Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 520nm diode on DTR's site (1W) NUGM01T

Here is good div calculator: pseudonomen137's JScript mRad Calculator

You could try to put the stock lens back on to test power throughput. I am also curious as to how the stock focus is. Too late for that test:)

Did you read my last post? The way the stock "Gball" lens/can is, it will slip back over the diode. The only issue is that it would be a TINY bit further away from the diode. Maybe 0.25 to 0.5mm further from it. Close enough to still get a decent idea of how it is focused. Anyone think there would be any problems doing it this way?

And thanks for the calculator. I've found those before and bookmarked them, but I want to understand the formula before cheating. :)

.25 to .5mm is way too far off to get an idea of the focus. That is the same as turning a G2 lens in a standard M9 .5 holder 1/2 - 1 full turn away from focus.

but I want to understand the formula before cheating.

You could also use trig. Just think of the beam as a triangle.

Last edited:
I think it'd be safe to test it up to 2.4A (but don't blame me if I'm wrong). That deviation from the 7475's curve might be due to the diode heating up during testing or something.

Last edited:
.25 to .5mm is way too far off to get an idea of the focus. That is the same as turning a G2 lens in a standard M9 .5 holder 1/2 - 1 full turn away from focus.

You could also use trig. Just think of the beam as a triangle.

Yea, after I posted that, I thought "wait, that's probably at least a full turn." Lol. I do want to at least try and see how far it goes. But I think that's a big overestimate, honestly. Look at this macro I took. The lip, if that is even its purpose, is 0.1mm or less above the case. I'm going to give it a shot. You can't know if you don't try. Lol.

[URL=http://s356.photobucket.com/user/TaterMay22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-09-10-08-21-04_zps1raiwus2.png.html][/URL]

I think it'd be safe to test it up to 2.4A (but don't blame me if I'm wrong). That deviation from the 7475's curve might be due to the diode heating up during testing or something.

I think so as well. It seems to be incredibly close to the 7475's output. I don't think it would be a temp difference, as my heatsink was a bit larger than the one shown in DTR's test photos. I would say it's probably either insignificantly lower in output or simply variance from diode to diode. We can't say with any confidence without more data.

I know there has been at least one other test done on the NUGM01T, and it was pretty much spot on with this one. Very slightly below the 7475, but nearly identical. I will provide data for higher current testing tonight. And divergence. Regardless, I'm super excited to have 7475 performance at a (RELATIVELY) lower price. I say relatively with the utmost emphasis. Lol. I wish I could build as many of these as I do the 7875's. One day, my friends. One day. :D

Last edited:
WOW a 1 watt green diode for a lot less money, what a find, man I hope they don't run out before I get mine.

Last edited:
So I updated it with higher current. Mine looks like it will stop increasing around 2.6 or 2.7 amps. I also noticed that the current for the NUGM01T graph was the same data as the 7475 for some reason. Corrected that, so the other graph is slightly off. I will update it as well.

[URL=http://s356.photobucket.com/user/TaterMay22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/NUGM01T%20Graph-1_zpswpmg3npq.jpg.html][/URL]

Beam divergence at 5m was:
G2 - 5.25mm x 21.5mm
3-element - 2.8mm x 9.95mm

I'm going to attempt these measurements again, as they appear worse than the 7475. Maybe I overlooked something. It was measured with calibrated digital calipers.

Last edited:
That seems very close to a 7475 with the same lenses.

I was thinking DTR's measurements were taken at 10m, but I just looked, and they're from about 8m. I will get measurements from 10m tonight. My wife was already asleep, and I didn't want to wake her up by shining a 1.3 watt 520 in our bedroom. Lol. That's the only area I can get the full 10m without mirrors.

Did you test it with the 3 element lens at 2.5A?

For power output, no. I forgot all about it. I will test that when I get home this afternoon. Will report back in a few hours.

Man those prices have dropped drastically on the N7475 since I bought mine. Think I paid over $600! Ah the joys of the tech age. But I'm really happy with my purchase and am guessing it's a better beam than this new diode but choices and variety is the spice of life.

I was thinking DTR's measurements were taken at 10m, but I just looked, and they're from about 8m. I will get measurements from 10m tonight. My wife was already asleep, and I didn't want to wake her up by shining a 1.3 watt 520 in our bedroom. Lol. That's the only area I can get the full 10m without mirrors.

For power output, no. I forgot all about it. I will test that when I get home this afternoon. Will report back in a few hours.

Sounds good, thanks for testing!

I not sure if the labeling is correct on that image from DTR. If you click the link it says about 30mm at 25 feet with G2. 30mm is what I get with my 7475's with a G2. Makes for about 3.8mrad. It would be great to get a side by side of both the nug and ndg.

I not sure if the labeling is correct on that image from DTR. If you click the link it says about 30mm at 25 feet with G2. 30mm is what I get with my 7475's with a G2. Makes for about 3.8mrad. It would be great to get a side by side of both the nug and ndg.

That is DTR's image.
It says 22.895 @ 25 feet making the 7475's line 0.916 mm per foot.
You said 21.5 @ 16.4 feet making the 01T's line 1.31 mm per foot.
That makes it 143% as divergent, and in the night sky it will be a slightly noticeable difference.

Still for the price difference it's not that far off, and it will look plenty bright and awesome. :) :) :)
I think the best thing to do is get 1 of each and judge for ourselves, but they will both look great.

Last edited:
I just went and measured my 7475's with a G2. At 25 feet I am seeing 29mm. Could be a bit less as its really bright. I also checked my notes and I was seeing 3.6mrad with a G2. This was measured at over 100 feet.

Comparing my measurement to taters it looks like the nug is about 15% more divergent.

I still think we could be within measurement tolerances and they are actually the same.

Last edited:
I just went and measured my 7475's with a G2. At 25 feet I am seeing 29mm. Could be a bit less as its really bright. I also checked my notes and I was seeing 3.6mrad with a G2. This was measured at over 100 feet.

Comparing my measurement to taters it looks like the nug is about 15% more divergent.

I still think we could be within measurement tolerances and they are actually the same.

Yea there both really bright green beams, I will at some point get 1 of each and see what looks best to me, because what pleases your eye is what really counts.
Also costing less is always a plus.