Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser from WL?

I like it,

The host is sick looking :D low power or not.
Strip the paint, polish it to mirror.
Put a different diode in it and voila...

Last edited:
Same could be said for an eBay pen at almost same power.strip it down gold plate it put GITD rings on it with a better looking clip.,but more power is needed to make it a deal maker.That's most expensive part uping the power on DPSS green ....by the time you add on the extras you need to make it a smart laser over 300 dollars .....

Last edited:
It's a pen that uses 2 AA's, so it's not strong enough for me, nor does it have the duty cycle.

Same could be said for an eBay pen at almost same power.strip it down gold plate it put GITD rings on it with a better looking clip.,but more power is needed to make it a deal maker.That's most expensive part uping the power on DPSS green ....by the time you add on the extras you need to make it a smart laser over 300 dollars .....

I was not looking for a argument, it's my opinion :)

I don't like a polished e-bay pen sinds it's still a e-bay pen.

Don't like it ? don't buy it and miss out :)

I'm getting mine for free, make that 3

Like most i have so far :D

dX5LxVS.jpg

Last edited:
Argument no Neither am i just my opinion as well ,309 dollars for me is bit much for a 100mW green with fancy remote control bits.

Last edited:
.first and for most its a laser power is everything ....the rest secondary. Next 2014 toys. Nah pass .

How wrong can you be? This is what shows that you're still new around here. Power is NOT everything. If it's above ~100uW, it's visible, so it's still a viable laser for this hobby. I take it you're not interested in the 609nm lasers that may be coming out soon because they are "too low powered"? Lasers aren't just about burning.

Theres another thread on this ....but 100mW ie a eBay high power overspec pen power to me its a gimmick. I wouldn't waste my cash.Its controlled by your phone in four modes to do what exactly, that you cant do with your finger ...and variable power same a switch can do same thing a new toy but a gimmick, put it in a nice host triple the power same price you have my attention .first and for most its a laser power is everything ....the rest secondary. Next 2014 toys. Nah pass .

1. Worth the read.

2. When did this hobby become all about power? Before the 445nm diodes that ruined this hobby, it was just about being creative in building a decent looking, functional laser pointer out of household devices or other similar parts. Back when 20X diodes were harvested from their old DVD-burners and heatsinks made from steel washers.

What you said is honestly just dumb. I really wish I could be less blunt.

If you think this hobby is simply about more power, then pick another hobby. Please.

It's a pen that uses 2 AA's, so it's not strong enough for me, nor does it have the duty cycle.

That makes no sense. None. Being powered off of 2 AA's means nothing at all. How does that have anything to do with the "strength" of the laser?

You can build a 2W laser to work on 4.2V, that's only 1.2V higher than 2x AA's. You may even be able to do it with the 2x AA's but I've never done it, nor tried.

Your post has zero meaning in this thread. So thanks for that.

Doesn't have a duty cycle? What does that matter? So what if it's a continuous operation laser? There are projectors that do dozens of watts, that are continuous operation because of large heatsinks, and fans. Duty cycle has nothing to do with how much power it outputs.

I am getting so sick of posts like these.

Do people even TRY?

Last edited:

Which one is the 523nm I sent ya? I see a few Evo's in there.

@OP the Evo is not new.....they discontinued it and now have brought it back with a slight redesign and are calling it new. More smoke and mirrors to attract unknowing rooks

csshih

That makes no sense. None. Being powered off of 2 AA's means nothing at all. How does that have anything to do with the "strength" of the laser?

You can build a 2W laser to work on 4.2V, that's only 1.2V higher than 2x AA's. You may even be able to do it with the 2x AA's but I've never done it, nor tried.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but it's not only just voltage that matters. The current capacity of AA cells is decently high with a quality cell like an eneloop, but an alkaline? Forget about it.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but it's not only just voltage that matters. The current capacity of AA cells is decently high with a quality cell like an eneloop, but an alkaline? Forget about it.

I'm not saying a couple Duracells could do it, but simply saying that the two AA's is not enough power to have a high powered laser, is just ignorance.

There are plenty of 100mW+ greens that use 2x AAA's. The only reason this member isn't calling that "high powered" is due to only having two 1W+ 445nm portables.

Whoa nooo power is not everything. Sure, it's NICE to have a bright laser... but come on, appreciate the ones you can actually play around with.

I personally consider "high" power over 50mW. That's about where light starts to burn and melt physical materials with relative ease.

I found this when all I started to buy was high power. When the power fix wore off I found respect for wavelength.

Last edited:

csshih

What you said is honestly just dumb. I really wish I could be less blunt. twak:
But really..dump the superiority complex.

I'm not arguing about the definition of high powered.

Nor was Raiden. It was a personal opinion. Worth the read.

I'm correcting your statement that AAs would have nothing to do with the strength of a laser. They would.

For argument purposes, you are theoretically able to power a 2W(output, that is, not consumption) 445nm laser with 2AA... 445nm diodes are what, around 20% efficient? takes about 10W (ignoring driver losses, optical losses). In a 2AA series format that'd be 5A. In a 2AA host. :undecided: Yeah, nope. Not going there.

And for a company like WL, where alkalines are included and mostly used... nope, Nope, NOPE. Think of the returns for "defective lasers".