Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Boost Driver in Dev

Re: New Boost Driver in Dev *Asking for investors*

What if it was a multi turn pot? Though I don't know if they make them that tiny. Hm.

Or a course and fine pot? But once again, limited space.. Jumpers sounds like a good idea now that you put it that way, lol..

Wel im certainly not a expert with these kinda of electronics so i have no idea on what kind of pots exist..... it was just something i was wondering:p

Yeah. I've messed with this type of stuff on a larger scale, but nothing this tiny.

I'd like to help be an investor. Pm sent

Thanks so far for every one who has PM'd me for further info. Please keep them coming in and I will answer as many questions as I can.

With a range of 0-2000ma will you also use jumpers? like on the flex/microboost?
id imagine if you used just the pot to go from 0 to 2000 it would be kinda hard to hit lets say 425ma. ( pots do just go 360° right? )
Also will you use the somewhat "sturdy" pots?

It will most probably have jumpers, but I must talk to the engineer about that first. If this is the case I will be designing the board with solder pads for each resistor in order to help with bridging.

Again with the Pot, I'm pretty certain it will have one, but again I must talk to the engineer about what kind of pot he will use etc.

All the parts are going to be of good quality... so they should be sturdy, yes!

Last edited:

Maybe you could have little DIP switches. But then you would have to worry about them being accidentally flipped and then unleashing 1+ amps into a diode.

Maybe you could have little DIP switches. But then you would have to worry about them being accidentally flipped and then unleashing 1+ amps into a diode.

i think that would make it to big...not sure though, but i like the idea of little solder pads to bridge.

Yeah, me too, as long as there isn't a resistor jammed right next to it.

Investor inquiry PM sent. ;)

jimdt7

Waiting to see it !

Johnyz

Interesting. But seriously, as a driver inventor myself, I must say that 2A ina a 9x12 package is going to be very hard, if not impossible. At first I thought "finally learning" how they work (boost drivers) was everything needed, but the reality to make them stable and reliable is a lot more work. It took me over two weeks just to narrow down the inductor selection. Making a good boost driver is very hard. Flexdrive was not that overpriced... Time spent designing costs something, too...

Hey bobhaha...

do you have a working prototype that proves the
output voltage/current/stability of the driver ??

For the $1100.00 how many working drivers will be
included in the 1st production batch... or is that only
the engineering costs ??

Jerry

Last edited:

It sounds like he's wanting an 'interest free loan with a non-fixed repayment date' rather than 'investors'.

When 'investors' put money up for things, they don't just want their original money back, they expect MORE than they invested back in the long run.. And if they front the majority of the cash for something, then they typically expect a large percentage cut of all future sales in return for them paying for other peoples projects. There are also legally binding contracts involve as well.

So even though he says he wants 'investors' I doubt that's really what he has in mind.

It sounds like he's wanting an 'interest free loan with a non-fixed repayment date' rather than 'investors'.

When 'investors' put money up for things, they don't just want their original money back, they expect MORE than they invested back in the long run.. And if they front the majority of the cash for something, then they typically expect a large percentage cut of all future sales in return for them paying for other peoples projects. There are also legally binding contracts involve as well.

So even though he says he wants 'investors' I doubt that's really what he has in mind.

I've PM'ed him, and he's definately offering a return for investors :)

Johnyz

^^ That. This investment may be pretty risky, especially when the money return time will be long after PayPal or Visa chargeback runs out. Also, $1100 for the first run? Seems a bit pricey... not sure about Dr. Lava, but Jib has started out with small quantities and slowly began to make more and more. Doing a full large run without any "market testing" (I mean selling small runs) (to estimate the demand) is, as said, just risky.

I've PM'ed him, and he's definately offering a return for investors :)

Qumefox is correct...
As stated in the 1st Post Updated paragraphs...
The return offered is exactly the amount "invested"..

UPDATE: 22/08/2011

I was wondering if any members here would like to invest a small chunk of the start up costs to the project. They will get back their contribution once the drivers go up for sale.

-Adrian

Jerry

Last edited: