Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New build, and a new guy!

Wmacky

I decided to check out this forum 3 days ago, and was instantly hooked! I have some basic electronics knowledge, mainly in tube gear, but no formal training. However, I did do a scratch build of a high performance audio vacuum tube amp a while back. I have good soldering equipment "Hakko", and even some decent test gear such as an oscilloscope.

I've already put in about 20 hours reading this weekend! :beer: and have even put in some orders. I have a X4 LPM on the way, and working on some certified glasses for a forum member. For the build, I have decided on, and ordered a MS-SSW 3 host with one of DTR's 9mm 445 diode / module packages, and put in the orders for both. I've even boned up on how to remove the praised G9 lens!

My biggest issue id the driver amperage. I'm going with a V6 Xdrive in either 2.2 or 2.4 amps. Reading the super long 445 thread has left me confused. Some people were getting dimming at 2.1 amps, while DTR recommends 2.4?

What say you? I would be willing to sacrifice some power to gain diode life. Must I purchase a Lab supply to test the actual diode I receive? perhaps it would be easier to just to go 2.2?

Last edited:

Greetings,

I normally use drivers that are advertised at 2.5a, but are normally closer to 2.3 to 2.4a. At 2.4a your normally going to get around 3w with a G9 or similar lens. If you are concerned about diode life, but still want to get close to 3w I would suggest a current of 2.3a. You will likely get from 2.5 to 2.9w with a G9 or similar lens and as long as you don't run it for too long, should give reasonable life expectancy.

cheers,
Moe

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF Wmacky,
You definitely seem to be hooked! It looks like you've done you're homework also.
You've made some good choices for a high quality 1st build; you can't go wrong with DTR and sinner.
The MS-SSW is a great host, I have it's baby brother, the "stubby" version. As far as driver settings go, I've seen a lot of guys go with 2.4 amps with no problems at all.
I have my 9mm set at "only" 2.1 amps, and it still does 2.8W.

Have fun and be safe. :beer:

Jeff

Welcome to LPF.---:>)

The 9mm 445nm diodes (Nichia NDB7875) seems to be pretty robust and can take a
current of 2 to 2.5ma and can be expected to live a long life. If they are properly heatsinked!!!
Heat is your enemy and not addressing it will cause a premature or immediate diode failure.
Sinner MS-SSW 3 is a good host, great for a first build, as mentioned above, high quality.
The G9 lens will give more power out at the expense of beam quality (beam divergence).
A 3 element lens will provide a little less power, but a much better beam profile.
Have fun and be safe.

Wmacky

Well now I'm starting to lean toward the 2.4! Anymore votes for it? Looks like I might put in another order with DTR for both a G2, and a 3 element for a little experimentation. I also want to order my Xdrive today. DTR was out but I think the guy with the bowl headed cat avatar has them! he's out of the 2.3 so it's 2.2 or 2.4!

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That would be Flaminpyro, he is another great choice for components, and also custom machining. Also, check out his wire and solder flux; good stuff!

Last edited:

Wmacky

Thanks everyone!

Well, I went with the longer life 2.2 option. I'm sure that will still be a real handful! Flaminpyro seemed to ship it within a few hours! Eveverthing should start coming in starting today with DTR's stuff, and the x4 LPM tomorrow. Most excited to get the MS-SSW, but alas that's coming from the otherside of the earth.......

I also have batts , Nitecore charger, and a mini tripod / clamp arriving within days. The Laser glasses are 2 weeks out! :-(

Who's got a 20C they want to sell! :)

Last edited:
2.3 amps is plenty safe. Mine hit 3.2 watts at that current. :)

3 watts of power is a beast! Be safe!!!

-Matt

kilter

+1 for being one of the very few "newbs" who actually read and don't expect people people to spoon feed! :beer:

Wmacky

Done!

Finally got a chance to assemble. It works! Yeah!

There was enough build threads for the MS-SSW floating around that I was able to do the deed without much confusion, and additional questions. Can't wait to try it out tonight. I wanted around 3 watts, but didn't really want to push the diode very hard. The 2.3 amp Xdrive was out of stock, so I went with the 2.2 version instead. The power measured out at 2808 mw. That pretty close, and my understanding is it's essential little different than a full 3W.

I think it's enough for a 1st build, and really a first laser more than 60ms. :)

Last edited:

IWIRE

Welcome to the forum ! 2.2a will give you a good output and should be safe. I wouldn't want to push it on my first build either. Seems like every diode is a little different. After you get your lpm and a good power supply, you can start testing each diode and find it's sweet spot. Then match the drive current to what you want.
My last build with that diode I set it to 2.4a. That particular diode could have been set higher. http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/go-army-g-i-jane-pics-89204.html
I did two 3.5w diode builds and the first one I did like you and was conservative
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/started-ms-ssw-i-v-pics-88840.html
The second 3.5w build I wasn't conservative at all. I already had one that worked and will live a long time :) So I pushed this one just below where the output stopped gaining.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/introducing-deuces-wild-5-4w-89077.html
Some people have got 6w out of that diode. This diode wasn't one of them :(

Your right about spending a lot of time searching the forum. I still find stuff I haven't seen before. That's the way I went about it too. Study the forum then start building.
Good luck with your build ! Sounds like your off to a good start ! :beer:

Congrats on your conservative approach to power.
Some of us have seen 3+ watts and are now into
corrective optics and color. Just one watt is enough for any
beginner (with goggles!).
HMike

Last edited: