Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New items at NOVAlasers!

It's been a long time since I've heard anything from NOVA, but they have just added some new items and redesigned their website.

They now offer a 275mW pen, comparable to the Dragonlasers' "Aurora" and the "Alpha" is now available up to 225mW.

And the best part-- NOVA still has the best distributor prices on CNI products!

It's worth a look.

http://novalasers.com/

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Dammit, wish I hadn't seen that. :yabbmad: Now I am going to NEED to buy one. :p

That is amazing though that there is now 275mW of green in pen form. :drool: Wonder what pump diode it's got in there!

Last edited:
Dammit, wish I hadn't seen that. :yabbmad: Now I am going to NEED to buy one. :p

That is amazing though that there is now 275mW of green in pen form. :drool: Wonder what pump diode it's got in there!

I know what you mean. If I was still in the market for a high power green, I would definitely go for it. Hell, I may sell of some of my other lasers and get one anyway!

I would say it's probably a 1-1.2W pump. Anything more would be excessive and require too much power.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I know what you mean. If I was still in the market for a high power green, I would definitely go for it. Hell, I may sell of some of my other lasers and get one anyway!

I would say it's probably a 1-1.2W pump. Anything more would be excessive and require too much power.

It's always the same, as soon as I get my collection to a really great point, I say to myself "okay that's it, no more lasers". Then something like this comes along and I start buying more. :p This laser looks too great to pass up though, 275mW in a pen. *hyperdrool* If only it wasn't in the CNI "fat" host though. That host's lack of pen clip makes it more likely to take a gnarly fall. :undecided:

Last edited:
how does that pen host handle the cooling for 275mw??? and with a 100 on 20 off duty cycle???

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
how does that pen host handle the cooling for 275mw??? and with a 100 on 20 off duty cycle???

I think it's because it uses the CNI "phat" host. Much thinker than most pens, so I guess it has enough room for more heat sink material. Probably would be impossible in the classic sized pens.

Well crap. Now I must have one. Any chance we can get these in the CNI GB?

This is also the first time Nova has had <5mW pens; that spot has always been empty. It might be worth checking out, it might even catch up to the Lyra!

Does anyone else remember them having a third laser before, that went up to 500mW or close to that? I think it was called the Nova. Either way, it's not there now...

Last edited:
mmhhh.. i think this: novalaser committed a big error. it created 2 laser very similar... and buyer does not know if to buy one or the other. i am speaking of alpha HP and endeavor.

... BOTH use 3v battery. one cr2 one cr123. both have 1watt diode. BUT alpha cost slightly more..... BOTH have 1,2mrad.

the only difference? the alpha is long about 20cm.... and endeavor 15cm. alpha has 1mm biam diameter. endeavor 2mm.

someone could prefer 2mm diameter....at parity of power!! it is an insane bright beam. but who want burn better... should buy alpha. IT IS STRANGE that the only real difference is the beam diameter....

however.. optotronics continue to be the BEST CHOICE price/power for NON handheld lasers. yes.... have an endeavor in the hand.... outputting peak 300mw and stable 250mw of FILTERED green... is awesome.... but the price to pay is high.

the 150mw version cost 400$. with 200$ you can buy the same power from opotronics... yes... the pen is just a little more long.. but THINER....(parity)

i would really see these company to sell lasers at a better price.

if olike...rayfoss... and other "low quality" stores can sell pens that have 150mw (...filtered...could be 130mw of pure green) at LESS THAN 60/70$.......

i think that thay earn x20times$$$ what they pay for....

This is also the first time Nova has had <5mW pens; that spot has always been empty. It might be worth checking out, it might even catch up to the Lyra!

Does anyone else remember them having a third laser before, that went up to 500mW or close to that? I think it was called the Nova. Either way, it's not there now...
Yeah it was called the nova series, I don't remember the specific outputs but they still have it in the image on their site...
But I guess they're not selling iit at the moment and only are selling pens?

My best guess would be that they're in the process of retooling their product lines, and the highest power (what used to be the nova series) isn't done yet. Or it could just be a site error haha.

I have always wanted a high power x-series from nova...but could never justify the cost for power, even if they offer such high quality CNIs...sigh

Last edited:
mmhhh.. i think this: novalaser committed a big error. it created 2 laser very similar... and buyer does not know if to buy one or the other. i am speaking of alpha HP and endeavor.

... BOTH use 3v battery. one cr2 one cr123. both have 1watt diode. BUT alpha cost slightly more..... BOTH have 1,2mrad.

the only difference? the alpha is long about 20cm.... and endeavor 15cm. alpha has 1mm biam diameter. endeavor 2mm.

someone could prefer 2mm diameter....at parity of power!! it is an insane bright beam. but who want burn better... should buy alpha. IT IS STRANGE that the only real difference is the beam diameter....

Regarding the Alpha vs. Endeavor- The Alpha is meant as a FDA approved alternative with full 5-point safety features. The duty cycle is also longer.

however.. optotronics continue to be the BEST CHOICE price/power for NON handheld lasers. yes.... have an endeavor in the hand.... outputting peak 300mw and stable 250mw of FILTERED green... is awesome.... but the price to pay is high.

the 150mw version cost 400$. with 200$ you can buy the same power from opotronics... yes... the pen is just a little more long.. but THINER....(parity)

i would really see these company to sell lasers at a better price.

if olike...rayfoss... and other "low quality" stores can sell pens that have 150mw (...filtered...could be 130mw of pure green) at LESS THAN 60/70$.......

i think that thay earn x20times$$$ what they pay for....

Remember that in the laser market you get what you pay for.
For someone on a budget, Optotronics pens are good for the price/power ratio, but the quality of the newwish style pens is inferior to these CNI built units.

Even directly from CNI, a 150mW pen will cost you more than $200.
Why? Because you are paying for higher quality components.
The $400 price tag at NOVA is the markup you get when purchasing from a distributor. The extra $$ pays for quality control and customer support.
In my opinion, the price is fair. You will not find a high quality, pre-tested and metered 150-250mW pointer for a better price from any other retailer.

Everyone wants things to be cheap and affordable, but if you want the best, you will have to pay a premium. There is no way around it.

Edit:

But I guess they're not selling iit at the moment and only are selling pens?

My best guess would be that they're in the process of retooling their product lines, and the highest power (what used to be the nova series) isn't done yet. Or it could just be a site error haha.

I believe the NOVA series was available up to 300mW at least. I don't recall anything higher than that but that was a long time ago.

NOVA is a sister company of LaserGlow. This could account for the discontinuation of the Nova series, since LaserGlow offers the Aries, which is the same model only powered by C batteries rather than the 18650 that the Nova required.
NOVA's products are probably meant to fill in the niche of the smaller portables and pens, since LaserGlow does not offer green pens in excess of 5mW.

Last edited:
im my opinion... they should NOT SELL the alpha non hp series. it use the same 0,5watt diode of xseries... but cost more.....

they should only sell xseries with half watt diode.. and alpha hp + endeavor.....with LOWER PRICES for endeavor. alpha h p i think that has BETTER DUTY CYCLE....... because it's bigger size cools better the 1watt diode.

however IF I WERE A RICH MAN.... i would buy the 638$ 175mw endeavor pen...to have in the hand 330mw(i suppose) peak power and nearly 300mw of stable beam.

that's my "dream"............ i will never buy an handheldlaser.......too big to bring everywhere..... and could surely catch the POLICE ATTENCTION..... :( :( argh!!!! prison :p :p :(

@ra_pierce: optotronics pens are not newwish quality i think..( or i hope). the only thing similar to newwish is the host....probably a cheap host(but good if usen in so much pens)...the 1watt diode i think is made of good quality..........every member that bought an opto pen... said that can not notice a rapid and constant GROWING heat from the pen... differently by all others cheap 120/150mw pen...(like o-like.....rayfoss...and all others).
so if a module does not get woo warm rapidly i think it is made of good materials... like cni pens.....(i don't think that optotronics would have bad reputations selling pens that after some months....will broken :) )

Last edited:
I believe the NOVA series was available up to 300mW at least. I don't recall anything higher than that but that was a long time ago.

NOVA is a sister company of LaserGlow. This could account for the discontinuation of the Nova series, since LaserGlow offers the Aries, which is the same model only powered by C batteries rather than the 18650 that the Nova required.
NOVA's products are probably meant to fill in the niche of the smaller portables and pens, since LaserGlow does not offer green pens in excess of 5mW.
Oh I was not aware that they were sister sites; this logic makes a lot of sense then.

+1 for the sensible and all-around informative post, I couldn't agree more with your "quality vs. price" summary.