Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

New Gadget - 355/532/1064 Q-Switched YAG

diachi

Sorry for the double post, figure I waited long enough though!

Managed to get a couple beam shots last night. :D Not the best unfortunately, really needed more smoke in the air.

The divergence is still quite high, can't do much about that until I have better optics. Hopefully I'll be able to get a tighter beam and some more power then. Going to take me a while to get all of the necessary parts.

paul1598419

Oooo! I like it. I am envious, diachi. Why didn't you get some of the 532nm running? I'd love to see that as well. :D

diachi

Oooo! I like it. I am envious, diachi. Why didn't you get some of the 532nm running? I'd love to see that as well. :D
All of the 532nm lasers I have are much more powerful than the dye laser, so they'd have washed out the image. The 532nm pump was of course pumping the dye, so there's really not much coming out the other end. :beer:

Once I get the power up and divergence down it should be doable! :D

paul1598419

I didn't mean for you to do beam shots of the dye at the same time as the Nd:YAG 532nm laser. Just would like to see some beam shots of it. You got so very, very lucky with this laser.

diachi

I didn't mean for you to do beam shots of the dye at the same time as the Nd:YAG 532nm laser. Just would like to see some beam shots of it. You got so very, very lucky with this laser.

Ahh right! Fair point, I posted some beam shots but they weren't great. I'll need to get some better ones and post them! That beam is tight!

paul1598419

Thank you. I will look forward to those. I know it will be something to behold. :)

LSRFAQ

Do me a fave, seal her back up and get a dust free desiccant canister near the THG... Trust me on this, cleaning those big crystals is a witch and the solvent used is very very hard to get for amateurs. You need an air puffer with brush (NOT CANNED AIR) to gently blow off any dust that is already there.

Aligning for 355 is painful as the crystal has a very long thermal time constant. It will act aligned for a few seconds with a very high peak power out , then heat up, the power falls, and you'll need to trim it again. Can be on the order of a half hour job or more. There will be two or three false peaks and ONE real one. You have a couple of crystals there in the 1500-2500$ minimum replacement class.

Damn, gotta get me one of those.. Forget the dye, you may have just enough UV energy to power a small four mirror OPO.

Steve

Last edited:

paul1598419

Good to know, Steve. I normally don't open my SHG or THG lasers unless it is necessary as I am always concerned about contaminants. Even though the temptation to look is overwhelming, I do try to resist as I don't want to go through any of what you are warning about.