would mourn the loss of color in my life. everything would be so dull. And life would have no meaning j/k.

I like to have a balance of both power and rare wavelengths.:)

As I slowly advance in the hobby , I find the fascination with power is loosing it luster.. But to those that think it's not worth owning low power lasers, that fine by me. It's not my place to judge anyone's preferences. Even if someone makes a ludicrous statement, why do people get so upset? Just state and prove your point without being an ass about it. Many members do just that, but some take it upon themselves to "put these noob in their place". Is it really worth getting worked up about? A false statement someone made on a hobby forum is hardly worth making someone feel personally attacked. It's clear who wants to prove their point, and who is out to hurt people.
Very true + 1

Last edited:
Baseless ignorant assumptions

You assume that I like to show my friends that I can burn stuff without even knowing me. Are you some kind of telepathic? If not, then can it. I got tired of burning things a few months after I got into the hobby, back in 2010. All I care about now is visibility for the most part. It's funny how you like to assume that i'm just trying to show of for my friends when I tend not to mention my lasers to most people because I get annoyed with stupid questions from people wanting to use my lasers to shine at cars and other people.

I'm not even in the hobby for high powered blues, but that's mostly what i've been able to afford. I'd rather go with purple and green anyways. See how making random assumptions about people tends not to pan out?

Not even worth the bits.

You can get violet diodes, green modules, and red diodes, for a fifth the price that you paid for to get the 445nm diode. Also, the optics for them are cheaper if you don't want the G lenses, the 532nm modules generally already have lenses attached.

So basically, you're wrong.

Your decisions obviously weren't based on price. You are settling for blue, when both of the other options you mentioned, are cheaper.

You could have EASILY gotten a 500mW green for the price you paid for that Arctic. If you paid the new price, then you could have gotten 2 800mW greens that could have been 900-1000mW of green.

Or you could have made 3-5 12X lasers, or over a dozen 658nm LPC-826 lasers.

Failing to see your logic here.

Last edited: