Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New camera, better laser pics

Wow, nice pics!

That reminds me, I need to get some good beamshots...

What's the model of the camera?

Trevor

D5100... I approve. :D

Also, stay away from low ISO. I keep mine at 400 usually. There is both high and low ISO noise.

-Trevor

Helios

Very cool! I have to admit I like both the realistic and plasma looking pictures. One is great because its what you see and the other I like because it looks like something out of a james bond movie.

Is that my host I see up top in picture 3?

the pics are really clear
love the lasers as well
and nice choice in vodka as well :beer:

RL-118 by JayRob & Tiny 445 by Yobresal:

i-BmpsQcS-L.jpg

Holy crap those are nice! What glass are you using with the D5100? I have a similar camera (D90) and with a few exceptions haven't been able to get results like that before!

jib77

I have a D90 also. Since the D90 is more towards the "pro" end of the spectrum, the default camera settings (saturation, contrast, sharpening) are on the conservative end of the scale given that the end user will tweak it to their liking. Also the D5100 is using the new generation of CMOS sensors and much improved processing algorithms in the firmware.

@danefex ... dangit I can't rep you yet, o well ... congrats on your new camera.

Last edited:
I would most definitely use a tripod first of all, then for a nice effect i would use long exposure (about 3 sec for laser, but it depends on the light source) with a fairly reasonable f5.6. I leave ISO on automatic.
If I don't like something, then photoshop is a nice solution :p

Holy crap those are nice! What glass are you using with the D5100? I have a similar camera (D90) and with a few exceptions haven't been able to get results like that before!

Thanks:) I'm using the stock lens that came with this model & this one below for distance/zooming...

lens.jpg

I have a D90 also. Since the D90 is more towards the "pro" end of the spectrum, the default camera settings (saturation, contrast, sharpening) are on the conservative end of the scale given that the end user will tweak it to their liking. Also the D5100 is using the new generation of CMOS sensors and much improved processing algorithms in the firmware.

@danefex ... dangit I can't rep you yet, o well ... congrats on your new camera.

Thanks Jib! I owe you a rep too anyways & it still wont let me :crackup:

I would most definitely use a tripod first of all, then for a nice effect i would use long exposure (about 3 sec for laser, but it depends on the light source) with a fairly reasonable f5.6. I leave ISO on automatic.
If I don't like something, then photoshop is a nice solution :p

Thanks and will do. I can't get a clear low light picture without a tripod, I couldn't agree more :beer:

Last edited:
Thanks and will do. I can't get a clear low light picture without a tripod, I couldn't agree more :beer:

No problem man, keep in mind that if the light source is bright and you want detail you will need a big f-number (not too big) but in manual mode. I suggest starting to experiment in aperture and later shutter priority first then, start using manual mode :beer:,

Nicky

gksudo

DSC_0302.jpg

Woah man! In a self defense situation, if the laser doesn't scare them away, the sharp spikes on the front will!

i got a canon DSLR but for some reason 445nm looks like 405nm o_O i havent tried to play with color settings yet.. but i would have expected that it would catch those colors better then what i am getting now.....

all other colors look perfect on it:thinking:

Depends on the setting. If you are still having problems try manually resetting the camera to factory.

Tonga

Gah!!!! :drool:!! Fantastic, really nice stuff there too!;)!

Woah man! In a self defense situation, if the laser doesn't scare them away, the sharp spikes on the front will!

HA indeed! I hope I'll never need to use any of my lasers in a self defense situation, but the 'assault' crown on the Solarforce host is one of the fiercest bezels I've ever seen. This one is a close second :beer:

Gah!!!! :drool:!! Fantastic, really nice stuff there too!;)!

Thanks! There's no comparison between the quality of pictures I get from this DSLR to my previous point & shoot digital camera :beer: